• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do you look down on people who were spoiled?

I Am that spoiled brat. Been driving luxury cars since high school. My dad just bought me a bmw 750 li, my previous was a LS he bought me. He also bought me a nice house in Orange County in cash, it's completely paid off. Parents completely paid for my undergrad schooling although i lived at home and drove an hour + to save them money from dorm/rent. My parents told me many times it's okay if i live on campus or closer to school they would pay but I refused as I thought it would be a complete waste of money.

I'm 28 and they are still buying me nice things all the time. I never ask for anything though. i am incredibly thankful for everything I get and I let my parents know that. My dad owns a business that does well and wants me to take it over. After graduating with a BS in biochemistry I declined my dads offer, I'm currently in grad school a year away from getting my PhD in biochemistry. When I finish i will move back to Ventura county and they will probably buy me a 1.5+ million dollar house, although i insist I don't need something huge or nice. I could have done the billy Madison route or taken over the business and worked with my dad, but I wanted to challenge myself and find a path I enjoyed. Although due to some circumstances I will probably run the business after I graduate.

My friends know my family is wealthy and I'm spoiled but they have never given me crap for it. They will usually defend me if someone (like an outside acquaintance at a party) says something about it. Actually nobody I grew up with (even people I was not friends with ) has ever given me crap for it and I grew up in a small town where everyone grows up knowing everyone. They know I don't ask for any of it and they also know that I'm the type of person who could live without the nice stuff. I don't post pictures of the nice stuff I get on Facebook or tell everyone dude look at my new car when I get one or things like that. I just let things happen to me and to about my business. I don't brag or say anything about money in general. I remember a friend coming to my dads business with me when I wanted to pick something up from there. He comes I with me , he does a complete cartoon jaw drop and says something like "dude I knew u guys were wealthy but wtf ur dad owns all this, you never mentioned it".

Also I wouldn't say money buys you out of tough times. Grad school has been a miserable struggle for me. Although not having to worry about rent or anything financial does lighten the burden, a lot of the things that have been troubling me cannot be changed with money.

You sound like a decent fellow, and it might be pretty cool to take over the family business when you're ready.

I was drinking with this Japanese guy at a hotel bar and he told me about his family business. Dude is like 3rd or 4th generation in the business, but he didn't want to go that direction with his life. He used to live in Israel in a kibbutz, and loved living there. His dad visited him after a few years and asked him to take over the family business, which he did. He wasn't 100% sure he made the right decision, but I told him I respected him for continuing his family's legacy, something that isn't really common in the west. Lots of family-owned, 100 year old shops and businesses in Japan. It definitely took sacrifice on his part, and I don't know if I could do it. I probably couldn't.

You sound middle-classed.

I have no issues with rich folk doing rich folk stuff. Jealousy is a pretty vicious emotion and to me is far worse than some guy driving a nice car.

What I don't like is rich parents empowering their kids to think they're better than others because they're more well off financially.

You're trying too hard man.

Do you even plat, bro?

You sound like a decent fellow, and it might be pretty cool to take over the family business when you're ready.

I was drinking with this Japanese guy at a hotel bar and he told me about his family business. Dude is like 3rd or 4th generation in the business, but he didn't want to go that direction with his life. He used to live in Israel in a kibbutz, and loved living there. His dad visited him after a few years and asked him to take over the family business, which he did. He wasn't 100% sure he made the right decision, but I told him I respected him for continuing his family's legacy, something that isn't really common in the west. Lots of family-owned, 100 year old shops and businesses in Japan. It definitely took sacrifice on his part, and I don't know if I could do it. I probably couldn't.

yeah i'm really struggling with the decision now. its taken a lot of work and time to get my PhD. and i really fell like i'm coming into my own as a scientist. but my parents sacrificed a hell of a lot to build the business and it makes a ton of money. i believe money is not more important than finding something you desire as far as a career, but the money from this business can insure my family is taken care of. my dad deserves to retire, if i took it over he could retire and i could provide for them. i would also do what my parents did, i would be working to make sure my kids lived a comfortable life and didnt have to worry about money. i figure after i feel comfortable at the business i could get a part time teaching gig at a university.

^yep spoken like the ton of kids ive spoken over the years.
They go off and do their own thing then realize they suck in real life and come back to take over daddys business. Despite the years of the father pushing the idea.
Same excuse they always give. "I wanted to try on my own and prove I can make it yada yada yada.."
Well thats good but all of them had a silver spoon from the beginning. Nothing wrong with that (not hating on you or anyone)but if you want to do it alone. Then cut ties and dont accept money, favors, etc.

My sister had money, she starved herself, drank bleach, attacked my mother with a knife, was homeless for 8yrs, sectioned under the mental health act many times, incarcerated.

Sure it's a little easier but I emphasise the 'little'.

Happiness doesn't have a lot to do with mone, it's more that it reduces stress. Basically anything that goes wrong is worse if you're poor. Shit still goes wrong.

Why was she homeless when she had money?

Nothing wrong with taking advantage of what life offers you. So long as you realize majority of people don't have the same opportunities and you don't make them feel less about themselves for it.

I some affluent friends that come from money and they are great people. I'm not going to judge them because their parents provided them a life most of our parents wished they could of.

I did before, and i had a hard life (relatively of course), but few years ago i met a guy who lived most of his childhood and teen years in a warzone.

He told me that i was a bitch, and that a man who never experienced a war is like a woman who never gave birth to a child. In other words i was unnatural.

All i said to that was "shit, its not my fault i grew up in a better place than you".

My best friend comes from a rich family. His dad is a millionaire. I don't look down on him but he does waste money like crazy. He will spend 100$ on designer socks. I'll spend 7 at Walmart for a 10 pack

^yep spoken like the ton of kids ive spoken over the years.
They go off and do their own thing then realize they suck in real life and come back to take over daddys business. Despite the years of the father pushing the idea.
Same excuse they always give. "I wanted to try on my own and prove I can make it yada yada yada.."
Well thats good but all of them had a silver spoon from the beginning. Nothing wrong with that (not hating on you or anyone)but if you want to do it alone. Then cut ties and dont accept money, favors, etc.

For me it had nothing to do with wanting to do it alone. I wanted my parents to have the option to not need to provide for me and for me to not need to be dependent on them (my grad school program gives a stipend it's enough to live on without taking on debt), and I let them know they didn't have to give me anything anymore, but they still bought me a house next... But all their choice.

Another large part of it was in case I did have to provide for myself alone. The business won't last forever, something could happen and the business shuts down and I'm left on my own. In which case I have a skill set to get me a decent job. And I realize very few have that opportunity to pursue whatever they want, so I realized how fortunate I was and took full advantage.

I've also bit the hand that feeds quite a bit, the only one in my family that has (and I'm the most spoiled and relied upon, go figure). When I was going away to grad school I told my parents my gf was moving in with me. my dad is old school egyptian, I was the first one and only one in the family so far to move In with their significant other before getting married. Everyone warned me I would be cut off finiancially, but I didn't hesitate. Told my parents what I was going to do regardless of their feelings and they still supported me.

You sound a bit judgemental of some of those people that are in similar situations as me. I'm not going back to the business and quitting grad school after a few months because I suck in real life. I'm completing my PhD (almost done!) then going back to the business. I would hate that anyone assumes i make the decision because I suck at it or diminishes what I accomplished but I know people will. I think I would succeed if I stay in my field, I hope that I can do it at least part time. I actually think I will be putting in more work and working harder taking over the business than I would getting a job in my field.

Last edited:
Back