Do you think prime Anderson Silva could defend against the Caucasian wrestlers?

BrockLesnarsTurtleBack

Professional Expert
@purple
Reaction score
Like Khamzat, Khabib, Islam. Honest question. Since Chael Sonnen ragdolled him, I can easily see Khamzat doing the same to Silva. Maybe Khabib too, or is the size difference too much?

Chael Sonnen is a more accomplished wrestler than either of them, and has as practical wrestling in MMA as either of them. Chael sucks at fighting on the ground not taking guys down.

Also Chael is way bigger than Khabib and Islam...Silva would beat Khabib and Islam no problem. Chael is legitimately big for a 185er and can fight at 205 relatively comfortably.

Khazmat? We'd have to see what he does at MW but based on his fight with Burns it wouldn't be the craziest thing if Silva hurt him before he got grinded out for 25 minutes.

You have to take into account that Silva is not only bigger than them (maybe not much bigger than Khazmat) but he is also faster than them (substantially), with probably longer reach as well.

Most bigger guys give up a speed advantage which isn't the case here. That's a huge difference.

LOL at questioning Anderson vs Khabib or Islam. Khabib struggled to take Gaethje down, Islam struggled with Volk. Anderson would ko both of them.

Weightclass exist for a reason.
Smaller men have submitted Anderson
tumblr_m8jsp7tR9r1ry1rm7o1_250.gif

I think its a good question, Silva was arguebly never tested against someone with quality wrestling AND submission fighting, he never fought Filho or Jacare during his prime for example.

Really though a hell of a lot of modern fighters have not been tested against that combination either.

Still early to say with Khamzat.

The others are way smaller, so I'll take Silva against Islam and Khabib.

I think its a good question, Silva was arguebly never tested against someone with quality wrestling AND submission fighting, he never fought Filho or Jacare during his prime for example.

Really though a hell of a lot of modern fighters have not been tested against that combination either.

He beat Damian Maia easily who despite popular belief has good practical wrestling and has probably used it better than Filho and Jacare in high level MMA.

Maia was able to takedown Chael Sonnen, in the clinch no less.

He beat Damian Maia easily who despite popular belief has good practical wrestling and has probably used it better than Filho and Jacare in high level MMA.

A bit undersized for 185lbs though and I would say not really a great wrestler, a lot of his sucess was I think exploiting that people just didnt want to go to the ground with him at all.

Maia did highlight at 170lbs was arguebly even more lacking in submission skill during that era though, at 185lbs I think it was moreso the division was more fractured.

Smaller men have submitted Anderson
tumblr_m8jsp7tR9r1ry1rm7o1_250.gif
Islam also got KO'd by a smaller brazilian already though, no hope.

Khabib is a different matter altogether since he did outclass Rockhold blindfolded each time they grappled though. Hands tied behind his back too.

A bit undersized for 185lbs though and I would say not really a great wrestler, a lot of his sucess was I think exploiting that people just didnt want to go to the ground with him at all.

Maia did highlight at 170lbs was arguebly even more lacking in submission skill during that era though, at 185lbs I think it was moreso the division was more fractured.

1- Maia and Anderson - who was never a big MW - werent that far apart in weight the night of their fight. Anderson used to weight-in way below the limit, as 182 vs Leites.

2- Maia took Fitch down 7 times in 15 minutes. lol at questioning Maia's wrestling

3- Okami had also a pretty good combination of wrestling and sub grappling.

I think Anderson had solid TDD but not amazing, but again if we're on fantasy land where he and Khabib / Makhachev were the same size, they would absolutely take him down

Idk it's almost impossible to have any discussion involving Anderson with MMA fans that's rational.

Back