Do you agree with both Gus/Jones and Lawler/Condit decisions ?

yes.

but i disagree with the following.
- machida vs rua 1
- bj penn vs edgar 1
- gsp vs hendricks
- hendricks vs lawler 2

Jones - Gus I can see why Jones sneaked it even though he took a kicking.

Condit was robbed IMO. He clearly won 3 of the 4 rounds.

I agree with both decisions as well. Lawler wanted it more and his shots had more pop and he was moving forward.

What does that have to do with anything?

I thought both decisions were wrong. Gus and Jones was close but I've watched that fight a lot of times (it's a great fight) and I cannot see a good argument for Jones winning any of the first three rounds. He was outstruck in volume and quality (narrowly in both respects, but still 10-9's) in all three rounds. Round two was close enough that it could be called a draw if one were feeling generous to Jones, but he didn't win that round.

Condit/Lawler was less close. Lawler won rounds two and five, Condit won one and four - I think those rounds were fairly clear. Round three was a bit tighter, both men landed some decent strikes, neither was badly hurt but Condit landed far more and dictated much of the pace of the round. When he was aggressive in that round he landed - satisfying the 'effective aggression' criteria. There's no solid argument for Lawler winning the third round against Condit unless you give Lawler carryover credit for Diaz 1, 2, 5.

To me, I don't care about points. I think a decision should be based on what kind of shape the fighters were in at the end of the fight. Gus was a zombie. Condit was arguably saved by the bell. So I think both decisions worked out for the best.
Both guys were spent at the end of Condit/Lawler. They were in almost equal shape.

Jones finished strongly, he has the heart of a champ for sure. Striking was actually almost completely even in the fifth round of Gus/Jones except for Jones' partially landed flying knee and some other nice strikes in the dying second of the round.

Whatever you think of Jones, one must accept that his will to win is second to none. That he rallied like that at the end of the fight and then needed to go to hospital after the fight shows his ability to oush through pain and fatigue to finish like a champion. A shame his willpower seems limited to in-competition situations.

Condit and Gus won.

Gus rounds 1,2,3 and arguably 4. Although I scored round 4 for Jones, I find it weird that when Gus almost knocked Cormier out and had him even more hurt than he was in the round 4 against Jones, the judges gave the round to Cormier.

Kinda crazy that if one more of the judges gave round 3 (when the knockdown happened) to Gus, he would have been champion now.

if its any consolation-
Gus would have immediately lost the belt to Rumble and/or DC

an unbiased opinion is that Jones did enough to win.

The 5th round Gus was just surviving.

Both razor close fights. In those two fights i think the champion got it because of one moment in the fight : the elbow of jones and the flurry of Lawler in the last round.

Do you think the champs have not been beaten decisively ? Or do you think it was enough for the challengers to get the belt ?

Personnally, i think the decisions were right. You go sherdog

Gus got crushed

Gus X Jones was a draw
Condit got jerked by the judges and I look forward to seeing him try to defend his title against Maia at 202

The guys that won the 5th round, won the fight. I like that however I scored it Gus 48-47 and Condit 48-47

Gus V Jones - I feel Gus did more damage round 1 and therefore won 3 to 2.

Condit V Lawler - This fight is a strange one, I had Robbie winning, here is why:

Condit through 495 strikes and landed 176, he was missing a lot, and therefore was ineffective. Round 3 was the one to pick in this one,

Condit through 78 and landed 22
Robbie through 26 and landed 11

Even though Robbie landed half the strikes, he was way more accurate and efficient, also Condit was moving forward, and missing, which means it isn't counted as effective aggression.

According to the judging criteria:
The heavier striker who lands with efficiency, deserves more credit from the Judges than total
number landed.

. Effective Aggressiveness
1. This simply means who is moving forward and finding success.(scoring)
2. Throwing a strike moving backwards is not as effective as a strike thrown moving forward.
3. Throwing strikes and not landing is not effective aggressiveness.
4. Moving forward and getting struck is not effective aggressiveness.

Did not agree with Lawler/Condit.....its ok to land less if you are being the aggressor and pushing the action....but to me if you backing up most of the round while throwing and landing less without seriously hurting your opponent, you lose the round....

Jones/Gus i agreed with whole heartedly. I had it even going into the fifth round and jones managed to do less nothing than gus did....

Jones beat Gus clearly, without the emotions of it all.. it was not really close. 4-1 to Jones, but can be fair and say 3-2 to Jones.. thats being kind.

Condit beat Lawler 3-2 I think.. but it was very close.

Jones won, and Condit got robbed
Jones 2,4,5.

Don't remember how exactly I scored Condit/Lawler, just know I had Condit winning.

Jones beat Gus clearly, without the emotions of it all.. it was not really close. 4-1 to Jones, but can be fair and say 3-2 to Jones.. thats being kind.

Condit beat Lawler 3-2 I think.. but it was very close.

I agree with this.

Condit fight was close though, I thought he won but not upset at the direction it went.

I had Condit winning rounds 1 and 4 and Robbie 2 and 3 clearly. you could argue about the 5th but i think Robbie's heavy bombs earned him the fight.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back