Do you think Jon Jones would be as successful if he had a normal wingspan?

Unicorn Princes

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
[YT]xOggTrjfx4M[/YT]

I personally don't. There are some fighters I see who look really skilled when they fight, and then there is Jon Jones. When I see him dominate an opponent it never looks like it has anything to do with him being more skilled, and more to do with him having a major, MAJOR physical advantage.

The dude can literally stand back and hit people from a distance where they can never hit him. He does have a strong wrestling base, I'll give him that, but the long arms are also part of that. It's super hard to shoot on someone who can easily keep you at bay just from putting their fingers in your eyes from 3 feet away. But once again if Jon Jones had a normal wingspan, I don't think we would see him nearly as dominant in the sport of MMA.

That to me is why calling Jon Jones the "p4p" best fighter really annoys me. Pound for pound is about skill, and Jon isn't really skilled, he's just genetically blessed. You can't even argue that his skills look anything similar to Jose Aldo or Anthony Pettis.

His ability to utilize his reach indicates that he'd be able to identify and exploit other physical gifts he might have.
If he had no physical gifts, then, no, I doubt he'd be champion.

But, as much as I don't like Jones, how many champions would be champions if they didn't have something that set them apart?

Doesn't matter.

No point in debating this, because he does have a ridiculous wing span, and you still have to work through it.

Lol @ ts creating inexistent reasons to hate.

Would he be as successful if he was a midget?

Obvious troll bait.

Thats why Stefan Struve is HW GOAT ts, because he has reach advantage.

What a stupid thread. Why not just ask if he'd be as successful if he had no arms?

The dude is as successful as he is, the way he is. Obviously if he were different, his results would be different as well.

Fighter bashing hidden behind a ridiculous premise. Seek help for your issues TS.

Obvious troll bait.

Thats why Stefan Struve is HW GOAT ts, because he has reach advantage.

Comparing someone who is massively undersized for his weight division to someone who is massively over-sized in his just silly. And yes, Struve looks ridiculously skinny as a HW.

I still think he would be highly ranked without the wingspan it's his fighting style that also gives opponents worry, mind you that fighting style is coupled with that wingspan.

Comparing someone who is massively undersized for his weight division to someone who is massively over-sized in his just silly. And yes, Struve looks ridiculously skinny as a HW.

Your whole premise is silly, troll. Gtfo.

didnt-read-lol-gif-6.gif

[YT]xOggTrjfx4M[/YT]

Jon isn't really skilled, he's just genetically blessed.
Every three weeks or so a whitebelt comes here and tries to make this point. Its one of the dumbest opinions I've ever heard in my life.

Countless fighters have had good reach but only been average and sometimes even subpar. Jones unpredictability is a huge part of his game; rather his effective unpredictability.

Effective unpredictability is skill. And by the way, you can argue this same stupid point about any athlete in a sport that happens to be genetically gifted. What, so next are you gonna argue that Lebron isn't a skilled basketball player, or that Wilt Chamberlain wasn't that great or Mike Trout is only genetically gifted?

And by the way, genetic gifts are part of what make athletes great, its not something held against them if they are.

Your whole premise is silly, troll. Gtfo.

You come into threads and just insult people repeatedly, then have the audacity to call someone else a troll.

Learn how to debate ideas, or express your own without making personal attacks on others. It will help you a lot in life.

Jon Jones is not massively over sized. Oh my fucking god you're an idiot. You're not entitled to your own facts. Jon Jones weighs less than a lot of LHW's, including some of the ones he's fought.

So a guy you don't like is a great fighter. Get over it. Tyson was a natural born puncher; are you gonna argue next that he wasn't really skilled, just naturally powerful?

You do understand natural skills play a huge part in athleticism, right?

And also, there's debating ideas, and then there's being a moron. Go look up "Flat Earth Society". Its a group of people that think the earth is flat and there's a conspiracy hundreds of years old to lie to people and say the earth is round. You're essentially a member with your "Jon isn't skilled" ideas.

Back