Do you wash your belt?

The whole you'll wash your skills away is BS (obviously). And for anyone wondering if it affects you mentally - I started washing my belt and then started improving a lot faster.

It's not sweet and poetic.

It's filthy and germ infested.

You can do what you want though, because everyone has the right to be an asshole.

haha

-this thread has reminded me to wash my ankle wrap.
I should own stock in McDavid btw

I wash my belt after every four or five training sessions. I probably should wash it every time because it can get kind of gross but it wears out much quicker when you wash it. I can notice the difference in the wear of the belt every time I wash it.

I wash my belt after every evening class. When I do two a days, it won't dry between afternoon and evening, and I figure a slightly wet, clean belt is just as bad from a sanitary stand point than a dry, not fully clean belt.

i've actually never washed one of my belts before. i guess it's about time eh?

The mats get sanitized after every class.
Most people on my team hit the showers right after class.
I wash my gi right when i get home from class with a bit of detergent every time.

But we also (for the most part) don't wash our belts. I hang my belt to dry overnight when I get home. I've yet to hear of anyone getting staph, ringworm, etc.

I'm not saying we all shouldn't. I'm just sayin'.

i don't wash my belt cause i already suck enough at BJJ, washing the belt also results in some of your skills being washed away, everyone knows that

training partners

Oh I know. I respect my training partners. I do right by them.

But unless his school is going to go on a witch hunt, he's going to have to be the one to police himself. And if he isn't, then he's an asshole.

We all are blessed and cursed with the right to chose what we'll be....good or an asshole.

He's chosen.

I wash it to soften it up, it holds a knot much better as it softens. I'm not getting a Gameness belt when I get my purple though. I'm going for a brand that's soft right out of the wrapper.

I wash my belt every training day. It gets ranker than a most of my gis. I should probably take the time to soak it in vinegar for about an entire day to get rid of an residual funk.

I know it's raunchy not to, but the reason I don't is because a buddy of mine washed his once and now his belt BARELY fits him. So I don't need to take that risk of spending more money than I need to.

not on purpose every once in a while it will get tossed in, but generally no.

I know it's raunchy not to, but the reason I don't is because a buddy of mine washed his once and now his belt BARELY fits him. So I don't need to take that risk of spending more money than I need to.

If you wash it in cold water and don't put it in the dryer it won't shrink much if at all. I've washed many different belts of different brands and thicknesses and they never shrunk as much as your friends seemed to. It could have been that the belt he had was on the small side for him to begin with. If you do decide to wash it, don't dry it!

My instructor told me to never wash my belt.

I will occasionally wash it though.

Maybe once a month. Or if i accidentally leave my GI in its bag overnight, and my belt is there too.

Then, fuck yeah, because it stinks like hell.

Back