Do you miss Tank Abbott?

Ken Shamrock is one of my favorite fighters of all time, but if he would stop bullshitting, I would definitely be down to watch Ken vs. Tank.

It got pretty fucking boring.

Cool thing was that they used the old school UFC rules: 13 minute (?) first round and 3 minute extended period if necessary.

First couple minutes were crazy: haymaker's like they were going out of style.

Then it was a gassed Tank lol LNP.

Extended period was brawl for :30 seconds before Tank gasses against and goes back to LNP.

But no, the judges were just some of their buddies looking for a good time. I think some of them were drunk or at least had a beer in hand.

That's really horrible. I'm glad that was in someone's back yard and they never got paid for that.

I remember one vid when Tank was asked with which fighter he wanted to have a beer. He said: Oleg Taktarov. He called him a tough fighter. That interview took place in a bar with some annoying dude (a friend of Tank?) who was always kissing Tanks ass. Anyone got the link to that vid?
P.S. To answer the question: YES, I

tanksw.jpg

That big right hand at the 1:11 mark was sweet tho!

lolololol

some thoughts:

1) It's funny how people go from looking like warriors to looking crazy just by taking them from a cage and putting them in front of a barbecue.

2) Youtube needs a fast forward button.

3) The majority of that match was the most dry-humpy LNP I've ever seen. Seriously. There were no strikes, just Tank, with his arms wrapped around Ferrozo, occassionally thrusting forward and breathing hard. Tank was one of the reasons I got into MMA. This match would most definitely have repelled me.

Berfore there was big country there was the Tank.

That's really horrible. I'm glad that was in someone's back yard and they never got paid for that.

They might have gotten paid.

It's worth checking out the first couple minutes like the other dude said.

That embedded video is the fight, and you can catch a flash of prime Tank Abbott material.

He was a poor example of a human. I enjoyed seeing him get beaten up although it rarely happened because he gave up when in the slightest bit of trouble. That said he was an incredible fighter given his lack of training.

i was a fan of him as a fighter- he was exciting and always came to fight. As a human being though, not so much- he just came off as a genuinely bad person to me

I remember one vid when Tank was asked with which fighter he wanted to have a beer. He said: Oleg Taktarov. He called him a tough fighter. That interview took place in a bar with some annoying dude (a friend of Tank?) who was always kissing Tanks ass. Anyone got the link to that vid?
P.S. To answer the question: YES, I

lolololol

some thoughts:

1) It's funny how people go from looking like warriors to looking crazy just by taking them from a cage and putting them in front of a barbecue.

2) Youtube needs a fast forward button.

3) The majority of that match was the most dry-humpy LNP I've ever seen. Seriously. There were no strikes, just Tank, with his arms wrapped around Ferrozo, occassionally thrusting forward and breathing hard. Tank was one of the reasons I got into MMA. This match would most definitely have repelled me.

That was probably the sweetest thing I've ever seen. Especially when Tank hit his face right at the beginning. I'd love to go to a barbecue like that. =)

That was probably the sweetest thing I've ever seen. Especially when Tank hit his face right at the beginning. I'd love to go to a barbecue like that. =)

Can you imagine the police walking in on the second half of the match? You'd be furiously rewinding your camera to convince them you were all there for a fight and not one of those gay-orgy barbecues.

From what I remember when Jeff Bilatnick interviewed him he said a lot of random stuff like having nightmares about being raped by Freddie Mercury and Jeff just kept quite I wonder what could have happened if he said that today I am thinking he could be put on suspension for that.

Also during his post fight interview after beating Paul Varelans he said something like getting sexually aroused while punching Paul in the head while watching the instant replay on the big screen.

I don't miss cans.

Another newbie who wasn't watching MMA back in 1996...

Tank could never beat the elites, but he was one of the better fighters during his first few years. While he was never ripped, he was a massive, powerful guy--definitely stronger than his current self or Roy Nelson. He also used his wrestling background in his early fights--for both GnP and an occasional nasty neck crank against the cage.

It's sad that most here only know the Tank from the last 5-10 years. By that point he was in his 40s, badly out of shape and relied totally on landing bombs.

No not really, his act got old real quick with me. People think he was exciting which he was as long as the bout didn't last more than 10 seconds.

Yes, I definitely miss Tank Abbott. It did not take long for some haters to show up in this thread, but what do you guys really know? I'll tell you. Not a damn thing.

Kimbo>>>>Tank and it's not even close.

Another newbie who wasn't watching MMA back in 1996...

Tank could never beat the elites, but he was one of the better fighters during his first few years. While he was never ripped, he was a massive, powerful guy--definitely stronger than his current self or Roy Nelson. He also used his wrestling background in his early fights--for both GnP and an occasional nasty neck crank against the cage.

It's sad that most here only know the Tank from the last 5-10 years. By that point he was in his 40s, badly out of shape and relied totally on landing bombs.

He was a can his entire career. he's no better then Kimbo who people love to hate on.

Kimbo>>>>Tank and it's not even close.

I'd take 1996 Tank over Kimbo. However, it's not really a fair comparison. Kimbo had the benefit of starting MMA after it evolved 15 years and trained with Bas. Tank came into MMA when it was in its infancy and had nothing but a jr college wrestling background and a little boxing training.

Back