Do you think Jones even wants to come back if Gustafsson beats Cormier?

Gus was on his way to clear decision, or a finish, at the start of the 4th round. Jones took the fight over after the 4th round elbow and won a clear 3-2. Even without the flawed 10 point system, he won the battle in the end.

pretty subjective imo. That fight was the epitome of a coin flip decision. That being said, Jones had his way in the 5th round. If you want to take it from the champ, you MUST finish the 5th strong unless you clearly take the other 4 rounds. Gus didnt. He didnt have nothing else in the 5th and that costed him the fight, cause the other rounds were too competitive.
Like i said, Imo Gus should have won, but there are other factors to consider. Jones was a long time champ and very dominating. Gus needed to beat him soundly for 25 minutes or finish him .....and he failed to do so.

Anyway, I hope they meet again, if Jones is the challenger and comes with ring rust, i see Gus beating him. Rumble has ko power to ktfo him and DC got the wresslin to put him on his ass, Jones has none of that.

pretty subjective imo. That fight was the epitome of a coin flip decision. That being said, Jones had his way in the 5th round. If you want to take it from the champ, you MUST finish the 5th strong unless you clearly take the other 4 rounds. Gus didnt. He didnt have nothing else in the 5th and that costed him the fight, cause the other rounds were too competitive.
Like i said, Imo Gus should have won, but there are other factors to consider. Jones was a long time champ and very dominating. Gus needed to beat him soundly for 25 minutes or finish him .....and he failed to do so.

Anyway, I hope they meet again, if Jones is the challenger and comes with ring rust, i see Gus beating him. Rumble has ko power to ktfo him and DC got the wresslin to put him on his ass, Jones has none of that.

Jones is a better striker than Rumble and better wrestler than DC.

Jones is a better striker than Rumble and better wrestler than DC.

Who cares? Styles makes fights. Jones can outstrike, outwressle and outsmart both DC and Rumble, yet his wresslin looked like a joke against Gus. And his striking was ok but nothing special. Fact is, Jones doesnt have the ko power to ko Gus and he is not taking him down at will. He's gonna have to battle it out for 25 minutes and he will eat tons of punches because unlike the rest of his opponents, Gus is larger than Jones and he will find a way to break that defense and range to cause damage. Jones can win this fight for sure, the guy is a freak, but i give Gus way more chances than DC and Rumble. I truly believe that his style and size brings Jones tons of trouble.

Who cares? Styles makes fights. Jones can outstrike, outwressle and outsmart both DC and Rumble, yet his wresslin looked like a joke against Gus. And his striking was ok but nothing special. Fact is, Jones doesnt have the ko power to ko Gus and he is not taking him down at will. He's gonna have to battle it out for 25 minutes and he will eat tons of punches because unlike the rest of his opponents, Gus is larger than Jones and he will find a way to break that defense and range to cause damage. Jones can win this fight for sure, but i give Gus way more chances than DC and Rumble, cause i truly believe that his style brings Jones tons of trouble.

Yes because rematches always play out exactly like the first fight.

Yes because rematches always play out exactly like the first fight.

Do you see Jones dominating Gus? I don't. I could see him getting a razor thin decision/gift again but not a stoppage or a 25 min beatdown decision.

Do you see Jones dominating Gus? I don't. I see him getting a razor thin decision/gift again but not a stoppage or a 25 min beatdown decision.

Lol a gift decision. He won the first fight pretty clearly. Since then he's gone on to beat multiple elite fighters. While Gus has literally won one fight against a guy who wasn't even top ten. I won't even get into how his mindset will be after DC dominates him

Even if there was legitimate reason for him to be scared of rematching Alexander, let iit not be said Jones ever lacked in hubris

That's one of the things I never got about the Jones is scared people. Everyone knows he is a cocky jerk. Him thinking other people are better is a silly idea

Lol a gift decision. He won the first fight pretty clearly. Since then he's gone on to beat multiple elite fighters. While Gus has literally won one fight against a guy who wasn't even top ten. I won't even get into how his mindset will be after DC dominates him

I would never complain about Jones getting a decision but that fight did not have a clear cut winner. It was a toss up and Jones won because he was the long reigning champion and Gus didnt do enough to take it away from him. Jones is a beast, he beats Rumble and DC any day of the week but I think Gus has the size and the style to give him issues. Anyway, time will tell.....

Oh and you talk about mindset....i wonder how will Jones come back after all the fiasco he got himself into and all that massive ring rust. If Gus is his comeback fight, it will be pretty interesting.

I was going off of what I saw when it aired and hadn't rewatched the fight. Being the objective type, your accusation got me to rewatch. To everyone reading this, please congratulate me for being the millionth person to do so. Also I agree with watching without commentary, like has been suggested countless times, because rogan can be distracting if not fucking annoying.

I will change my opinion. Gus was not on his way to a clear decision at start of the 4th. Like everyone, I was overly affected by the first round. Nobody dominated Jones before that (or since) and it set the tone of the fight until the end of the fourth. 2 and 3 are close, so is the 4th until the elbow. 5th is Jones.

As Gus waited for the decision to be read, best he was hoping for was winning both 2 and 3. Gus needed at least two of the judges to give him more credit for riding out an early lead, which honestly nobody wants to win this way. He had to get 2 judges give him both rounds 2 and 3, not good odds. Close rounds, and there is an argument to be made that Jones needed to do something equally dominant to win back the momentum of the fight, but that is how these shitty boxing rules work. A close 10-9 is just as good as a not-quite 10-8.

But rules aside, Jones did win back the momentum of the fight in the 4th, and followed through in the 5th. The conclusion of the fight is his. Two clear rounds to Gus' one, with two close rounds sandwiched between. As a single round, broken up every 5 minutes, Jones wins. With boxing rules, Jones wins.

I don't agree with having to beat Jones bell to bell. Gus just needed to win more than than him, but he didn't. He was never closer to finishing Jones either, Gus was closer in the fourth to being done. Flip the timing, Gus finishing strong in the fifth and Jones winning the first two rounds, and it is a stronger argument for Gus but that didn't happen.

First you call him subjective and then spew out as biased opinion of round 5 as possible. Gustafsson outstruck Jones in the last round and landed many of his best strikes in that round. Also, all Jones` 6 head kicks were partially or fully blocked and those were Jones` best offence in that round.

If you dont remember the fight dont talk about it.

I like Gus but I don't think he can beat Cormier. so no chance

Last edited:
I was going off of what I saw when it aired and hadn't rewatched the fight. Being the objective type, your accusation got me to rewatch. To everyone reading this, please congratulate me for being the millionth person to do so. Also I agree with watching without commentary, like has been suggested countless times, because rogan can be distracting if not fucking annoying.

I will change my opinion. Gus was not on his way to a clear decision at start of the 4th. Like everyone, I was overly affected by the first round. Nobody dominated Jones before that (or since) and it set the tone of the fight until the end of the fourth. 2 and 3 are close, so is the 4th until the elbow. 5th is Jones.

As Gus waited for the decision to be read, best he was hoping for was winning both 2 and 3. Gus needed at least two of the judges to give him more credit for riding out an early lead, which honestly nobody wants to win this way. He had to get 2 judges give him both rounds 2 and 3, not good odds. Close rounds, and there is an argument to be made that Jones needed to do something equally dominant to win back the momentum of the fight, but that is how these shitty boxing rules work. A close 10-9 is just as good as a not-quite 10-8.

But rules aside, Jones did win back the momentum of the fight in the 4th, and followed through in the 5th. The conclusion of the fight is his. Two clear rounds to Gus' one, with two close rounds sandwiched between. As a single round, broken up every 5 minutes, Jones wins. With boxing rules, Jones wins.

I don't agree with having to beat Jones bell to bell. Gus just needed to win more than than him, but he didn't. He was never closer to finishing Jones either, Gus was closer in the fourth to being done. Flip the timing, Gus finishing strong in the fifth and Jones winning the first two rounds, and it is a stronger argument for Gus but that didn't happen.

Live betting had Jones up to +300 during the fourth. Had Jones not landed that elbow he would have needed a finish in the last round, winning the fifth 10-9 would have ended to a split decision loss for Jones.

considering Jones beat gus 4 - 1,yeah i think hell be OK.

Based on the source you posted you dont even know what he is talking about. Maybe you should educate yourself about the timeline how everything went down from Sept 21. to late summer 2014 before you try to act you know what happened.

I know what happened. The poster I replied to, as I took it, didn't believe a fight between Gus and Jones was scheduled, and Gus pulled out.

He is known for doing everything in his power to avoid the rematch against Gustafsson since their first fight. If Gus becomes the champ, do you think Jones even wants to come back? I could easily see him wanting to cash once with a rematch against Cormier, but if Gustafsson beats DC I think he waits and hopes Rumble gets another shot and beats Gus again. He probably see Rumble as a relatively easy fight to win via wrestling.

Lol at thinking jones would duck alex

Alex at his absolute best couldn't beat Jones at goods absolute worst

Element of surprise is gone

Back