Do Any of You Do Nothing at Work?

I started a new job a while back. My old job was fairly busy. This job is very different. I’ll be given one task that takes two hours for the whole day. Then when I report back, nothing.

I just sit in front of the computer.

It sucks and I hope it picks up.
Very little till recently, they're doing a trial of people coming back into the office and I've been bricking it the last couple of days because I'm a bit of a luddite and I don't understand the system properly being I had to miss two training sessions.

But mainly, fuck all. Been here 3 months, just fuck around on Sherdog and chat to a few colleagues I get on well with, do bobbins Covid screening and sit on my ass.

I used to work for the government, so yeah. I could get an entire day's worth of work done in under an hour so I ended up doing a whole bunch of training & certification which was all paid for by the employer's education & training programs. There's only so much farting around I can do in a day on the work computers so I had to find something else to do.

These days I wish I had spare time. Work went bonkers after covid hit and it's only recently started to settle back down to normal.

I started a new job a while back. My old job was fairly busy. This job is very different. I’ll be given one task that takes two hours for the whole day. Then when I report back, nothing.

Take this time to enjoy the fall. Go out, take up sports. Do it while you can. I'm in the same boat. I even took 2 jobs to fill the time. Both have not much work. I'm enjoying playing with my kids and going out as much as possible. A time will come when i can't do that anymore.

A guy I know has a job like that. His work would only take a few hours a week typically to do. The other time was spent reading, researching material that wasn't doing to be used, but he did to use up time. Eventually he discovered the company sponsored workers education. So after that much of his time was spent obtaining more University degrees.

I work all over the place. Most weeks it's about 7 hours a day, but it's like 4 to 5 hours during the day and another 2 hours or so at night. Also, on the weekends, I usually do a few hours. Some weeks I do get slammed working a lot more.

I like it spread out like that though.

When everything is in time, on budget and smooth i'm the least busy guy at work..

When it's not i'm the most busy..

I would say conservatively right now in our current climate I work about 5 hours a week at home and get paid for a full week plus a guaranteed bonus every month. I have to say I am enjoying it.

Currently? Definitely not.
I've had jobs where I've felt like I have nothing to do. But it always turned out that I just didn't know what I was supposed to be doing. So, uh, if you feel you don't have anything to do TS, you may want to be a bit careful.

I'm security so my job depends on customer flow. Sometimes I do jack shit and read a ton or sometimes I work. Either option is fine with me as I like to read.

I had a job once that started off really great. Got to work on a bunch of servers and set them up. Then a new company took over and I essentially became a reboot monkey. This is what they call a person who gets up and reboots a server whenever a person comes in that's it. Occasionally I'd have to run a new cable to a new rack of servers but that's about it. I worked overnight but started sleeping about 5 hours there.

Eventually got a new job doing much more work but I still get about 3 hours of free time not including lunch.

haha, funny you make this thread. i too started a new job recently. it was tough at first, as you're learning some new stuff. but once i got the hang of this job, i was able to get the work done quickly, and now i have a lot more time to surf on sherdog. getting paid to post. not many better feelings haha!

I had a job once that started off really great. Got to work on a bunch of servers and set them up. Then a new company took over and I essentially became a reboot monkey. This is what they call a person who gets up and reboots a server whenever a person comes in that's it. Occasionally I'd have to run a new cable to a new rack of servers but that's about it. I worked overnight but started sleeping about 5 hours there.

Eventually got a new job doing much more work but I still get about 3 hours of free time not including lunch.

a guy i went to college with got a job like that right after we graduated. it was an overnight gig like yours. from 11-8, and the guy pretty much slept at work lol. the job was in the downtown area, and once after i had gotten out of the bars, i was pretty buzzed and knew i couldn't yet drive home. then i remembered that my buddy was working and wasn't too far away. it was like 1:30am, and i called him and he was asleep. i was like shit, hoping he'd wake up. he finally did, and told him i needed an area to hang out and sober up before driving. i walked to his work, and we watched a movie before i drove home lol.

a guy i went to college with got a job like that right after we graduated. it was an overnight gig like yours. from 11-8, and the guy pretty much slept at work lol. the job was in the downtown area, and once after i had gotten out of the bars, i was pretty buzzed and knew i couldn't yet drive home. then i remembered that my buddy was working and wasn't too far away. it was like 1:30am, and i called him and he was asleep. i was like shit, hoping he'd wake up. he finally did, and told him i needed an area to hang out and sober up before driving. i walked to his work, and we watched a movie before i drove home lol.

That's funny cause mine was located right in downtown also. We had this club that was right next to us that was of the "urban" demographic and I would always try and look out the window at 2am because there was always a chance some shit was going to go down. One time I even heard a gun go off and people started running like crazy. After that they started brining in cops with horses every night when it was about to close. It was hilarious watching the cops tell people to get off the street and using the horses to bump into them to get them to listen.

That's funny cause mine was located right in downtown also. We had this club that was right next to us that was of the "urban" demographic and I would always try and look out the window at 2am because there was always a chance some shit was going to go down. One time I even heard a gun go off and people started running like crazy. After that they started brining in cops with horses every night when it was about to close. It was hilarious watching the cops tell people to get off the street and using the horses to bump into them to get them to listen.

damn, that must have been a pain in the ass for those cops. trying to control people with horses lol.

damn, that must have been a pain in the ass for those cops. trying to control people with horses lol.

Nah they actually made it look effortless. People didn't want to listen to the cops but no one wanted to be pushed around by a horses ass. They would literally swing these horses asses around pushing people it was crazy to watch. Everyone would see it happening and start rushing back onto the sidewalk especially the females.

I've been in long enough to have earned my tax payer funded sherdog, ebay, Wikipedia, and Amazon time

No I work my ass off. A lot of my co-workers do as little as possible though, I can tell you that.

Back