Do you have a career?

Stayed on at school to get highers in Accounting and Finance, Maths, English and Economics. My application to University to study Economics and Law was successful and I deferred my entry for 12 months so I could work for a year and put some cash behind me.

I applied for a job as a trainee machine operator in a packaging factory and at my 2nd interview I was asked if I knew what CAD was. I told them I knew it stood for Computer Aided Design and I had a very brief exposure to it 4 years ago.

They put me in that role instead and I was trained up by the guy doing the job currently. A couple of months into the job he went to the Chess Olympiad in Armenia (true story) and I had to cope on my own for three weeks. You either sink or swim in those situations and I just happened to swim. When he came back he was moved into the internal sales office and I was left to run the design side myself.

I came to the conclusion I had no idea what I wanted to do as a career and was actually enjoying what I was doing. I didn't go to University and stuck at what I was doing. After 2.5 years I was approached by one of the biggest companies in that industry to work for them. I moved and I've been there nearly 14 years now.

They are creating a technical rep role for me now but I was getting frustrated at the time it was taking and the additional work I was taking on in the interim. I handed them a letter for a pay increase and they eventually got back to me with 10%, they also gave me an 8% bonus payment on my salary - so I can't really complain.

If I had went to Uni, done my degree and went into a field associated with it - I'm certain I would be on considerably more money than I'm on now, but I'm less certain I would be happier.

I'm a wild land firefighter. I absolutely love it! I take just a class and pass the test then come out at 2nd out of class of 35 in physical test.

Am hoping to go to Hot Shot or helitack in two years.

Couldn't be any happier with life!

I'm a wild land firefighter. I absolutely love it! I take just a class and pass the test then come out at 2nd out of class of 35 in physical test.

Am hoping to go to Hot Shot or helitack in two years.

Couldn't be any happier with life!

You essentially get paid top dollar to keep fit and hit the gym don't you?

Got a degree in Recreation Management just this summer. Got a Seasonal job for the BLM. My job literally consists of 80% driving around, if not more then that. I fucking love it.

I'll probably be a seasonal for a few more years. Shit could be another 6-8 years for all I know, but I don't really care. I'm going to try and get a different location each year. Shouldn't be too hard either. Once I get permanent for the government though, I am set. It's just 30 years and I get my pension and retire. Worst case scenario, I retire at age 60. I'd say that aint to bad a deal.

You gotta love the outdoors though. You can't want the city life although some locations are in or by cities. Luckily for me I love the outdoors, average size towns are just fine by me, and I love hunting. So the more remote the better. Oh, and I love to drive around which is a must or you would probably get extremely bored. My GS-12 supervisor said his whole career was probably 75% driving. Some Government jobs are such a waste lol. If you got one though, you would never complain. The office is so relaxed. Everyone is generally happy and no stress or tension. It's literally like we all know were getting paid for fucking off most of the time and no one is getting fired at anytime. There is really no need for the position I got.

You essentially get paid top dollar to keep fit and hit the gym don't you?

Kinda... Pay is really good consider I work only 5 to 7 months out of a year.
But as being in shape... They don't care what you do but they do expect you to pass physical test which get much harder when you go to elite interagency. So most guys do really bust their butt in the gym during off season just to ensure they can pass the physical fitness exam.

I'm a reporter for a major metro new york newspaper. Usually get a few bylines a week, which is cool.

Car sales. No experience needed, no college needed.
It is really easy to excel in considering 90% of salespeople are lazy. My first year I was second at my store making about $60k. After the first year it just gets easier, you start getting repeat and referral business as well as new customers and the money starts rolling in.
If you can get over the negative stereotype it is a very rewarding profession.

Lawyer. JD required. I'd been underemployed for years before landing my current 55 hour a week gig. My job is engaging and comes with a hefty price tag. I get to help people and make decent money. The day passes very quickly but at times it's a bit inhumane where I'll be eating lunch at 8 pm.

yes, i have a career, i have also switched careers about three times now

What areas do you practice in?

I mostly do workers comp, PI, and various tort claims.

Currently i run a 100% bankruptcy office
Before i was a solo gp doing anything, mostly landlord tenant, bankruptcy and traffic
Entertaining times, but too poor

Less of career and more of an agressive plan to get out of the mountain of debt I started creating 20 something years ago when I was trying to go out like a roman candle and therby not planning or being responsible with money.

Sometime next year I will become debt free for the first time since I was 17 and no longer a slave to some bank and system. At that point I can start back on the original quest that that got sidetracked at age 17 of trying to figure out who I am and why the hell I am here. It was sidetracked because I had to start doing what other people told me and living from other peoples schedules in order to pay bills.

I'll probably build a teepee on a high mountaintop somewhere and get Tomax to bring me supplies on occassion..

I came out of college about 2 years ago now. I am a young man, and have done 3 UNPAID internships in writing/marketing. I still can't get an entry level job, even with a degree from a respected university and 1.5 years office experience under my belt.

I came out of college about 2 years ago now. I am a young man, and have done 3 UNPAID internships in writing/marketing. I still can't get an entry level job, even with a degree from a respected university and 1.5 years office experience under my belt.

right now is really tough man. I came out of school (well dropped out of school) into the best job market in the history of mankind (Clinton had just got elected) -and I chose drugs and music instead lulz -so i had to play serious catchup after 10 years of that insanity.

My advice is go demand a job from someone in the sense that you don't make it about the pay or working conditions etc etc -go in and say I WANT TO GET MY FOOT IN THE DOOR and I will take your lowest paid position and in one year show you what Im worth I will will revisit my salary etc.

Not that this is you, but I interview college newbies all of the time and they mostly have this bullshit idea that they deserve and need all of these things and that employers are here to serve them. I say just get a paying position and make some sacrifices to prove yourself and make connections. However after 3 internships and a degree I would think that is an indication of how truely awful the climate is out there right now because you would think you know enough people now to leverage the experience. really sucks now.

I had this kid who came to me in 2003 after dropping out of highschool and said I'm motivated and a self starter -you need to hire me and I will prove this -so I hired him for next to nothing -he's now been working with me 10 years and makes about 7 times the money that I hired him for has an awesome job -all from just demanding that if I gave him a paying job he would deliver. Best hire I ever made.

by the way, a year after i hired him i forced him to go back and get his high school degree -so i changed his schedule around so he could do the study classes for a GED.:p I just figured he'd never get it unless he was still young and told him I would fire him if he didn't do it. Needless to say his mom really like me.

I work in IT support ... job is ok , a bit boring sometimes but damn the pay is good...
However i wish BJJ was my career tho. Eat , sleep , bjj = perfect life.

Less of career and more of an agressive plan to get out of the mountain of debt I started creating 20 something years ago when I was trying to go out like a roman candle and therby not planning or being responsible with money.

Sometime next year I will become debt free for the first time since I was 17 and no longer a slave to some bank and system. At that point I can start back on the original quest that that got sidetracked at age 17 of trying to figure out who I am and why the hell I am here. It was sidetracked because I had to start doing what other people told me and living from other peoples schedules in order to pay bills.

I'll probably build a teepee on a high mountaintop somewhere and get Tomax to bring me supplies on occassion..

Sounds awesome. You should head to India with Jon Brookins.

Back