Do you think Jon Jones would be as successful if he had a normal wingspan?

[YT]xOggTrjfx4M[/YT]

I personally don't. There are some fighters I see who look really skilled when they fight, and then there is Jon Jones. When I see him dominate an opponent it never looks like it has anything to do with him being more skilled, and more to do with him having a major, MAJOR physical advantage.

You see what you want to see. This is a skill sport, and the best fighters win the vast majority of the time. It hurts to see a guy you hate dominate the field. The silly rationalization as to how much he sucks says everything about the haters who spout this nonsense, and nothing at all about Jones.

Yes because if he was of "normal" height and wingspan hed be a LW. Jones is the new normal, he just exposed an entire division of fighters who were fighting one weight class too high.

Its not his fault natural MWs like Shogun, Rashad, and Machida were in the wrong division. Machida is the only one who adapted. Guys like Silva, Jones, and Weidman have redefined the weight classes. Gone are the days of fat slightly out of shape champions. With the exception of HW

didnt-read-lol-gif-6.gif

I envy you.

Would he be successful if he had no arms?

It's the exact same question.

You're hating on him for being human.

Everyone is individual.

Would you like every single fighter to have the same physical stats?

Oh also...Stefan Struve.

No

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 3 characters.

there are at least 10 of these threads a week. my gosh. guy has long arms. guy is UFC champion. other long arm people happen to NOT be UFC champion. nothing more needs to be said.

If you were to take away anyones reach they would be worse. I dont think you know what retarded response means otherwise you wouldnt post things like this. My point is that jones advantage lies in how he uses his reach=skill, not in the reach itself. Not every long person is good fighters but those who can use it to their advantage are skilled fighters.
Yes but the point people almost always tries to make by bringing up Struve is that Jones is champion because he is a great fighters and that his reach has nothing to do with it. They try to use the fact that Struve is nowhere near the top even though he has a massive reach as some kind of evidence to support the notion that Jones success has nothing to do with reach.

Not necessarily true. He's lost to runners with shorter legs. Running style & how long you hold your top speed are the biggest factors in sprinting. Not limb length. If Bolt ran with a less exaggerated stride, he may run just as fast or faster. If limb length were the biggest factor in speed, the giraffe would be galloping laps around cheetahs.
Ill try and find a video I watched on bolt and it broke down why he runs the way he does. It explained how off the line he starts slower but because his legs are longer than average even for a runner he starts gaining ridiculous ground midway through the race. That little bit of length translates to a significant increase when applied to every stride.

Do you think Pettis would be as successful if he only had 3 toes?

Probably but do you think cain would be as good with a normal gas tank?

Why argue or debate what if's? The reality is the does have a very long arm reach and utilizes it better than anyone. The real question is how many eye pokes he get's away with before points are taking away or it has a controversial outcome to the fight?

Do you think DC would be as good if Popeyes didn't give him super powers?

Ill try and find a video I watched on bolt and it broke down why he runs the way he does. It explained how off the line he starts slower but because his legs are longer than average even for a runner he starts gaining ridiculous ground midway through the race. That little bit of length translates to a significant increase when applied to every stride.

It most definitely can. I won't deny that. But I believe he would be effective as a sprinter if he mastered a different running style as well. Because he has ridiculous power in his legs. I have abnormally long legs & arms for my height as well. I utilized both a shorter & longer stride during my track days. There were benefits to both. My numbers were pretty equal in straight sprinting. Where I found the best usage and noticed the biggest difference for having used both strides was in football. Point is: I was pretty damn fast. It didn't matter what stride I used (except on the gridiron). If you weren't faster than me, you weren't going to beat me whether I used a shorter gait or a longer gait.

He would definitely still be good but the answer is no,not as good and probably not champ. If you watch his fights closely you will see his biggest weapon is his keeping the distance with his reach.

That's true but if he didn't have his reach wouldn't he use another tactic/skill/attribute to keep the distance?

He uses his reach to keep the distance because he has the reach to do so. If he didn't have the reach he'd be a different fighter.

This is such a retarded response, and also a very common one.

Having a long reach is an advantage, no question about it. If you were to take away Struves reach he would be even worse. The same is true for Jones. His reach is an advantage, it makes him a better fighter than what he would be without the reach. The real question is would Jones be good enough without the reach to still be champion?

It's a stupid argument in the first place. If you take away any high level athletes advantage then they'll become worse. That is why people get worse as they get older because their athletic gifts start to fade. Things like chin, speed, power, agility, reflexes, and reach are all gifts that people are born with. Using them correctly can make fighters a champion. Losing them will cause a champion to lose. Having them and not using them correctly will also stop an ascent to the top(see Melvin Guillard).

Jon using his reach as well as he does is a gift. There are LOTS of people in lower weight classes who are tall and long and then get KO'd by overhand rights.

It's true! His athleticism, creativity, drive, and skill would be nothing without that extra few inches of reach.

It's the same reason Stephan Struve is such a dominating force in the HW division

That's true but if he didn't have his reach wouldn't he use another tactic/skill/attribute to keep the distance?

He uses his reach to keep the distance because he has the reach to do so. If he didn't have the reach he'd be a different fighter.

And also, the main think he uses to maintain reach is the threat of his wrestling. People forget that outside of DC(and we'll see tomorrow) he is the best wrestler in the weight class. So if you charge in on Jones(which is what people used to do) then he'll just throw you.

Not quite but he'd still be up there.

Probably, but it would make a big difference. For one, all those heavy hitters he's been able to keep on the outside, would have been much more likely to reach his chin.

Back