Opinion Do you think people would be taking the covid more seriously if...

As a Canadian, I can tell you that this is bullshit. The world does not revolve around Trump.

People aren't taking it seriously, because it's not a serious threat to them. End of story.
Ya but people are taking it seriously up here though
{<huh}

How common are these complications though? Can you give us some excerpts that you found to be important? There isn't much substance in a couple of those links; just generalizations. In one link, the median age of patients studied was 85, and the others seem to focus on patients with diabetes, obesity, and previous heart conditions. Many of the studies were inconclusive.

Professional athletes are frequently testing positive and I haven't heard of one's performance being chronically affected by infection. Even a small drop in performance could end a player's career. Surely the MSM would want to emphasize that sort of news.

China was actually being blamed for it and the international organizations were actually doing something against then? I understand there are some really pretentious people out there and some are just straight up not smart, but its not a good look for the international organizations when they don't stand up against this type of stuff.

Laying blame requires a strong coalition of aggrieved parties seeking explanations and accountability.
This is impossible during a Trump administration as he can't even agree with himself if its bad or not.

Anyway controlling the spread and finding a solution a vastly more important right now and that is where almost all the effort should be spent.

Once its under control then look to ways to stop a repeat. If someone broke international law persecute accordingly but more likely it will be future focused legislation and agreements.

There are varying degrees of "bad". Do people realize that this is a threat to the more vulnerable population? Sure. Do they also realize that the vast, VAST majority of people will not be effected by it? Yes. Hence the apathy.

If this was a serious virus, people would not be so willing to skirt guidelines. If this virus was a risk to everyone, where exposure could mean death or serious health issues to themselves if they got a whiff of it, they would not be chomping at the bit to get back to normal, and going to Walmart to pick up some DVD's or a TV. They would be deathly afraid of it, and praying for a cure before they dare took a chance and stepped outside. It's simply not that serious to most people. Even the talking heads on TV telling you it's serious are getting caught breaking their own rules on a weekly basis. Shows you how seriously they're taking it.

lol

Last edited:
I don't think the majority of the population is particularly risk adverse. Certainly not to the extent of being willing to put up with personal inconvenience.
Just think of how many people don't wear motorcycle helmets or seatbelts in places where they aren't mandated or the laws aren't enforced.
On top of that, individual risk assessment almost never seems to take into account collective risk and impact, except in cultures with an extremely strong sense of civic duty.

This. I see people almost kill themselves and others every day just to get one spot up in traffic.

It will take something a lot more serious than covid to get people worried. Covid really ain't shit.

Most people don't need to go, agree. Yet we still have hospitals in my area almost at capacity due to the number of Covid cases. So not only are people feeling the need to go, the hospitals are actually admitting them into the ICU. To the point where much more profitable elective surgeries are all on hold.

So...we have a bunch of people who are bored or whatever going for care they don't need? And then we have hospitals deciding they don't like money so are filling themselves up with patients to the point they can't perform their most profitable procedures? That seems like some serious tinfoil hat stuff to me.

3% of hospital beds in my province have covid patients in them and the mayor of my city is still threatening a lockdown.

It's mass hysteria.

If covid was killing kids in significant numbers I'd be concerned, but it's almost all 70+ year olds.They are at the end of their life cycles. As a society we need to accept that death is part of life.

I would take the CCP Virus more seriously if the Chinese Communist Party collapsed because of it, because i know that is something they actually put effort in preventing.

You do know there can be massive after effects from Covid right? Also in young people. Recent numbers from Sweden indicate 20% of new infections have also been 17 - 19 year olds. It´s not quite as simple as you simpletons want it to be.
yes lot of young people are getting it. It doesn't mean they are dying or even sick. Just positive for Covid.

yes lot of young people are getting it. It doesn't mean they are dying or even sick. Just positive for Covid.
We still don´t know the full extent of side/after effects of Covid. Some are not back to work even 6 months after having it.

Millions of people have had it. How many more until we know the side effects?
Do you care?

Fact is that this disease is not as simple as "ohh only bad for old people"..

3% of hospital beds in my province have covid patients in them and the mayor of my city is still threatening a lockdown.

It's mass hysteria.

If covid was killing kids in significant numbers I'd be concerned, but it's almost all 70+ year olds.They are at the end of their life cycles. As a society we need to accept that death is part of life.

To that I'd say your mayor is a moron. I mean, you can still have some common sense measure to try to prevent it getting bad like it is here, but locking down a place that doesn't need it is just stupid.

In my area, we actually have a factual problem of hospital capacity. It's not made up, it's real. It's not the media driving hysteria. I have a close friend who's dad is on the board of the biggest hospital in this area (we have 4 large ones here and a few smaller ones). He says they are losing their shirts now due to Covid because they can't schedule their most profitable procedures. That's not some fake news, that's basic economics. And while yes, it's old people dying aside from a rare case here and there, it's NOT just old people being admitted into hospitals. There are a lot of people in their 50's and even 40's and otherwise healthy that need medical care. They obviously tend to bounce back and recover WITH the medical care (although there's evidence of long term issues with some), but what happens if our hospitals here go from 88% capacity to 100%? That unlucky 53 year old who caught a big viral load and can't get a ventilator for the 2 days he'd have needed it isn't around for his kid graduating college...

Different areas need different things based on their situations. People screaming to lock all of North America down are dumb, it would crater the economies of 3 nations and would take decades to recover. BUT...people screaming to open everything up everywhere, throw out all the masks, and just move on with life are also dumb. It would overrun the health care system in a ton of places and the economy will STILL crater when too many people start thinking health care isn't available to them if they need it. You have to tackle this thing with geography based common sense. It's not one-size-fits-all.

Honestly, it's partially the issue.

I really think it boils down to the Media's insatiable need to tarnish Trump so much that they dismissed everything angle that didn't involve Trump and overplayed EVERY THING Trump did, right down to making an FDA approved drug into this deadly arsenic pill because Trump mentioned it.

When you got the media acting like raving buffoons over this, it actually turned the population off to the actual dangers.

If the News Media actually reported the news in a consistently professional manner, maybe people would heed their warnings.
^^absolute truth right here^^

You know, Cuomo did a great job and DeSantis is an incompetent boob.. just look at the numbers..

Do you care?

Fact is that this disease is not as simple as "ohh only bad for old people"..
If, after over 50 million worldwide Covid cases, we still don't understand the side effects of Covid, why would I trust any Covid vaccines? Are you really going to inject yourself with virus proteins from a virus that no one understands?

Millions of people have had it. How many more until we know the side effects?

I mean...I would say time probably enters into that equation too, wouldn't you? Trying to measure "long term" side effects for a virus that's been on this continent less than a year seems like a fool's errand. Especially because it's not like most hospitals can dedicate a ton of time to dedicate to really studying people who've gotten over it since they're dealing with actual current cases.

I think it's unknown for sure still. Might be that long term effects are generally minimal and not a huge concern. Might be that they are way worse than anyone thought and are a big stress on the healthcare system down the road. I don't think there's any way to really know right now. A few years down the road when we have most people vaccinated and they can actually study people years after having it is when I would assume a better picture gets painted of long term effects.

I mean...I would say time probably enters into that equation too, wouldn't you? Trying to measure "long term" side effects for a virus that's been on this continent less than a year seems like a fool's errand. Especially because it's not like most hospitals can dedicate a ton of time to dedicate to really studying people who've gotten over it since they're dealing with actual current cases.

I think it's unknown for sure still. Might be that long term effects are generally minimal and not a huge concern. Might be that they are way worse than anyone thought and are a big stress on the healthcare system down the road. I don't think there's any way to really know right now. A few years down the road when we have most people vaccinated and they can actually study people years after having it is when I would assume a better picture gets painted of long term effects.

Why would you inject people with proteins from a virus that isn't understood? How can you know the longterm effects of the vaccines?

To that I'd say your mayor is a moron. I mean, you can still have some common sense measure to try to prevent it getting bad like it is here, but locking down a place that doesn't need it is just stupid.

In my area, we actually have a factual problem of hospital capacity. It's not made up, it's real. It's not the media driving hysteria. I have a close friend who's dad is on the board of the biggest hospital in this area (we have 4 large ones here and a few smaller ones). He says they are losing their shirts now due to Covid because they can't schedule their most profitable procedures. That's not some fake news, that's basic economics. And while yes, it's old people dying aside from a rare case here and there, it's NOT just old people being admitted into hospitals. There are a lot of people in their 50's and even 40's and otherwise healthy that need medical care. They obviously tend to bounce back and recover WITH the medical care (although there's evidence of long term issues with some), but what happens if our hospitals here go from 88% capacity to 100%? That unlucky 53 year old who caught a big viral load and can't get a ventilator for the 2 days he'd have needed it isn't around for his kid graduating college...

Different areas need different things based on their situations. People screaming to lock all of North America down are dumb, it would crater the economies of 3 nations and would take decades to recover. BUT...people screaming to open everything up everywhere, throw out all the masks, and just move on with life are also dumb. It would overrun the health care system in a ton of places and the economy will STILL crater when too many people start thinking health care isn't available to them if they need it. You have to tackle this thing with geography based common sense. It's not one-size-fits-all.

Where is your area?

Why would you inject people with proteins from a virus that isn't understood? How can you know the longterm effects of the vaccines?

I think that will be up to individuals to decide for themselves. Honestly, I'm not gonna lie, even if I could (and I assume the first batch or two will be designated for the "at risk" population) I wouldn't dive head first into it. I want to see how the first round or two goes. With it getting fast tracked through trials and stuff...IDK. I'm partly trusting the science and the experts, but we do that with all sorts of healthcare right? We don't just treat ourselves for everything, even if we don't necessarily know all the details about the treatments we're getting for certain things.

But yeah, the vaccine isn't some foolproof slam dunk. It's a question of "Do we reasonably think this will be a net positive?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back