Television Did we reach the peak of TV when Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones were being broadcasted around the same time?

Did we reach the peak of TV when Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones were being shown at the same time?

• Total voters
first season was dope
then it went downhill
Oh, GTFO. Seasons 1-5 were spectacular. I highly enjoyed season 6, and mostly enjoyed season 7, too, even if it already started to compromise itself by playing to the crowd in the need to extract the big oohs and aahs for water cooler talk with every episode (especially in season 7).

Don't be silly and damn the whole show because of season 8. That's egregiously misguided revisionist criticism.

The golden age of TV series isn't an era, it's a quality bar. That top quality can be found all over the place, time-wise. Or if the golden age is an era, it started in 1998 with OZ, & we're still in it. And even before that, there are some series going way back in history that stand up. The peak of the genre gets touched all over the timeline, new series & old.

No way. Either the 90s or early 2000s was the best. I liked GoT, but it wasn’t that great. Breaking Bad was boring as shit. I couldn’t get past the first episode.

I don't think that era was peak tv all over (networks were still weak and other cable channels had been past being decent) but it had BB, GoT, True Detective, Justified, and Fargo all going at roughly the same time for drama tv on cable which was probably the last great era for dramatic shows. Plus you had The Killing, Bates Motel, Hannibal, and the earlier seasons of The Walking Dead.
The era of peak comedy tv on cable was earlier, but still during this time you had South Park, Always Sunny, Parks and Rec, Workaholics, Archer, Silicon Valley, Bob's Burgers, Adult Swim was still good, early Brooklyn 99, and Portlandia, so things were solid there.

Cable has gotten so much worse since then ("let's show the same five shows over and over and over until we die off"), network tv is trash, and streaming is always a ton of shitty things with some gems here and there.

There are probably more good mini-series than multi season TV series these days. Too many of the latter are sci fi oriented.

Griselda (didn't watch) is also probably a good example of how TV is being affected by cultural factors these days. Compared to Narcos anyway.

GOT is for neckbeards and larpers
And breaking Bad was hella overrated, dropped off hard after initial seasons

Never was a fan of either series TBH, but I don’t watch much tv shows

The Wire still the GOAT

I’m in my 40’s

It was last gasp of a golden age in television that started at around 1995. Before those shows aired, you had an embarrassment of riches of quality television. Even the lowliest of HBO shows were pretty damn good, and you had a whole host of other networks like FX, Showtime, and AMC actually starting to compete with them. BB and GOT just continued the trend of excellent television.

@rivera it worth mentioning I was on Sherdog when Spartacus debuted, and after the first episode the consensus was - "Meh, kinda cheesy, but may watch more as a guilty pleasure" (Nudity & Violence).

By the 4th episode the consensus was - "Holy Shit, this is one of the absolute best shows on TV!"
They weren't wrong. Those first few episodes were ROUGH. I was cringe laughing at all the melodrama and slo-mo music video editing. It's practically a different show by the fourth episode. Like they rearranged some of the pieces of the puzzle and made it all work. I've never seen a show start out so badly and pull a 180 so quickly. I don't think it stands up against the real heavyweights of that time, but for what it is, it's damn good.

2003 imo

Sopranos
Oz
The Wire
NCIS
Reno 911
Arrested development

They have metrics for all these shows.
Before streaming took over, i would say the glory days of regular tv shows has passed me by. That’s just my interest in tv in general.
I waited all week for TGIF just to see Steve Urkle, Belky et al.

Not even close...

The Wire
The Shield
The Sopranos
Dexter
House
Friday Night Lights

They all overlapped eachother from like 2002-2009

Last edited:
Oh, GTFO. Seasons 1-5 were spectacular. I highly enjoyed season 6, and mostly enjoyed season 7, too, even if it already started to compromise itself by playing to the crowd in the need to extract the big oohs and aahs for water cooler talk with every episode (especially in season 7).

Don't be silly and damn the whole show because of season 8. That's egregiously misguided revisionist criticism.
Honestly I felt season 7 probably had more weakpoints just because it was clearly having to rush its plotting more leading to more leaps of logic/geography than previously.

One issue I think was that season 6 actually resolved a lot of the biggest dramatic plots on the show and I think after that the show runners seemed to be afraid of overstaying their welcome. I feel after that point they basically made the show to suit the character arcs more than the plot although I think were now seeing Martin himself likely has similar issues, hence the non finished books.

The big issue with season 8 I'd say as well is that it managed to piss off both sides when it came to partsian politics,
the bros were pissed at Ayra killing the Night King and the Libs were pissed at Danny going full extremist

Last edited:
Honestly I felt season 7 probably had more weakpoints just because it was clearly having to rush its plotting more leading to more leaps of logic/geography than previously.

One issue I think was that season 6 actually resolved a lot of the biggest dramatic plots on the show and I think after that the show runners seemed to be afraid of overstaying their welcome. I feel after that point they basically made the show to suit the character arcs more than the plot although I think were now seeing Martin himself likely has similar issues, hence the non finished books.

The big issue with season 8 I'd say as well is that it managed to piss off both sides when it came to partsian politics,
the bros were pissed at Ayra killing the Night King and the Libs were pissed at Danny going full extremist
The failure of season 8 had nothing to do with politics. It was shit writing, plain and simple.

Back