Do you think Jon Jones would be as successful if he had a normal wingspan?

if jon jones had shorter arms

HE'D BE A DIFFERENT PERSON, BECAUSE JON JONES HAS LONG ARMS.

Hell no. JJ wouldn't be the same fighter without those great reach.

Just like would Shaq be one of the most dominant center ever played in the nba if he wasn't 7'1 & 300lbs (in his prime).

Do you think Cain would be as successful without his insane gas tank?
Do you think Anderson would be one of the GOAT without his cat like reflexes?
Do you think Weidman would be good without his size advantage at MW?
Do you think Cormier would be good without his strength and explosiveness?
Would Rumble be good without his KO power?
Would Gus be any good without his size?
And on and on we could go........

tl;dr, if you want me to read what you're going to say you need to construct it like a normal human being and not a raving lunatic.

If I was responding like a "raving lunatic" than it should be pretty easy to make me look stupid. I called you out for what you are, and you have nothing to counter, so goodbye.

And this just in: Lebron James isn't good at basketball, he's only 6'8" 250 with a 48 inch vert and 84 inch wingspan.

Very sad and transparent thread. I know this sounds crazy but the body an athlete was born with is a huge part of what will make him successful and only a fool wouldn't fully utilize that. I'm pretty sure you could even make that concept clear to a 12 year old.

Would Tyson have been as successful if he didn't hit hard? or better yet, Usain Bolt. Would Usain Bolt be as successful if he wasn't as fast?:rolleyes:

[YT]xOggTrjfx4M[/YT]

I personally don't. There are some fighters I see who look really skilled when they fight, and then there is Jon Jones. When I see him dominate an opponent it never looks like it has anything to do with him being more skilled, and more to do with him having a major, MAJOR physical advantage.

The dude can literally stand back and hit people from a distance where they can never hit him. He does have a strong wrestling base, I'll give him that, but the long arms are also part of that. It's super hard to shoot on someone who can easily keep you at bay just from putting their fingers in your eyes from 3 feet away. But once again if Jon Jones had a normal wingspan, I don't think we would see him nearly as dominant in the sport of MMA.

That to me is why calling Jon Jones the "p4p" best fighter really annoys me. Pound for pound is about skill, and Jon isn't really skilled, he's just genetically blessed. You can't even argue that his skills look anything similar to Jose Aldo or Anthony Pettis.

Are you joking? Struve isn't champ! Nuff said

How many spinning elbows does jones need to fly?

A better question would be: Would Nick Newell be MORE successful with TWO arms?

Would Sean Sherk still be champ if he had Bones arms?

Obvious troll bait.

Thats why Stefan Struve is HW GOAT ts, because he has reach advantage.

Great argument, really. It's not like Struve is a HW fighting HWs that have a longer reach than LHWs. But still, great argument. :icon_neut

Obvious troll bait.

Thats why Stefan Struve is HW GOAT ts, because he has reach advantage.
This is such a retarded response, and also a very common one.

Having a long reach is an advantage, no question about it. If you were to take away Struves reach he would be even worse. The same is true for Jones. His reach is an advantage, it makes him a better fighter than what he would be without the reach. The real question is would Jones be good enough without the reach to still be champion?

This is such a retarded response, and also a very common one.

Having a long reach is an advantage, no question about it. If you were to take away Struves reach he would be even worse. The same is true for Jones. His reach is an advantage, it makes him a better fighter than what he would be without the reach. The real question is would Jones be good enough without the reach to still be champion?

If you were to take away anyones reach they would be worse. I dont think you know what retarded response means otherwise you wouldnt post things like this. My point is that jones advantage lies in how he uses his reach=skill, not in the reach itself. Not every long person is good fighters but those who can use it to their advantage are skilled fighters.

Would Tyson have been as successful if he didn't hit hard? or better yet, Usain Bolt. Would Usain Bolt be as successful if he wasn't as fast?:rolleyes:

It would be more like would bolt be as fast if his legs were shorter. And no he wouldn't be as fast with shorter legs.

lol @ people calling out Struve.

Struve is the exception, he is tall and long but he doesn't know how use his reach.

Rory is tall and long for his weigh class too but he's very technical, skill by skill i'd say more than Jones.

It would be more like would bolt be as fast if his legs were shorter. And no he wouldn't be as fast with shorter legs.

Not necessarily true. He's lost to runners with shorter legs. Running style & how long you hold your top speed are the biggest factors in sprinting. Not limb length. If Bolt ran with a less exaggerated stride, he may run just as fast or faster. If limb length were the biggest factor in speed, the giraffe would be galloping laps around cheetahs.

He would have fought differently, but hypothetical situations are a weird thing as we deal with the reality that he has a long reach.

Back