Do you think prime Anderson Silva could defend against the Caucasian wrestlers?

the MMA community when they realize jones anderson Izzy Usman DC
and Mighty mouse are all currently the TOP 10 Greatest of all time

at the end of the day Anderson silva is number 2 of all time.....
and all them wrestlers who can out wrestle him are what?
/thread

True and he hit that switch on nate Marquardt. I expect guys like Khamzat, Bo, and maybe some Russian wrestler that joins out of no where to have better wrestling than Brunson. I think MW has pretty garbage wrestling right now for the top guys and are getting exposed soon. I know Yoel was touted as an amazing wrestler before but he hardly used it as he got older and certainly couldn't hold guys down without burning his own cardio. So yeah Silva would've been fine until a new gen of wrestlers come and dominate.

I don't see it. Silva has already fought guys with wrestle heavy game plans and still won.

I think you are confusing two different things. Guys used to fight off their back more back in Silva's time - true or at least it seems true on the surface. Fighting off your back was a winning tactic during Silva's time - not true, it was a MAJOR disadvantage to fight off your back.

Silva's era if you were taken down, regardless of any damage that was done, you often lost the round. This era is actually much more balanced to properly grading the ground game in the context of an actual fight. Someone can get taken down like 3 or 4 times in today's game and still win the round because the guy who took him down didn't do anything while getting pieced up on the feet.

Just because Silva could fight off his back didn't mean he wanted to be there or that he was easy to take down. Any fighter who is incredibly fast and accurate with their strikes is not going to be easy to takedown (see Lyoto Machida blowing up wrestlers for much of his career, who also comes from that era where bigger guys had BJJ blackbelts for defensive purposes).

I think as much as people like to say that wrestling is the best or whatever, they should also acknowledge that clearly at the higher weight classes wrestling is not as useful or seen as the meta. Striking is more important in the larger weight classes, that wouldn't change if Silva fought some random Russian guy (there are already Russian middle weights with wrestling backgrounds in MMA .They don't dominate because just being a wrestler isn't enough to dominate at any weight class much less 185+ ( khabib/islam are not "wrestlers").

I don't see it. Silva has already fought guys with wrestle heavy game plans and still won.

I think you are confusing two different things. Guys used to fight off their back more back in Silva's time - true or at least it seems true on the surface. Fighting off your back was a winning tactic during Silva's time - not true, it was a MAJOR disadvantage to fight off your back.

Silva's era if you were taken down, regardless of any damage that was done, you often lost the round. This era is actually much more balanced to properly grading the ground game in the context of an actual fight. Someone can get taken down like 3 or 4 times in today's game and still win the round because the guy who took him down didn't do anything while getting pieced up on the feet.

Just because Silva could fight off his back didn't mean he wanted to be there or that he was easy to take down. Any fighter who is incredibly fast and accurate with their strikes is not going to be easy to takedown (see Lyoto Machida blowing up wrestlers for much of his career, who also comes from that era where bigger guys had BJJ blackbelts for defensive purposes).

I think as much as people like to say that wrestling is the best or whatever, they should also acknowledge that clearly at the higher weight classes wrestling is not as useful or seen as the meta. Striking is more important in the larger weight classes, that wouldn't change if Silva fought some random Russian guy (there are already Russian middle weights with wrestling backgrounds in MMA .They don't dominate because just being a wrestler isn't enough to dominate at any weight class much less 185+ ( khabib/islam are not "wrestlers").
I agree with you, there's more than TDD that matters. Distance control and speed play a big part which is how Izzy also keeps it standing. I think guys were more clueless on specific positions back then. You never see a consistently viable strategy to tie up the opponent on the ground for standup like you used to. Same with triangles and armbars, I guarantee if there was a graph the amount of them would be lower today on average than they used to be, RNC took over meta with dominant position.

Chael was basically like Khabib without sub defense, and showed how active a ground game keeps it there. His mistake was sub defense.

Silva is my #1 goat pick. What he pulled off isn't human. If I had to pick anyone to land a finishing strike before a takedown it was him. However I don't think a MW dagestani with sub defense is getting swept, caught in a sub, or stood up. Silva would've had to completely rebuild his game for today (probably would've never had his game plan to begin with today if he started). I would love to be wrong, but that's one of the reasons I think we never saw Silva vs Jones when Jones got the title.

Back