Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

Opinion Do you think people would be taking the covid more seriously if...

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Bangkok ready d1, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Bangkok ready d1 Brown Belt

China was actually being blamed for it and the international organizations were actually doing something against then? I understand there are some really pretentious people out there and some are just straight up not smart, but its not a good look for the international organizations when they don't stand up against this type of stuff.

2. Kandyland Brown Belt

Reported for wasting my time.

3. HereticBD Plutonium Belt

They would take it more seriously if it was a serious threat to themselves. Fact is, it barely causes an inconvenient cold for some, and literally nothing for others. Those groups are the vast majority.

If it was really serious, you wouldn't have to bargain and desperately convince people to do all they could to avoid getting it. They just naturally would, because the threat would be real.

It comes down to fear and the fact of the matter is, most people don't fear COVID.

cck311**, orca, The XL and 22 others like this.
  4. Ruprecht Hands Of The Judges Staff Member Senior Moderator

I don't think the majority of the population is particularly risk averse. Certainly not to the extent of being willing to put up with personal inconvenience.
    Just think of how many people don't wear motorcycle helmets or seatbelts in places where they aren't mandated or the laws aren't enforced.
    On top of that, individual risk assessment almost never seems to take into account collective risk and impact, except in cultures with an extremely strong sense of civic duty.

PainIsLIfe, rpn453, jamel and 10 others like this.
  5. Krixes The Undefeated Gaul Platinum Member

It would've been taken more seriously in the US if looting and rioting weren't deemed acceptable behavior during our first covid lockdown.

6. HockeyBjj Putting on the foil

People would take it more seriously if there wasn’t a cult formed around Trump’s opinion and Trump downplayed it from the get go because he wanted the stock market to hold on and it magically go away

danny23, Swoliosis, Trotsky and 3 others like this.
  7. RetiredSlave Red Belt

Good practice run. Would run again.

8. HereticBD Plutonium Belt

As a Canadian, I can tell you that this is bullshit. The world does not revolve around Trump.

People aren't taking it seriously, because it's not a serious threat to them. End of story.

9. mkess101 Not the hero he deserves, but the hero he needs Yellow Card

Maybe in some places. My state is a dumpster fire with this thing. Hospitals nearing capacity. And they damn sure aren't suspending way more profitable elective surgeries for fun.

I realize everywhere isn't as bad as it is here, but people acting like it's not a big f'ing problem in some places are delusional.

luckyshot and tonni like this.
  10. nostradumbass Steel Belt

No. It would be taken more seriously if every single goddamn one of the people demanding you take it seriously weren't caught breaking their own rules when they think the cameras are off, if they didn't give passes to their own BLM supporters, if there wasn't a world leader who just a few days ago called it "an opportunity for a reset of society", if they haven't changed their minds 50 goddamn times, and if they gave some timeline or set of circumstances to what they're asking instead of "15 days to slow the spread" 6 months ago.

11. HereticBD Plutonium Belt

There are varying degrees of "bad". Do people realize that this is a threat to the more vulnerable population? Sure. Do they also realize that the vast, VAST majority of people will not be effected by it? Yes. Hence the apathy.

If this was a serious virus, people would not be so willing to skirt guidelines. If this virus was a risk to everyone, where exposure could mean death or serious health issues to themselves if they got a whiff of it, they would not be chomping at the bit to get back to normal, and going to Walmart to pick up some DVD's or a TV. They would be deathly afraid of it, and praying for a cure before they dare took a chance and stepped outside. It's simply not that serious to most people. Even the talking heads on TV telling you it's serious are getting caught breaking their own rules on a weekly basis. Shows you how seriously they're taking it.

12. TheGreatA Silver Belt

WHO pretty much undermined the threat of the virus at first, which made a lot of societies overlook its potency. I'm not sure if it had as much of an impact in the already CT-fueled atmosphere of the United States, as in Europe where people tend to pay heed to these types of global organizations.

The response was screwed up on so many levels, first by China, which couldn't overcome its nature to be a secretive, totalitarian piece of shit regime, then by the global organizations that initially bought China's bullshit, and then the under-prepared Western societies which started reacting like hysterics once they realized that there was an actual, world-wide pandemic on their hands.

By now, people are pretty much just tired of the lockdowns and fearing death from boredom and inactivity more so than the virus. It's a potent virus no doubt, but not exactly the second coming of the Black Plague either, meaning that people are quite willing to take a chance with it.

13. MicroBrew Titanium Belt

There is a strong sub-culture in America of : I am ok , so screw everyone else.

You have the same sort of thinking in many countries , many that are far worse than the US as far as selfishness goes. Japan and Western Europe tend to be more considerate of society. Americans being the individualists they are, tend to sometimes bring outthe bad side of individualism.

rezzz and ShinkanPo like this.
  14. mkess101 Not the hero he deserves, but the hero he needs Yellow Card

I agree, there are absolutely degrees. No doubt, nobody thinks this is some sort of ebola level virus spreading everywhere.

The issue is that so far it's only a threat from the perspective of dying to old people in part because health care is available for all who need it. People being admitted to the hospital aren't just old people. The difference is that younger people get the care then walk out a few days later. Old people sometimes do, sometimes are wheeled out in a bag.

But...do we know what happens if there isn't available hospital care? We are getting damn close to that here in my state. Are all the non-geriatrics that have needed hospital care still gonna be just fine if they can't get it? Maybe yes...but...maybe not.

And yes, imo people would still be chomping at the bit to get back to normal. We are creatures of habit. We are addicted to the lives we've built. Which is fine, I am too. I don't like having to make these adjustments. I do because I'm trying to be responsible and not have our hospitals go from 90% capacity to 100%.

hillelslovak87 likes this.
  15. hillelslovak87 Titanium Belt

Furthermore, many many otherwise healthy people are being found to have possibly lifelong complication disorders relating to the brain, heart, lungs and endocrine system. People are just glossing over the drastic implications involved in such a reality.

Swoliosis and mkess101 like this.
  16. HereticBD Plutonium Belt

Far less vulnerable people don't rush to them when they get the sniffles and just deal with it.

17. PhitePhan Purple Belt

Source?

18. Hadron90 Red Belt

Why should I take it more seriously? It is literally a non-threat to me, and the government doesn't seem interested in doing anything to protect the people it is actually a threat too.

19. HereticBD Plutonium Belt

The select few cases he heard about on the news, likely involving a local athlete of some kind.

"Many, many...so many!"

20. mkess101 Not the hero he deserves, but the hero he needs Yellow Card

Most people don't need to go, agree. Yet we still have hospitals in my area almost at capacity due to the number of Covid cases. So not only are people feeling the need to go, the hospitals are actually admitting them into the ICU. To the point where much more profitable elective surgeries are all on hold.

So...we have a bunch of people who are bored or whatever going for care they don't need? And then we have hospitals deciding they don't like money so are filling themselves up with patients to the point they can't perform their most profitable procedures? That seems like some serious tinfoil hat stuff to me.