Do Any of You Do Nothing at Work?

O

Overtures

I started a new job a while back. My old job was fairly busy. This job is very different. I’ll be given one task that takes two hours for the whole day. Then when I report back, nothing.

I just sit in front of the computer.

It sucks and I hope it picks up.

I dont do shit most of the time but I work in a factory with no one over me so Im free to roam around and talk to people, pitch woo to the few hot chicks that work there, go outside and feed the animals that live in the field or just sit in the sun and work on my tan
When I do have to do some work, its in extreme heat and filthy conditions but all the relaxing free time I have is a great bonus

Im having a dispute with my employers right now. They just tried to change my shift to 10.5 hours 5 days a week. I told them no, I'm not doing that.

I’ve got some days when there isn’t much going on and others where I literally don’t stop and I go home exhausted.

I had been busy for literally like 10 years straight at my job until Covid hit. I work in tourism/transportation and my industry has been absolutely devastated. My entire staff has been laid off all year, and I was part time until recently being brought back full time, and it's been very slow. Just 1 year ago I had a staff of 5 and all of use were busy most of the time. Now it's just me and sometimes it's been hard to keep busy.

I work a 14 days on (10+ hour days) 7 day off shift. Over the course of those 14 days, it can vary greatly from day to day, but generally we're always steady if not downright busy. That being said, last shift it was what I'd call 'busy' for 3 of the 14 days. The other 11, it was a mental struggle to get through them due to being bored out of my mind. I'd rather be running my ass off to make the days go by 'faster'.

I work for a Tier 1 auto supplier so all of our output is JIT/JIS (Just in time/Just in sequence) so we're always balls to the wall. I enjoy the controlled chaos.

I used to watch TV and watch all of these people in the office slacking or sleeping, etc. Meanwhile I worked these hard, blue collar jobs and wondered "wtf jobs are those? I want one!"

My job is school based. During the fall we get SLAMMED! But in between programs it eases up a bit and during summer time there's almost nothing to do sometimes. This is the closest we get to "doing nothing".

But don't let it make you bored, be wise about it. Think about it, you have free time and you're working. I'd do surveys to make money while I'd make money. <{outtahere}>

Learn a new skill or something. Make use of the time many wish they had.

At the moment my work is very quiet due to covid as we don't have any customers coming in and I can't really push people to do very much.

But I've always got Sherdog.

A teacher at uni described his time working for UEFA in their communications department. He got fed up with the work and wanted to get his MBA and do a start-up to sell big. So during his last 6 months at UEFA, he wanted to know how little work he could do in a week before he got warned.

He found out about 2 hours a week. The rest of the time he watches YoutTube or talked on his phone or used the sports facilities. He finally got told something 4 months in and then he decided to just respond to emails with something like "I will get back to you shortly because I am slammed" Funny no deadlines were missed. The point was that his job was not that important.

My roommate just left the same company we worked for because he got past over for a promotion. He then got a job at a smaller company, they were so impressed with his skills they offered him a salary that is higher than 75% of the digital community in Spain. About 2 weeks in he saw how behind his current company was at the time. And he managed to get a promotion just two months in with a 25% bump. He mainly watches Netflix and does two calls a day since we are working from home in Spain. Why because this company did not know what they really needed. He got so well trained by us but he was really just below a manager level when he was with us but for his new company he is god. And I laugh saying "man they paid you X for a job an intern at your old company can do" and he said they do not know what data scientist means.

Sometimes having nothing to do at work sucks other times it is the dream. My roommate is now currently just trying to build up a his new gym brand clothing line. While still getting a paycheck most people in Spain will not get in their professional career.

Last edited:
My offices are starting to shut down and go into hibernation mode due to the uptick of Covid cases in our state..

So starting Thursday I will be working from home again for the foreseeable future..

I see a lot of boredom in the next few weeks, I only lasted about a week and a half last time before I started going crazy..

I used to have a hotel booking business and had 2 staff working off peak hours. They were not trained or capable of doing anything over the phone, so their role was basically customer service via email and some basic operations stuff. They had fuck all work to do. Very cushy job, but the issue is I needed 24 hour coverage, so it made sense to plug gaps with low level talent to keep labor costs lower. Some shifts they would only need to send out 3-4 emails over 8 hours.

Had to fire them when covid killed the business though.

I have busy times during the year but in general I have a lot of free time at work. Yesterday all I did was post here and play games on my phone.

I used to watch TV and watch all of these people in the office slacking or sleeping, etc. Meanwhile I worked these hard, blue collar jobs and wondered "wtf jobs are those? I want one!"

My job is school based. During the fall we get SLAMMED! But in between programs it eases up a bit and during summer time there's almost nothing to do sometimes. This is the closest we get to "doing nothing".

But don't let it make you bored, be wise about it. Think about it, you have free time and you're working. I'd do surveys to make money while I'd make money. <{outtahere}>

Learn a new skill or something. Make use of the time many wish they had.

Are you a Master of the Custodial Arts..?

Hell fucking no. We have those people at my job though. The ones who do jack shit all day. I bust my ass every day. Because I have to pick up their fucking slack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back