Do you REALLY think Frankie/Mendez would beat Conor?

I would favor Mendes over the goat

Edgar I think would get picked apart, but be interesting to see how Conor fares in deep waters with a pressure fighter like Edgar

Taking massive amounts of damage from the likes of Maynard ought to do harm to that reputation then, right? Also, he lost the first fight against BJ (and the third fight was a circus, nothing more).

LOL. Revisionism at its best.

Maynard had never lost until Edgar KOed him. Maynard beat Jim Miller, Huerta, Diaz and Florian in 4 straight fights to earn his TS.

I guess Diaz, Florian and Miller are slouches now right

Nothing about that was "razor thin". Edgar accomplished next to nothing against Aldo. Meanwhile, Aldo did all of the meaningful damage, landed the harder shots (and more often), and controlled the entire fight (for the most part). The only reason the data are even somewhat close is because Frankie utilized those pitter-patter leg-kicks throughout (that did nothing but score points).

I'd love to think it was razor thin but I'm pretty sure Aldo won 4 rounds. No shame in that.

Taking massive amounts of damage from the likes of Maynard ought to do harm to that reputation then, right? Also, he lost the first fight against BJ (and the third fight was a circus, nothing more).

The scoring on the first fight still drives me nuts. I wish I could add the first Frankie fight and the first GSP fight to BJ's win total....

I think the scepticism is somewhat justified but Conor has a big striking and reach advantage over those two that could be exploited a lot more viciously then a bit of top control and sporadic GnP.

Check the scorecards, brah. 1,2,3 judges called that fight for one Frank Edgar. And I have a strong suspicion they are smarter than you.

Most fans and media scored the first fight for BJ (data located at several different websites), making the judges the incredible minority of a larger sample. I have a strong suspicion that you will struggle with the concept of statistics. (http://www.mmadecisions.com/decision/1468/Frankie-Edgar-vs-B.J.-Penn)

In addition, the data indicate a win for BJ in their first outing: http://blog.fightmetric.com/2010/08/edgar-vs-penn-fightmetric-report.html

I think the scepticism is somewhat justified but Conor has a big striking and reach advantage over those two that could be exploited a lot more viciously then a bit of top control and sporadic GnP.

Edgar would decision the shit out of Conor and who gives a fuck about viciousness.

The scoring on the first fight still drives me nuts. I wish I could add the first Frankie fight and the first GSP fight to BJ's win total....

If you wanted BJ to win, it should drive you nuts. I thought Frankie had zero chance of winning the first fight. After 4 rounds I figured all he had to do was survive the 5th, which he decided to just go ahead and win instead.

Jr. had good TTD for the first few attempts from Cain, then he wore down. Connor still has to be tested by an elite wrestler. Mendez would be persistent and give Connor trouble. It'd be great to see these two go at it.

LOL. Revisionism at its best.

Maynard had never lost until Edgar KOed him. Maynard beat Jim Miller, Huerta, Diaz and Florian in 4 straight fights to earn his TS.

I guess Diaz, Florian and Miller are slouches now right

Maynard was kind of gifted that Diaz decision (and Diaz finished him on the show) and the other wins aren't anything overly special, especially when you include the manner in which he won. Maynard was not demolishing these people, by any stretch of the imagination.

Most fans and media scored the first fight for BJ (data located at several different websites), making the judges the incredible minority of a larger sample. I have a strong suspicion that you will struggle with the concept of statistics. (http://www.mmadecisions.com/decision/1468/Frankie-Edgar-vs-B.J.-Penn)

In addition, the data indicate a win for BJ in their first outing: http://blog.fightmetric.com/2010/08/edgar-vs-penn-fightmetric-report.html

Ooh, Fightmetric. BJ has never lost a fight on Fightmetric. Compustrike told a different tale, apparently Fightmetric was seeing some phantom punches.

I think Frankie is gonna be champ

Edgar would decision the shit out of Conor and who gives a fuck about viciousness.

He fell over twice when Siver put a hand on his hips. Frankie would mount that like Roy Rogers and pound him into oblivion. No decision.

Watch the fight, BJ won! Not because I wanted him too but because he dominated the center of the octagon and delivered the only significant strikes.

Watch the fight, BJ won! Not because I wanted him too but because he dominated the center of the octagon and delivered the only significant strikes.

Without a doubt. I am not sure how anyone could score that fight for Edgar; a terrible robbery.

Edgar is good at pretending to be effective. Look no further than the way in which people talk about his fight with Aldo. Frankie effectively did nothing in that fight (of note) yet a large amount of people think the fight was close and many think he won. He does a great job at manipulating observers into thinking he is landing with gravitas, but he mostly spends time engaging in pitter-patter nonsense and shadow-strikes.

To be fair, Edgar actually impressed me with his win over Cub; he was much more effective, and he went for the finish. As I said before the fight, though, Edgar is a nightmare matchup for Cub (and Cub will never beat a grappler of his caliber).

I think both would beat him, as will Aldo.

There is absolutely no way BJ won 2 rounds in the first GSP fight. I've watched that fight no less than 5 times over the years, and even in TRYING to find ways to give BJ more than 1 round I couldn't.

There is absolutely no way BJ won 2 rounds in the first GSP fight. I've watched that fight no less than 5 times over the years, and even in TRYING to find ways to give BJ more than 1 round I couldn't.

And people claiming that he did vaporize any credibility they may have had when they try and put him over Frankie.

Back