Disagree with pettis about wec vs ufc

I always felt the WEC fights were scrappier than the UFC 155er fights

Probably the smaller cage

I have noticed the WEC fights were better over all, I've wondered if it was the cage. I think the UFC cage is just too big for the smaller weight classes.

I'm not nitpicking the specifics I'm just stating facts. Pettis is comparing apples to oranges. I agree also Im surprised how well they are doing, but look who they are doing it to. The div is nowhere near what it use to be.

plz tell me, when was the UFC lw div in its prime? and then compare wins with both orgs...
stupid thread

Do you guys remember when Frankie caught all those kicks after they slammed into his midsection? Those should be worth the same as a TD imho.

If you are talking top 5 right now the WEC has 3 of the top 5. Bendo(the Champ), Pettis and Cowboy.

It wasn't suprising to me because I could see through the Zuffa marketing spin which continues to push the angle of the UFC being 'a step above' other orgs. As a fighter simply has minor league skills if they are outside the UFC. Sure it's good for hyping their product, but its BS, a myth. This spin manages to warp the weak of mind or ignorant.

It continues to be evident with Rogan pushing the company agenda every time Benson appears in the cage "educating" us all by offering up that Benson's improved leaps and bounds since joining the UFC - conincedentally since its become obvious he dominanting their talent.

No, any educated fan could have told you Henderson and his contempraries were UFC calibre, as are many fighters outside the org. Of course the UFC have more depth, but they don't have a monopoly on level of talent.

Hell, look at Brian Ebersole. Traditional ignorant UFC-only fans would have seen a guy like him as a "can", and had he not gotten an opportunity by coming in at short notice to face Lytle at UFC 127, people would still look at him that way. Now he's 4-1 in the UFC only dropping a short notice fight against James head on his way down to Lightweight.

It wasn't suprising to me because I could see through the Zuffa marketing spin which continues to push the angle of the UFC being 'a step above' other orgs. As a fighter simply has minor league skills if they are outside the UFC. Sure it's good for hyping their product, but its BS, a myth. This spin manages to warp the weak of mind or ignorant.

It continues to be evident with Rogan pushing the company agenda every time Benson appears in the cage "educating" us all by offering up that Benson's improved leaps and bounds since joining the UFC - conincedentally since its become obvious he dominanting their talent.

No, any educated fan could have told you Henderson and his contempraries were UFC calibre, as are many fighters outside the org.

But to be fair we have seen a lot of top talent outside the UFC come in and at best not do as well and at worst get completely owned...

Crocop comes to mind. I also thought Kid Yamamoto was going to make serious noise.

Im not saying youre wrong by any means, but i can see why some people believe it.

WEC guys are a force, they have proved to be just as good if not better than UFC fighters, they deserve such respect.

/thread

Let's also not forget pre-WEC not only were Jim Miller and G-sot top UFC LW contenders...So, so many felt these types would tool any of those inferior WEC guys. Siver became this top UFC LW contender for beating G-sot. LOL...So many people were way off.

Any big time WEC fan knew what was up from the beginning. It was awesome watching all that free exciting, elite MMA for those years. Suck some are lame UFC only types who had to hate and missed out.

Maynard lost to Edgar (featherweight). Actually, Frankie said he could make bantamweight, so Maynard lost to Edgar (bantamweight).

Is that how this works?

pettis and cerrone also said they could make FW.

Pettis was angry for not gettting title shot for long time though...

Lol Florian,Penn and this one guy TS you are talking about would lose to Pettis,Benson,Cerrone with Florian already losing to Aldo

Let's also not forget pre-WEC not only were Jim Miller and G-sot top UFC LW contenders...So, so many felt these types would tool any of those inferior WEC guys. Siver became this top UFC LW contender for beating G-sot. LOL...So many people were way off.

Any big time WEC fan knew what was up from the beginning. It was awesome watching all that free exciting, elite MMA for those years. Suck some are lame UFC only types who had to hate and missed out.

Truth. The guy is saying the lightweight division was elite before and yet g-sot was considered to be a darkhorse to win the title and Siver was a contender.

Siver dropped to FW after Cerrone put him away quickly. Guida dropped down after Bendo mauled him and he had that embarrassing fight with Maynard. Guida became a contender from beating Pettis. Lauzon was a fringe contender before Pettis KO'd him, since he beat Melvin. Miller vs Bendo was a important LW fight, Jim had won 7 in a row. Edgar dropped to LW after losing twice to Bendo. Those are 5 LW's who have lost steam because of WEC LW's.

My point is that the WEC guys have to do with the state of the division (pretty much everything since Gray has only won 1 fight after losing to Edgar), not that they benefited from it without doing anything.

Truth. The guy is saying the lightweight division was elite before and yet g-sot was considered to be a darkhorse to win the title and Siver was a contender.

Yeah apparently because Diego Sanchez won a close fight against Clay Guida and Pettis lost a close fight to Guida in his UFC debut Diego is super elite and that LW division was so much better. Apparently Sherk who had like one fight in the past few years in which he should've lost to Evan Dunham would beat the much younger, diverse and more active Cowboy or Pettis.

Or somehow he feels the division where Sherk vs Ken Flo & BJ penn-Joe Daddy Stevenson were title fights was way better then the WEC.

Nah got lucky to get two gift decisions.

Saying you are not a edgar fan then trying to tell people he won the first fight is completely contradictory.

Only the most delusional of edgar fans think he won the first one.

Ok Diego is back, sherk is coming back, I already said Maynard never left but hasn't faught any of those guys, and florian was still a top tier lw regardless If he lost those big fights. So until those guys get back I say pettis shouldn't say shit until he fights better guys in the division.

Dude you've been posting since 2006 and you spell fought as faught... how can we take anything else you say serious?

As far as Pettis not having quality wins, he has a win over the current champ and #1 LW, bro.

WEC has proven their top guys are legit. You're a fool ts, especially for thinking Edgar won the first fight. Or do you spell fight with an a too?

Edgar beat benson twice

Edgar lost to Penn in their initial fight. Was finished by Maynard in Maynard/Edgar 2. I've seen many fights stopped for far less than another beating Edgar suffered seconds in to their third fight.
Lost 2 straight to Henderson. Yep, Edgars a FW; maybe a BW soon.
The debate is skewed. They're all UFC Fighters, now.
Pettis should focus on beating Cowboy, and stop the conjecture paralells of WEC "greatness".
I like the three of them. However, Ben was not impressive in Ben/Frankie 2, Cerrone was woeful against Nate Diaz, and for obvious reasons, Pettis has the least to "crow" about in the UFC.
And yes, Gray Maynard is the 800 lb elephant in the room; even though he beats up on FWs.......... or BWs.

I have noticed the WEC fights were better over all, I've wondered if it was the cage. I think the UFC cage is just too big for the smaller weight classes.
You could have a valid point.
Too many escape routes in the Cavernous Octagon. It needs 25% less space.

Might have something to do with him being the last man to beat the current champ?

If he beats Cerrone his claim to the next shot will be undeniable, how anyone could possibly fail to realize that is fucking beyond me.
I agree. Although, aside from the nice finish of Lauzon, Pettis has looked lacklustre in the UFC, the Pettis win is a glaring credential that no other current Contender can claim.
Certainly Cerrone would need another HUGE win after Pettis, in order to deserve a Title Fight.

I think the WEC LW's are great and I'm glad they came to the UFC. The division will only get better when Aldo moves up and Diego, Gil, Alvarez join the division. I think Diego was really good at LW just not as good as Penn. BJ was a nightmare match up for Diego great TDD and good hands. Diego will mix it up with top LWs when he gets back and he will be a tough fight for anyone

Back