Do you REALLY think Frankie/Mendez would beat Conor?

I believe that both Mendes and Edgar would take Conor to the ground and abuse him.

More importantly, the UFC owners believe the same thing, which is why they matched Conor up with Siver instead of Mendes or Edgar.[/QUOTE]

Or it could be because Mendes/Edgar were booked with other fights or had just fought when Conor wanted to stay active. Try again.

Edgar is free to fight again and can be matched up with Conor next to see if he's legitimately a number 1 contender. But the UFC brass will have Conor skip it and go straight for the title shot...

There is also Lamas... why isn't Conor fighting him?

If they fought today my money would be on Mendes or Frankie just because until I see Conor agaisnt someone with top-level takedowns, I'm going to assume he will struggle to stop them. Not because he has shown a weakness in stopping TD's before, but because I kind of assume that a person with no thorough wrestling base would really struggle to do it.

Aldo proved me wrong there, but my base assumption is that the TD's are going to be there for both of those guys when they are fighting guys that aren't elite wrestlers.

Also, Both of those guys have gone the distance with one of the best strikers in MMA. I think they could withstand McGregor on the feet in between TD's and perhaps even without TD's.

What has connor done at any point in his career to cope with an all time great like Edgar? Mcgregor has looked good beating lesser opponents, but he really hasn't approached the edgar/mendes levels of the division.
As for Mendes, Mcgregor won't have a size advantage over him, and he won't be on a level wrestling wise with Mendes.
Mcgregor just might be that good, but Mendes/Edgar/Aldo are proven commodities, we KNOW they are that good

Chad Mendes

Height: 5 ft 6 in (168 cm)
Reach: 66.0 in (168 cm)

Conor McGregor

Height: 5 ft 9 in (175 cm)
Reach: 74.0 in (188 cm)

Edgar is free to fight again and can be matched up with Conor next to see if he's legitimately a number 1 contender. But the UFC brass will have Conor skip it and go straight for the title shot...

There is also Lamas... why isn't Conor fighting him?

Why would you kill off a potential contender while Aldo is healthy and waiting for a fight? That doesn't make much sense.

Lamas/Bermudez was booked already when Conor wanted to fight. It was either going to be Lentz or Siver as his only available Top 10 opponents.

Frankie would outwrestle McGregor pretty easily imo. Because of the takedown threat, it wouldn't shock me if he outboxed McGregor either.

I love Mcgregor but Frankie would beat him not sure about mendes tho he might get dragged into a striking match and get KTFO.

I don't get why everyone thinks Frankie would walk through Connor and Mendez wouldn't. Mendez is better than Frankie in speed, strength, power, athleticism, and wrestling. I hope Mendez fights Frankie now so I can win some money, because unlike Maynard he wouldn't gas.

I think both could beat Connor. Mendez has the better shot out of the 2. I actually think Conner would have a good chance to beat Edgar, but Mendez looked real good against Aldo. Tough to see him lose to Connor unless Connor's TDD is better than expected.

Conor would KTFO Mendes.

Edgar is clever and would be more of a pest.

I still think Connor would uppercut Edgar into the 14th row. Bigger, stronger with much faster hands and enough takedown defense to stuff Edgar.

Chad "Mini" Mendes would get humiliate by Conor IMO.

Yes.. and with relative ease too

1 sided mauling for either of them... Conor wouldn't be able to utilize his reach with them gitting inside and dirty boxing into takedowns.

I don't know, but I'd like to see Frankie vs Mendes.

A lot of people would like to see it.

Don't tell me they give us the fights the "fans want to see" if they can't seem to do fights like Frankie vs Mendes or Joe B vs Dodson.

Exactly.

Edgar could definitely take McGregor down - he'd probably get back to his feet fairly quickly, but Edgar doesn't care if people stand right back up, he'll just take them down again and again to win the round, force them to expend energy getting up, and hit them as they stand. He doesn't tend to shoot the kind of telegraphed blast doubles that fighters are used to countering with uppercuts , but prefers knee taps and ankle picks (takedowns that work especially well against a wide, low, bladed karate stance) woven into striking exchanges. Stylistically, he's an awful matchup for McGregor.

Mendes is more of a question mark. McGregor could probably outpoint him on the feet until he gets aggressive, then counter Mendes' counter, but if he's willing to brawl with him the same way he did with Holloway, Porier, and Siver, then he's going to eat power shots from Mendes at a range where it's easier for Mendes to generate full force than for McGregor. We haven't seen how well McGregor defends against clinch takedowns or body-locks yet (his high center of gravity does him no favors here), but if he lets Mendes get close, he's in serious danger until he can reestablish distance and slow down the fight.

His TDD against Siver was good (I know they are better) but its the athleticism he showed in the TDD. I had already assumed the guy had good TDD just because of his skill/desire/talent. I bet hes worked his ass off on TDD.

Now im pretty sure Frankie or Mendez cant take him down at will and if they do he will get right back up. The guy is huge in size for the division and I bet he is stronger than ppl give him credit for. Thing is with Conor, when he hits a guy you can almost see their power go down,like in a video game. I dont think anybody in the division can hang with his power.

I feel its kind of like the DC fans saying hes gonna ragdoll Jones.Different animal. Conor is bigger/stronger than ppl assume and I dont see either fighter beating him.

They are not going to slowly grab Conor and try to muscle him down. Edgar, Mendes and Aldo have the most explosive takedowns at FW and LW.

I'd expect him to crush Lamas and Bemudez though.

MCG is a top class elite fighter.

But Siver took him down, and you can argue that he didn't stay down long enough, but it wasn't the takedown so much. But Sivers level change opened up McG for the takedown. And if Siver can do it....that means my mother can do it and if she can.....then Mendes or Edgar can and will!

Hell! I think Aldo will take him down easily

They'd be great fights imo.

You'd think we'd actually have gotten to SEE THEM before CM fights the champ.

Whatever.

His TDD against Siver was good (I know they are better) but its the athleticism he showed in the TDD. I had already assumed the guy had good TDD just because of his skill/desire/talent. I bet hes worked his ass off on TDD.

Now im pretty sure Frankie or Mendez cant take him down at will and if they do he will get right back up. The guy is huge in size for the division and I bet he is stronger than ppl give him credit for. Thing is with Conor, when he hits a guy you can almost see their power go down,like in a video game. I dont think anybody in the division can hang with his power.

I feel its kind of like the DC fans saying hes gonna ragdoll Jones.Different animal. Conor is bigger/stronger than ppl assume and I dont see either fighter beating him.

Yes I'm pretty confident they would. Uisng the Sive fight as a reference isn't doing your argument any much as you've already pointed out, Frankie and Chad are better and you've not taken into account their athleticism aswell.

Frankie has dealt with bigger fighters for the majority of his career. Mendes is a powerful guy. I see Conor getting ragdolled and beaten up

Taking massive amounts of damage from the likes of Maynard ought to do harm to that reputation then, right? Also, he lost the first fight against BJ (and the third fight was a circus, nothing more).

Its funny, cause comments like the one above can really make you look stupid.

or at least young (to the sport)

Edgar would decision the shit out of Conor and who gives a fuck about viciousness.

Lol @ decisioning the shit.

Maybe Edgar would (amazing fighter) but he would be in danger every second he stands with McG.

Hopefully we get to see sometime.

Back