• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do you look down on people who were spoiled?

I have a friend who would be considered spoiled by most standards. His parents bought him a couple different cars throughout high school, he never had to take a job besides working for the family business and could focus on athletics and grades throughout high school. He got no scholarships to go to college, took five years to graduate with a couple bs degrees, all on his parent's dime with no student loan debt. Then he decides he wants to go to law school and gets that covered as well. He doesn't come across as an ungrateful prick or a spoiled brat who is super selfish, although he sometimes does say derogatory things about bouncers at bars and people like that and he always knows exactly the brand and price of everything that people have, but all in all he's a good cat. However, I can't help but feel a little judgmental towards people who are 22 years old and have never had a real job, get everything paid for and seemingly never go through the tough times. I feel like those types of people don't handle adversity well and eventually won't end up being successful. What say you?

so you're friend was focused on sport and academics during school, went to college, got 2 degrees, now goes to law school, has a low opinion of night club bouncers, is grateful for what he's got and all in all is a good guy, yet you still feel the need to judge him negatively because of the money his parents earned?

Wow, TS.

so you're friend was focused on sport and academics during school, went to college, got 2 degrees, now goes to law school, has a low opinion of night club bouncers, is grateful for what he's got and all in all is a good guy, yet you still feel the need to judge him negatively because of the money his parents earned?

Wow, TS.

Something tells me ts wears fedoras.

Wow, TS.

Direct hit.

I don't look down on people that seem to come from money or anything. Sure they are snobby at times but if I ever had rich parents I would be that kid in rehab all the time. If they have a good life because of their parents, isn't that we all strive for with our own kids?

It's human nature. When you grew up with no opportunities, no education, no help, no hope, hell not enough to eat sometimes, and you see people that have all of that and seem to take it for granted.... well rustlemania will occur.

I come from some money, had a private education, car paid for, job if I want it at mothers business, spend time on their yacht etc.

From 18 however I've not taken anything from them. Still owe my university debt, work two jobs, do skilled manual labour and door work.

Sure I'll get some when they pass but yeah, people who are spoiled, who think they are better than others are unpleasant.

I like messing with people like thats expectations, I'm there building a wall (because I like it) an they have expectations about such labour. If they find out you got some money behind you suddenly they're asking questions so They can gauge where you are in the hierarchy.

Heh.

I look down on everyone, people doing both better than me or worse than me.

Seeing as I had pretty much nothing growing up, yes, yes I do.

Damn it, man! We have got to stop agreeing with eachother! People are going to think we're alts!

When I went back to school at 30 I had met a 21 year old kid who was the son of a rich millionaire. His dad sent him to montreal, bought him a condo, bought him a Mercedes to get around, and paid for all his bills plus a 5 thousand dollar monthly allowance. The kid was like a lost puppy. Didn't know his place in the world. He had difficulties making friends. He would just go to his rooftop and smoke weed. The kids looked mistake and I felt bad for him. I took him under my wing a bit and he is doing better now.

But no, I don't resent those with more money than me

Don't really look down, just make fun of them every chance I get which happens to be often.

TS, aren't you confusing your judgment with jealousy?

If he can do that I'm all for it. Working a shit job only for the sake of doing to somehow get approval from you isn't my idea of good decision making.

I don't look down on anyone who was spoiled, though it does change my perception of them as far as their common sense goes. It's pretty much a known fact that spoiled kids are fucking naive as shit and continue to be for a lonnnnng time.

I couldn't care less, unless the person as an adult still shows the repercussions of being spoiled in an annoying way. Girl I used to work with was an obnoxious, selfish, materialistic bitch who acted expected to be treated like a princess at all times as a direct result of her very wealthy parents spoiling the shit out of her. She was totally unable to relate to anyone not raised that way and looked down on people who weren't privileged. Could not stand her.

no. I give my kids anything they want as long as their grades, and behavior are up to the standard I've set. that said my kids don't want things that are too expensive at the moment once they get to high school and want $500 dollar jeans, and different gadgets.

I may have to set the bar unreachably high like 4.0,community service, all state in three different sports, keep the house clean. as a parent you need a natural flex response like that.

I couldn't care less, unless the person as an adult still shows the repercussions of being spoiled in an annoying way. Girl I used to work with was an obnoxious, selfish, materialistic bitch who acted expected to be treated like a princess at all times as a direct result of her very wealthy parents spoiling the shit out of her. She was totally unable to relate to anyone not raised that way and looked down on people who weren't privileged. Could not stand her.

A best friend of mine recently married this girl or her twin.

Hell no, I appreciate that people are able to create good opportunities for their children. I'm always happy to meet people who were spoiled and find out about their life. Must be pretty cool. I have spoiled friends and cousins and I think it can certainly be a good thing.

A best friend of mine recently married this girl or her twin.

Probably a lot of them here in CT...but oddly enough this girl is getting married very soon to a significantly older, fairly wealthy guy. She has daddy issues.

Nah, they can't help the way they were raised.

Seems more of a problem with women. My friend's wife is an unbearable money grubber. Sucks him dry because she was spoiled from an early age and expects the world.

Back