• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do you look down on people who were spoiled?

Money sorts a lot of things, but the human condition is about what is relative.

Sure but if you grew up physically and mentally ill what then? At that point wouldn't having money and security and knowing that you will never starve or be homeless or not have a Christmas be purely positives?

Well, you live in West Sac. So there really is no way for you to look down on anyone.

Please don't kill me.

Haha, West Sac has a friendly side of town now. It's pretty nice as long as you make sure to turn left on Jefferson Blvd off the freeway.

Sure but if you grew up physically and mentally ill what then? At that point wouldn't having money and security and knowing that you will never starve or be homeless or not have a Christmas be purely positives?

My sister had money, she starved herself, drank bleach, attacked my mother with a knife, was homeless for 8yrs, sectioned under the mental health act many times, incarcerated.

Sure it's a little easier but I emphasise the 'little'.

Happiness doesn't have a lot to do with mone, it's more that it reduces stress. Basically anything that goes wrong is worse if you're poor. Shit still goes wrong.

Men shouldn't be jealous, that's a female trait.

@ TS

My sister had money, she starved herself, drank bleach, attacked my mother with a knife, was homeless for 8yrs, sectioned under the mental health act many times, incarcerated.

Sure it's a little easier but I emphasise the 'little'.

Happiness doesn't have a lot to do with mone, it's more that it reduces stress. Basically anything that goes wrong is worse if you're poor. Shit still goes wrong.

I guess I just never got that logic, and it's always brought up in this topic. "Anyone can struggle regardless of wealth though!" Well yeah.....duh. But knowing for a certainty you will have food to eat and a place to sleep, money for entertainment, an education, a vehicle to get around in, the right to choose your company, and on and on. Kinda makes it a bit easier.

As for the mental health argument, well I grew up in poverty, as did the vast majority of people I know. I don't know anyone who isn't mentally ill. I don't know anyone that hasn't had substance abuse problems. Most of us have been out here winging it with no help our whole lives because of the poverty. So yeah.....

I dont hate people like that, I just dont respect them. Both of my parents are very succesful and you could say that my family is rich, yet I never desired the easy life that this could give me.

I dont hate on people that take the easy way out, its just that living the struggle makes you a much more complete person.

Fook yeah I do, but I use the hate to fuel my efforts to make my kid as privileged as possible, my father did it for me and I appreciate the fook out of him.

Why look down on them? If it was your kids, would you want people looking down on them just because you gave them a better life?

I have a friend who is 37 and living off his parents. He doesn't live with his parents though, he lives next door, in a house his parents own, haha. They cut his lawn and send over a cleaning lady every week. No job but always a fridge full of beer and a bong full of weed. Also a member at the golf course, all on Mommy's dime. His dad says his job is a "waiter", as in waiting for the old man to die.

This guy had lost most of his friends, no one respects him.

I have a friend who is 37 and living off his parents. He doesn't live with his parents though, he lives next door, in a house his parents own, haha. They cut his lawn and send over a cleaning lady every week. No job but always a fridge full of beer and a bong full of weed. Also a member at the golf course, all on Mommy's dime. His dad says his job is a "waiter", as in waiting for the old man to die.

This guy had lost most of his friends, no one respects him.

Why don't they respect him? Is he married? Kids? No goals/ambitions?

I guess I just never got that logic, and it's always brought up in this topic. "Anyone can struggle regardless of wealth though!" Well yeah.....duh. But knowing for a certainty you will have food to eat and a place to sleep, money for entertainment, an education, a vehicle to get around in, the right to choose your company, and on and on. Kinda makes it a bit easier.

As for the mental health argument, well I grew up in poverty, as did the vast majority of people I know. I don't know anyone who isn't mentally ill. I don't know anyone that hasn't had substance abuse problems. Most of us have been out here winging it with no help our whole lives because of the poverty. So yeah.....

No, that's what I was saying, that money makes it easier but that it's more that it helps things from spinning out of control.

We don't really disagree. My initial point was that it's not absolute poverty which is a prime indicator of mental illness but relative poverty.

Also one must remember that genetic predisposition to mental illness is likely to predispose one to poverty.

Basically the butt hurt about being poor is actually more harmful than the poverty itself. It's largely due to our incredible incredibly unequal society that affective disorders are so common in those lower down the socio-economic hierarchy. Imo.

You said yourself that he isn't a prick or a brat about it so no need to hate on the guy.

It bothers me more when someone with clearly privileged background pulls out the "we didn't have a lot of money when I was growing up".

No, that's what I was saying, that money makes it easier but that it's more that it helps things from spinning out of control.

We don't really disagree. My initial point was that it's not absolute poverty which is a prime indicator of mental illness but relative poverty.

Also one must remember that genetic predisposition to mental illness is likely to predispose one to poverty.

Basically the butt hurt about being poor is actually more harmful than the poverty itself. It's largely due to our incredible incredibly unequal society that affective disorders are so common in those lower down the socio-economic hierarchy. Imo.

Fair enough I don't think we disagree either. Didn't mean to downplay her mental illness btw. I realize it probably came off that way. It's a horrible sickness no matter your financial status.

I try not to but sometimes it happens.

I'm not broke but I'm not "balling" where I can make extravagant purchases every week but...

I have a friend who works and lives rent free including meals as he lives with his cousin who supports him... He's my age and always wants to go out. I was considering buying a full-exuasht system for my bike but held off because I didn't wanna spend $600+ and he asked where my money goes. I kind of spazzed out on him and said "Are you serious? I pay a mortgage, I have 2 cars, 2 motorcycles, I pay Water, sewer, trash, power, and gas. I buy my own fricken food for christ sakes. If I lived rent free I can make Ferrari payments."

He shut the hell up butI felt like a whiner.

If they act spoiled... absolutely... if they dont, then good for them.

my parents grew up poor and made themselves successful, I'm gracious for anything they give me, and I have always hated anyone spoiled and felt entitled or better than others (also you don't have to have wealthy parents to be spoiled), but anyway I never have expected things or felt entitled to them and I hope my children are the same way if I decide to have them

I try not to but sometimes it happens.

I'm not broke but I'm not "balling" where I can make extravagant purchases every week but...

I have a friend who works and lives rent free including meals as he lives with his cousin who supports him... He's my age and always wants to go out. I was considering buying a full-exuasht system for my bike but held off because I didn't wanna spend $600+ and he asked where my money goes. I kind of spazzed out on him and said "Are you serious? I pay a mortgage, I have 2 cars, 2 motorcycles, I pay Water, sewer, trash, power, and gas. I buy my own fricken food for christ sakes. If I lived rent free I can make Ferrari payments."

He shut the hell up butI felt like a whiner.

You sound middle-classed.

I have no issues with rich folk doing rich folk stuff. Jealousy is a pretty vicious emotion and to me is far worse than some guy driving a nice car.

What I don't like is rich parents empowering their kids to think they're better than others because they're more well off financially.

When I went back to school at 30 I had met a 21 year old kid who was the son of a rich millionaire. His dad sent him to montreal, bought him a condo, bought him a Mercedes to get around, and paid for all his bills plus a 5 thousand dollar monthly allowance. The kid was like a lost puppy. Didn't know his place in the world. He had difficulties making friends. He would just go to his rooftop and smoke weed. The kids looked mistake and I felt bad for him. I took him under my wing a bit and he is doing better now.

But no, I don't resent those with more money than me

Be honest, bro, this is a safe place: you just wanted free weed, didn't you?

Back