Do you miss Tank Abbott?

I remember one vid when Tank was asked with which fighter he wanted to have a beer. He said: Oleg Taktarov. He called him a tough fighter. That interview took place in a bar with some annoying dude (a friend of Tank?) who was always kissing Tanks ass. Anyone got the link to that vid?
P.S. To answer the question: YES, I

I'd take 1996 Tank over Kimbo. However, it's not really a fair comparison. Kimbo had the benefit of starting MMA after it evolved 15 years and trained with Bas. Tank came into MMA when it was in its infancy and had nothing but a jr college wrestling background and a little boxing training.

1996 can Abott would still lose. there is no difference.

1996 can Abott would still lose. there is no difference.

There was absolutely a difference. He made it to the final match of a tournament, then rolled with Oleg Taktarov for 17 minutes in Utah (super high altitude). In 1996, that meant you were one of the better fighters. No one considered him a can back then.

Like many here, you use hindsight analysis to judge fighters from a different era. Anyone who thinks a 31-year old Tank = 43 year old Tank is either terribly biased or knows nothing about either MMA or human physiology.

First UFC fight I ever saw live on PPV was Tank Abbott vs. Scott Ferrozzo I (yes, they had a rematch in a back yard where Tank got revenge via UD).

He was pretty funny. He was kind of like an early version of Chael.

I think he described Gary Goodridge as "something between fairly intelligent and a complete moron".

See that stuff's funny, but being 40 and saying he would kick the living shit out of prime Fedor is Trolling.

I was thinking the same about the Chael comment. He talked great and fought everyone they wanted to put in front of him. His excuses for losing were like Tito though. He was always fun to watch ( win or lose ) as he always came to fight and tried to finish.

Naw. I never found him particularly entertaining, plus he was never good.

There was absolutely a difference. He made it to the final match of a tournament, then rolled with Oleg Taktarov for 17 minutes in Utah (super high altitude). In 1996, that meant you were one of the better fighters. No one considered him a can back then.

Like many here, you use hindsight analysis to judge fighters from a different era. Anyone who thinks a 31-year old Tank = 43 year old Tank is either terribly biased or knows nothing about either MMA or human physiology.

I think it was Wyoming. Sadly UFC hasn't made it to Utah yet. Hdd a fight night scheduled here and then moved it to San Diego :(

Naw. I never found him particularly entertaining, plus he was never good.

But don't you like him when is losing like when he grimace in pain when MO kick his leg?

For me Tank win or lose is entertaining its like he does not fit the mold of what an Athlete is suppose to look like but some how he can push thru like his win against Hugo Duartte.

From what I remember when Jeff Bilatnick interviewed him he said a lot of random stuff like having nightmares about being raped by Freddie Mercury and Jeff just kept quite I wonder what could have happened if he said that today I am thinking he could be put on suspension for that.

Also during his post fight interview after beating Paul Varelans he said something like getting sexually aroused while punching Paul in the head while watching the instant replay on the big screen.

Tank's colour commentary then was amazing. SEG knew a gem when they saw it.

I think it was Wyoming. Sadly UFC hasn't made it to Utah yet. Hdd a fight night scheduled here and then moved it to San Diego :(

Yup, Casper Wyoming elevation 5200', that is some thin air.

Tank's colour commentary then was amazing. SEG knew a gem when they saw it.

He also told Blatnick that Severn's Elbows did not hurt him that Elbows only hurt if the one you are hitting is from queer street.

I am just thinking now. If Abbott fought in UFC1 he could have beaten Royce with his style Royce probably will have a hard time taking him down and Tank could have landed a KO.

2005-05-07_Tank_Abbott_vs_Wesley__27_27Cabbage_27_27_Correira__28Rumble_on_the_Rock_7_29_1.gif

I am just thinking now. If Abbott fought in UFC1 he could have beaten Royce with his style Royce probably will have a hard time taking him down and Tank could have landed a KO.

Look at the Damage Kimo did to Royce. Tank would have killed him.

I miss Tank Abbott. His fights always end with a KO one way or another.

If Tank Abbott was what the UFC was selling, I'd not be buying much...

Shit yes I miss him. Doesn't mean I want him to make a comeback. Just a bit of nostalgia, that's all.

Guy's a legend.

Yes I miss his style, his attitude and aggression...I don't think a Prime Tank would fair very well in today's UFC....

Another interesting fight that did not happen was Ken Shamrock VS Tank in their prime.

And Mark Coleman vs Tank.

I guess if Severn beat Tank Coleman could have beat him up too.

Yes I miss his style, his attitude and aggression...I don't think a Prime Tank would fair very well in today's UFC....

No. Not likely. Although there's a few guys that would be checking out the ceiling lights if they decided to stand with him. Prime Tank could KO anyone.

Back