Do Any Of Y'all Play In Pick Up Games Like This

Not since high school, I’m not looking to get a free concussion

I've played in games like that as a teen. Not the best idea looking back really. In the span of a few weeks, there was a broken arm and a guy got a one-inch gash over his eyebrow from my forehead as we collided heads both trying to make a tackle. Later on the basketball court, I overheard him and his crew discussing whether they should jump me or not as revenge, but the injured guy shrugged it off.

Football games like that are fun until the horrific injuries start.

Used to play on concrete. Shit was dumb as hell.

That looks like a normal Sunday afternoon game with friends. Nothing in that video is violent, imo.

ColdDesertedDowitcher-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
LANDRY-JONES-KO.gif

Actual football is far more violent.
That ain't shit.

Don't think I could do now but 10yrs ago I would have ran though all them.

In my 20’s I played in a Flag League that was about as physical as this, and sometimes after we’d play an extra game of tackle afterwards. That’s why my left shoulder now has a floating collar bone. Once I hit my 30’s, I realized it wasn’t worth the injury potential any more.

As I near 50 I can confidently say theses leagues are where all the high school and college has beens try to eke out a couple more years of glory days. Has zero to do with the love of the game and everything to do with making big hits and laying dudes out to fill that primal urge they still have. Some dudes I played with swore there were NFL scouts in the bushes looking to discover a hidden gem in the world of flag football.

There was one asshole in the league that got tossed because he loaded every stiff arm like a punch, and was open hand striking dudes in the face. And I witnessed some of the most devastating blind side blocks ever in these games. Yeah, definitely a league of assholes. I was one too for a hot minute, but it gets old quick. Especially if you start missing work, because of it.

Now with this Achilles tear, even my pick up Basketball days are done. Time to hang up anything team related, lol.

The kind of shit that escalates to you getting curb stomped while walking home alone afterschool. Hard pass. My friends and I didn't have the humor for this kind of thing growing up.
That's too bad, it was fun.

Back in the day
When I was a teenager

yeah, crazy to think. One of our end zones was the sidewalk and I’ve dived into it more than once.
I’d say about 70% had to get stitches at least once from those games. At least 2 broken collar bones that I can recall.

I remember vividly one of my friends being on the ugly side of a Hart Attack\
HartAttack.jpg
\
Legs got caught at the line and somebody just threw themselves like a missile at him (probably wasn’t a clothesline though).

A lot of us played hs football, too, so the tackles were legit.

That's got nothing on the Italian's version of football

I have no idea what the hell is happening there but it seems that there are guys being medically assisted, other guys are just mounted by their rivals, dudes casually swinging at eachothers, and the game is still on.

And then they go on disability...and burden tax payers with their useless, pathetic lives.

Nope. I'm not stupid. If I'm going to sacrifice my body, it's gotta be for cash.

That's stupid, dudes covered from head to toe in protective gear get fucked up all the time, let alone having none.

And yes, I know kids play this all the time, but middle schoolers tackling each other (which is still dangerous) is much different than grown men clothes lining each other.

Ill stick to playing stickball in the street, until some joker opens a fire hydrant and we all run and cool off, maybe get an Italian ice from the corner, then we break each other's stones metaphorically not literally. There's a mafia guy somewhere.

New Yawka?

I have no idea what the hell is happening there but it seems that there are guys being medically assisted, other guys are just mounted by their rivals, dudes casually swinging at eachothers, and the game is still on.

The game starts off with 27 men per side. To open up running lanes, a mass brawl erupts with the goal being to lay and pray opponents. From there it's just 50 straight minutes of Carnage..... No substitutions, no stopped clock. The tourney happens once per year and is between four teams from neighborhoods in Florence.

The game starts off with 27 men per side. To open up running lanes, a mass brawl erupts with the goal being to lay and pray opponents. From there it's just 50 straight minutes of Carnage..... No substitutions, no stopped clock. The tourney happens once per year and is between four teams from neighborhoods in Florence.
Holy shit that is hilarious dude. Thanks for the info.

Someone needs to make a Netflix documentary about it.

BTW. Italians can be crazy

Holy shit that is hilarious dude. Thanks for the info.

Someone needs to make a Netflix documentary about it.
Jon Fitch should try out for one of the teams.... He would be godlike to start the match.

Back