Do you have a career?

i didnt have a career until i was 29(two years ago). I was unemployed and living with my oparents after having fallen on rough finanical times. Went to school for water science and after one semester i landed the first job in the field that i applied for as a maintenance worker for a large water district. Now I make real money, not great by any means, but enough to live and buy a house and raise a family eventually. Things like medical, dental for life and retirement are all great. Plus I love my job, I truly enjoy going to work every day. It has been a blessing especially considering the econmic times.

I have an inheritance coming.

I just have to share with the sis, but I can fix that.

seriously,

Right now I work in Property management. It is something I can continue, but I want to be my own boss eventually.

I work as a manager for a large privately owned specialty retail company. It's a surprisingly enjoyable and challenging job. I make good money, and there is room for advancement. I'm very happy...... most days.

Professional male hooker. Only offer service to super models though.

No, and I am trying to rectify that. I'm currently in university, and want to help people as a career.

A career as a police officer or paramedic really interests me, due to the direct impact and face-to-face interactions you would would have.

Last edited:
i didnt have a career until i was 29(two years ago). I was unemployed and living with my oparents after having fallen on rough finanical times. Went to school for water science and after one semester i landed the first job in the field that i applied for as a maintenance worker for a large water district. Now I make real money, not great by any means, but enough to live and buy a house and raise a family eventually. Things like medical, dental for life and retirement are all great. Plus I love my job, I truly enjoy going to work every day. It has been a blessing especially considering the econmic times.

I've thought about doing this...where did you go to school? Did you complete the degree or simply take the job and run.?

I've thought about doing this...where did you go to school? Did you complete the degree or simply take the job and run.?

i went to a community college in so cal near my home that offered the entire course which consists of about 14 classes. I am still going. Have my advanced water treatment class begining on jan 14th. the vast majority of employees take the job and run. Many got in by friend recomendation back when times were good. Now its a tough enviroment with hundreds of applicants and the education is much more stressed these days. 2 years in, and ialready have nearly the highest state grades in my crew of 12. I have every intention of maxing my grades and growing int he company. There is tons of opportunity for people driven to move up with dozens of positions existing at my company where you can make 6 figures. But if you want to just ride out doing maintenance work and climbing in and out of manholes, thats fine too. The money is not bad.

2 years actually isn't that bad, considering many people spend 6-10 years in school, doing programs that will only pay 50-65k starting. My buddy did 2 years at NAIT, doing electrical technology, he finished when he was 20, and has been working ever since. Now he is a project manager at 28, making 75k. These 2 year programs in petroleum, mining, mechanical, civil, IT, accounting, etc.. are very very useful.

O you are right for what you get two years is nothing but I mean u can do 2 or 3 week course and make plenty of money and keep adding on courses.
what I do is a 40 hour course. Take advantage of overtime and you can easily make good money.

I'm a middle school phys-ed teacher.

Great benefits, good enough pay and I basically get to be a "big kid" all day.

Jobs are starting to become more and more available in Alberta too. Its not as tough to find a teaching job as it was a few years back, though lots still have to sub for a while/go rural(mainly north) to find a job.

HVAC Design Consultant here. Fancy title for a sales man honestly and I love my job. Usually takes me about 2.5 hours to sell a job. The lowest I've made on a sale was about $200 and the highest was $3500. My average is about $800 per job, so as far as an hourly wage goes I make an astronomical amount, but I usually do 2-3 sales a day and I have a 60% close rate during slow months or as high as 90% during good months. I make anywhere from 10k to 30k a month.

I didn't go to college (even dropped out of high school lol) but my company invested about 10k in me worth of training once I had already shown them that I had potential. Right now I'm working on a sales system for residential fireplaces and a separate system for water heaters that I will have done by new years day. I should be able to make even more at that point and eventually I'll sale the system to other companies. Hopefully at some point I'll manage the sales department of the company I currently work for and work as a sales consultant for companies that want to grow their HVAC department.

Get yourself to SAIT. 2 year program and then you'll be out and in a career.

Lots in the oil/gas industry like another poster said. I did 2 years at nait and have been working in engineering consultant offices since '95. Do I enjoy it? Most of the times no, but I enjoy the paycheck.

Or watch fubar 2. Head north and work the rigs.

SAIT is definitely happening. I'm just trying to figure out what for. What's bothering me is how I'm going to get a loan. I have poor credit and on top of that Ive had a run in with the law that has already kept me from other jobs.

Last edited:
Im an auto wholesaler. I buy cars in bulk from auctions, fleet companies, rental companies, dealer trades and sell them to stores to be used as used car inventory. I love it, but its hardcore sales and not for everyone.

Im an auto wholesaler. I buy cars in bulk from auctions, fleet companies, rental companies, dealer trades and sell them to stores to be used as used car inventory. I love it, but its hardcore sales and not for everyone.

I bet you make a killing.

SAIT is definitely happening. I'm just trying to figure out what for. What's bothering me is how I'm going to get a loan. I have poor credit and on top of that Ive had a run in with the law that has already kept me from other jobs.

Student loan?

I write books. Luckily, people buy them.

Back