Do you have a career?

I'm a data scientist (a mix of computer scientist, statistician, and business analyst) for a Fortune 200 company. Had to get my MBA to get the job. It's pretty good on the whole, the work is often very interesting and the money's good, though I do have A LOT of student loans to pay back. Hopefully there are opportunities for advancement, but I'm not sure what direction that would be in since it's such a specialized field.

is this like data analytics? I am looking to possibly do my MS in data analytics and were curious about people in the fields thoughts about it.

as for me, chemical engineer, graduated in june. working in a management development program in the flavors and fragrances business. So far in my first 6 months, it has been mainly project and process work with some management training as well. I enjoy it and get paid pretty decently.

Correction Officer. I have an AA degree in Human Services. I love it, it keeps me on my toes. I love the schedules I get, which allow me to be stress free and give plenty of time for the personal life.

I should mention that if you like computers, learning to program is pretty valuable. My company can't ever keep up with demand for Java programmers, or database analysts either (if anyone on here has Teradata experience and wants to live in Denver, PM me. Seriously). It can be a tough gig (long hours at times, a lot of pressure) but it pays well and the busy spells typically alternate with more relaxed periods.

Recruitment

Boring but money is very good and it's easy to do/learn

is this like data analytics? I am looking to possibly do my MS in data analytics and were curious about people in the fields thoughts about it.

as for me, chemical engineer, graduated in june. working in a management development program in the flavors and fragrances business. So far in my first 6 months, it has been mainly project and process work with some management training as well. I enjoy it and get paid pretty decently.

Yes, analytics. I spend a lot of time working on marketing models (who to target for various campaigns), and supervising IT work surrounding data capture and storage. It's very interesting work, highly in demand, and engineering is a pretty good background because you're probably already pretty math and computer literate. If you can program in any language that's a plus as well, as is experience using SAS, SPSS, or R. Pay for data scientists (outside of finance) seems to be ~$100K a year. A lot of trained physicists and biostatisticians.

Welding you say. I am going to look into that.

You live in Calgary man opportunity is huge in Alberta do some research on some trades and oil related jobs tons of money to be made.
I am a certified exposure device operator its not bad pretty much on type of ndt is a good trade its not that hard and you can get work very easy.

Yes, analytics. I spend a lot of time working on marketing models (who to target for various campaigns), and supervising IT work surrounding data capture and storage. It's very interesting work, highly in demand, and engineering is a pretty good background because you're probably already pretty math and computer literate. If you can program in any language that's a plus as well, as is experience using SAS, SPSS, or R. Pay for data scientists (outside of finance) seems to be ~$100K a year. A lot of trained physicists and biostatisticians.

sounds awesome. i am great at math and am computer literate. but am fucking clueless when it comes to programming. that has been my one deterrent from not being fully ready to commit to Data Analytics.

if I knew the stuff you were talking about, I would absolutely love to live in denver lol.

Yes.

Without my career, my hobbies, and my friendships I wouldn't have the same confidence as a man.

No problem man. Just remember you can pretty much learn any job right off the street. Degrees are mostly BS and are just there to tell the company that you put in the effort to get there. Most of what you learn in school isn't used on the job, it's just there to help you learn quicker. Apprenticeships are a good way to make money without going to school. There are tons of fields in it whether its welding, electrical, plumbing, pipe fitting, carpentry etc. Find the one that pays the most and seems like it would suck the least and go for it. Electrical companies pay out the ass for guys that can climb poles. Climbers start at like $40/hr and they run you through school on their dime. If you are tough and have the balls, go for it.

When I started my first electronics job, the guy training me was giving me a ton of crap because I was so green. I was fumbling with soldering irons and drills and all that. I just didn't have any experience. He blew up on me one day for being worthless and I went and sat in my car for a half hour, contemplating whether I should quit or not. Luckily I convinced myself that he was just some grumpy old asshole and I went back in there and a couple months later I was as productive as he was. Everyone has to start somewhere.

When you get to work, spend 90% of your time listening and 10% of your time talking. If you are talking, you aren't learning.

Seriously well said man. I'm chock full o' degrees, but I only really use a fraction of it in my actual job. It's more just to show you've got the academic chops and are part of the guild. Listening and not being a huge asshole go a long way towards career success.

sounds awesome. i am great at math and am computer literate. but am fucking clueless when it comes to programming. that has been my one deterrent from not being fully ready to commit to Data Analytics.

if I knew the stuff you were talking about, I would absolutely love to live in denver lol.

The programming part is the easiest to learn, I've picked up most of what I know in the 6 months since I started (and it's not like you're writing huge applications). You really need a decent understanding of SQL, and the ability to use commercial stats software (SAS or SPSS, usually) to create models. Usually those have a robust GUI interface that eliminates a lot of the need for programming expertise. The key is to understand when various modeling techniques are appropriate, be able to get the data you need in the form you need from multiple sources and combine it as needed (the hard, time consuming part), and communicate both the utility and limits of your models to executives. If you have a good understanding of calculus and linear algebra and understand more or less how businesses operate and make money, you could probably learn most of what you needed to know in a year or so.

The hardest part of starting a career is knowing where to work.

It's tough to get hired, but check out your local railroad, gas and/or electric companies etc. Check local unions. There are apprenticeships out there that will pay you to learn and in 5 years you are making around $30 an hour. You just have to figure out how to get started.

I say try getting into an electrical apprenticeship. Electrical is extremely simple and most people are afraid of it because it's dangerous. That's why it pays a lot.

Exactly what I'm doing. Started this past Monday with a company. Was told if I can handle 3 months of grunt work they'll put me through the apprenticeship program. Currently spending my days running pipe at a constuction site to and from electrical boxes. I'm outside all day, it's not back breaking work. people I work with are great, pay is 17 an hour at the moment and I'm told it'll increase after the first 3 months.

A couple of days ago this thread popped up, and I said that we would probably see this thread again in a couple of weeks, but it only took around 4 days lol. So now I will adjust my prediction, and say that this thread pops up once a week.

I'm an attorney.

Obviously, I had to attend law school first.

I enjoy my work so far.

Get yourself to SAIT. 2 year program and then you'll be out and in a career.

Lots in the oil/gas industry like another poster said. I did 2 years at nait and have been working in engineering consultant offices since '95. Do I enjoy it? Most of the times no, but I enjoy the paycheck.

Or watch fubar 2. Head north and work the rigs.

nah, i really don't.

i've been working in i.t. my entire life, and i'm starting to get sick of it.

i want to work in viticulture, and i've been doing my own studying on the side. though the thing that scares me, is pursuing it and not making enough money. it's great to do what you love. but you also need to pay the bills and live a somewhat comfortable life.

Get yourself to SAIT. 2 year program and then you'll be out and in a career.

Lots in the oil/gas industry like another poster said. I did 2 years at nait and have been working in engineering consultant offices since '95. Do I enjoy it? Most of the times no, but I enjoy the paycheck.

Or watch fubar 2. Head north and work the rigs.

Listen to this man. Two years seems long but I'm sure you can find whatever you want at SAIT

Yes i do, but its barely a step up from just having a job but i am content with it
Im a welder at john deere a local UAW union member i think most ppl dont consider manufacturing welding as a "career" but i enjoy my job it has great benefits and the pays decent 65K+ a year and honestly im happy to have this job, considering when i was young i didnt care and dropped out of school and was a real failure, but i got my shit strait went back to school and learned to weld and i think im making the best out of it not everyone can be a lawyer or a DR! lol

Listen to this man. Two years seems long but I'm sure you can find whatever you want at SAIT

2 years actually isn't that bad, considering many people spend 6-10 years in school, doing programs that will only pay 50-65k starting. My buddy did 2 years at NAIT, doing electrical technology, he finished when he was 20, and has been working ever since. Now he is a project manager at 28, making 75k. These 2 year programs in petroleum, mining, mechanical, civil, IT, accounting, etc.. are very very useful.

i work IT, doing support for various shit like windows and mac computers, blackberries, iphones, androids, printers, switches, and whatever else crap my manager caves to and dumps on me and my co-workers. i'd rather stick a needle in my eye tbh, but it pays the bills and i'm actually good at it (unlike most people i've come across in the field) and working the people i support.

Back