Do you think prime Anderson Silva could defend against the Caucasian wrestlers?

These type of guys were around back then.

The reason they've become dominant over the years is because the grappling level in MMA overall has decreased(while becoming more well rounded).

Silva has done it all, faced them all. Faced a ton of wrestlers and world class grapplers. These caucasian fighters wouldn't be bringing something he has never seen before.

Khabib is a LW, what kind of bullshit is that?

Anderson would absolutely spark Khamzat standing. Khabib and Islam way too small imo.

Anderson defended lik 12 takedowns vs Brunson. And he was past his best. His tdd worked when it mattered.

Andersom silva could also knock their head into the 3rd row.

Anderson would absolutely spark Khamzat standing. Khabib and Islam way too small imo.
In a pure standup battle, I see how you could argue that Anderson would beat Khamzat. But on the ground we talking two entirely different leagues. You also need to realize that the takedown threat changes the standup dynamics.

Can Chris Weidman beat BJ Penn?!
giphy.gif

He had the jitz, you think he was gonna be a belly up turtle like Izzy or Pereira? Anderson was dangerous on his back.

In a pure standup battle, I see how you could argue that Anderson would beat Khamzat. But on the ground we talking two entirely different leagues. You also need to realize that the takedown threat changes the standup dynamics.
Chimaev has horrendous fight iq and striking defense. He’d have to be extra careful approaching a guy like 2007-2011 Anderson.

Prime Anderson vs Khamzat would have been a hell of a fight regardless the winner tho.

In a pure standup battle, there is no discussion.
In mma, Khamzat best win is Burns, a small WW who gave him all he could handle

Silva is my GOAT pick, I know it's unpopular. But when it comes to modern mma, I don't think he's beating the wrestlers unless he lands something huge before the takedown.

His game was more submitting off his back or stalling the ground game for a standup. That doesn't work for guys today unless you're Maia off your back, which Silva wasn't.

He fought in a different era, but towards the end he did get better TDD and I believe if he was a young fighter today he wouldn't of chose the same style and shifted more towards TDD. He sort of was one of the first that was hanging by the cage with his back to it for TDD. He probably would look more like Izzy's TDD if he fought today.

Chael’s takwdowns were actually really good by any era’s standards. Beeb and Islam too small. Still need to see more from Zat at MW. As of now, I would predict the Spider to lamp him.

Silva is my GOAT pick, I know it's unpopular. But when it comes to modern mma, I don't think he's beating the wrestlers unless he lands something huge before the takedown.

His game was more submitting off his back or stalling the ground game for a standup. That doesn't work for guys today unless you're Maia off your back, which Silva wasn't.

He fought in a different era, but towards the end he did get better TDD and I believe if he was a young fighter today he wouldn't of chose the same style and shifted more towards TDD. He sort of was one of the first that was hanging by the cage with his back to it for TDD. He probably would look more like Izzy's TDD if he fought today.

His game was to play the game off his back in his early career.
During his prime as a champ he did a pretty good job at preventing TDs, by using his range/movement, the cage to his advantage, and a notable improvement in wrestling prowess.

It's really surprising to see fans writing off prime Silva vs "modern" wrestlers", when the best wrestler in the modern era at MW has been Derek Brunson, who barely managed to do anything to a very slowed down SIlva in his 40s

His game was to play the game off his back in his early career.
During his prime as a champ he did a pretty good job at preventing TDs, by using his range/movement, the cage to his advantage, and a notable improvement in wrestling prowess.

It's really surprising to see fans writing off prime Silva vs "modern" wrestlers", when the best wrestler in the modern era at MW has been Derek Brunson, who barely managed to do anything to a very slowed down SIlva in his 40s
Oh he was good at baiting guys into striking, that was practically his game. Hands low to taunt AND in position to prevent TDs. But if there was a Khabib at MW with sub defense and same takedowns, I don't see it. I think Silva was prepared for the generation he fought it until the end. This goes for Fedor too, where he armbars guys from the bottom.

Silva fought long enough where he did evolve his game but he was older with it. A younger Silva would've been much better. Who knows? Aldo came from the same camp and is more modern and had excellent TDD, and if Silva followed that he would've been unstoppable.

Oh he was good at baiting guys into striking, that was practically his game. Hands low to taunt AND in position to prevent TDs. But if there was a Khabib at MW with sub defense and same takedowns, I don't see it. I think Silva was prepared for the generation he fought it until the end. This goes for Fedor too, where he armbars guys from the bottom.

Silva fought long enough where he did evolve his game but he was older with it. A younger Silva would've been much better. Who knows? Aldo came from the same camp and is more modern and had excellent TDD, and if Silva followed that he would've been unstoppable.

I mean, a MW Khabib I guess could defeat Silva.
But we need to imagine a mythological creature for this purpose, because we have not seen anything even remotely resembling a MW Khabib

Back in the real word, the best wrestler in the division for a long time has been Derek Brunson, who didnt exposed the "antiquated" Silva's game as you suggest. Who is this "moder Caucasian wrestler" at MW that would beat prime Silva. Whe he has been al this years?

Is that Khamzat? Let's see. By now, his best win is a flip coin dec with WW Burns.

Maia, who remained a contender in "modern" mma until not long ago well into his 40s, had zero succes with his TDs vs Anderson btw. Zero out of 15 attempts or so. Same as prime Okami,who was no slouch as a wrestler.

I mean, a MW Khabib I guess could defeat Silva.
But we need to imagine a mythological creature for this purpose, because we have not seen anything even remotely resembling a MW Khabib

Back in the real word, the best wrestler in the division for a long time has been Derek Brunson, who didnt exposed the "antiquated" Silva's game as you suggest. Who is this "moder Caucasian wrestler" at MW that would beat prime Silva. Whe he has been al this years?

Is that Khamzat? Let's see. By now, his best win is a flip coin dec with WW Burns.

Maia, who remained a contender in "modern" mma until not long ago well into his 40s, had zero succes with his TDs vs Anderson btw. Zero out of 15 attempts or so. Same as prime Okami,who was no slouch as a wrestler.
True and he hit that switch on nate Marquardt. I expect guys like Khamzat, Bo, and maybe some Russian wrestler that joins out of no where to have better wrestling than Brunson. I think MW has pretty garbage wrestling right now for the top guys and are getting exposed soon. I know Yoel was touted as an amazing wrestler before but he hardly used it as he got older and certainly couldn't hold guys down without burning his own cardio. So yeah Silva would've been fine until a new gen of wrestlers come and dominate.

Chael smothered Andy for almost 5 full rounds, but Chael has terrible sub defense.
If Khabib or Islam were 185, I would definitely favor them. They're both much more proven than Chimaev.
I'd certainly watch Anderson vs Magomedrasul Gasanov or some of the other middleweights from Abdulmanap's stable. But a 185 Khabib or Islam are the only ones that I'd CONFIDENTLY say would beat Anderson.

Back