Do you have to be a badass to wear this type of Gi?

be careful about wearing gis that are too gaudy. Some competitions only allow white and blue. Black and red are sometimes not accepted, don't ask me why.

i am still wearing my pile of shit karate gi from days of old. Ive been doing bjj for about 3 months and I get far more shit for my gi than any of the white belts with sweet looking gis. (It's a major $ issue).

I am ordering a real gi online though. Maybe sirius. Atama, Koral, Keiko or Dragao if I pulled as much OT as I thought.

-Mr K

The only problem should be if your gi is (1) too small or (2) tearing all the time. (Assuming you clean it of course...) I'm surprised it hasn't ripped after 3 months of jits.

SmashiusClay said:
No, but you need to be a badass to look cool wearing it.
There it is!!!! I upgraded to my "badass" gi shortly after I recieved the Blue

only people at my school that wears a red or black is my bb instructor. The red one is hip looking though

I'm definately NOT a badass but I wear the blue Gameness gi pictured in the initial post. I'd read it was one of the best gi's for the money so I bought one. A few people at my club wear them as well. Some talented and experienced, some not. No biggie.

If you put a bunch of patches or try to wear a real fancy gi you had better be able to back it up.

Keonici said:
If you put a bunch of patches or try to wear a real fancy gi you had better be able to back it up.

In some cases though, the 'fancy' Gi happens to be the most practical. Gi matters as little as belt. It's just a "suit of handles" we put on so that people can grab us better. Big deal if it looks fancy as long as it gets the job done.

i wear my friggin crappy ASSSSSSSSSSS almost short sleeved shrinked gi most of th teim. its stiff as crap. im there to roll, not look cool.

but i really do need a new gi. does anyone know when the HELL REDnose will get their shit back?

b0b said:
My gi is the natural gi, the only one at the school. I got some shit at first, and some of the girls liked the tan color, but I paid $50 for a gi that is just as strong and durable as their flashy ones and don't really care. If I had the money, I would buy a red one.

As a joke, when I get ready to get rid of my old gi, I think I am going to cover as much of it as I can with patches, most of which will have nothing to do with BJJ.
Is that the HCK one? I have the natural color HCK and I used to get some flak for it.

no matter what anyone says... red gi's are reserved for black belts.

aka.. theyre the only ones that can rock one in my opinion. not that all black belts should wear a red gi.

hey i've got that gameness gi!! but then again i'm badass!!

JK, you should be able wear what the hell you want to on the mat. thats the difference between BJJ and other martal arts, its done in a more chilled out atmosphere.

I have two blue gis & one sexy red gi.
None of them have patches.
I like to think I'm a badass.

Nothing more badass than a plain, well worn out Gi

You have to of killed a person with your bare hands...otherwise the gi strangles you itself!

Get what ever gi you want, no one cares.. eveyrone knows when rookies sign up they want to Look cool and like a veteran, since you cant buy the skill, we all want to buy the best gi.......In the end what ever is the most comfortable prevails.

No one will care at all, if they do they are a viado anyways.

I must be alone here, but I think some of these exotic gis (red, army green, and even camo....I mean really, WTF?) look ridiculous. Besides, I think most of the tournaments only allow blue or white. Why bother with the fanciness?

I have a white HCK and a blue Koral. The white one has school patches (but ripped at last comp). I switch blue pants with white top and vise-versa.
I'm looking at a white Koral with the Koral patch on the front.
ps. I've been a blue belt for a year.

Don't know if it's just Jacare or what, but the red one looks cool.
I train with a kid, he's really laid back, that wears the red one. so we don't give him to much crap.
I train with a purple belt that has the army green one. but he kicks ass in class.

no biggy, we just tell them we are going to work them harder to break in their 'pretty gi'.

Back