Do Any of You Do Nothing at Work?

Security Officer here, pretty much "on call if anything happens"

ever since Covid started it feels like ive been working the slow weekends full time,
so yea im as close as you can get to "doing nothing"

Reactions: HHJ
Which job?
Farming?
Selling seed?
Tile and drainage work?
Trucking authority?

3rd shift at a jail. Nothing but bed checks every 30 mins or if you're in booking and no one comes in, you can sleep a whole 8 hour sleep cycle.

My work is project based so sometimes it's really busy and sometimes I sit at home with nothing to do for a week or two at a time. We get full bonus at 70% billable hours for a quarter and up to +20% bonus at 90% billable, but it's not really up to us which projects we get assigned.

Many days of only a 30 min lunch and no 15 min breaks
Occasionally easy days.

Last edited:
I started a new job a while back. My old job was fairly busy. This job is very different. I’ll be given one task that takes two hours for the whole day. Then when I report back, nothing.

I just sit in front of the computer.

It sucks and I hope it picks up.

And you don't just spend the rest of the day surfing the net?

I work for a Tier 1 auto supplier so all of our output is JIT/JIS (Just in time/Just in sequence) so we're always balls to the wall. I enjoy the controlled chaos.

Too often, with a slight change in demand JIT/JIS becomes JTL/OOO.

It's balls to the walls for me.
9 to 12 hour and nothing in between. Oh, maybe a 10 minutes lunch.

It's only been this way since the COVID hit. Food industry is getting hammered right now with work.

When I'm not doing somebody else's job since they are "sick", I am usually waiting for somebody else to do their fucking job so I can finish mine.

For a year I was paid to watch videos and surf the net.

I was literally forbidden to do any work, I practically begged to be given something to do.

Depends. I work at two different sites. One of them is def a do nothing but sit at the computer job. It can be awesome if you know how to amuse yourself. Its all up to you,bud. If you hate it,and your bored,figure it out.

At the other site i also sit at a computer all day,but there is alot of work at times,but it slows down. Theres probably 2 to 3 hours of the day where i literally have nothing to do. I love it.I treat the place like it is my home.

I busted my ass all day everyday. It got to the point that I was having anxiety attacks and shit. I realized something though, 2 of my co-workers literally worked like a quarter of the day. I'd walk into his office and he'd just be staring at a wall meditating or something. I stopped busting my ass when I realized it was just me. Now they resent me for it, but I don't care.

Back