Television Did we reach the peak of TV when Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones were being broadcasted around the same time?

Did we reach the peak of TV when Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones were being shown at the same time?

• Total voters
I mean Breaking Bad flat out sucked.

tenor.gif

R.171faebd99288237d55df4b3b0eb0a6d

The last few years gave us plenty of good shows.
Ozark
Shogun
Last of Us
Blue Eye Samurai
Invincible
Succession
Marvelous Ms. Maisel
Slow Horses
Fargo
Barry

Never got around to watching Spartacus. How highly would you rate it?
Spartacus is awesome fun. The first season is fantastic with the perfect season ender. The CGI isn't great, but it's stylish and does enough to suspend disbelief.

Unfortunately the main character left the show due to health reasons and eventually passed away. The only positive of his health issues were that they delayed things and made a mini series prequel.

That helped flesh out characters and gave us a great new mainstay.

The problem with a lot of shows today, just like games, is the DEI bullshit plaguing so many. Forcing anything, let alone diversity and inclusion, is rarely going to benefit story and character development. Great entertainment has always been rare enough without studios worrying about their ESG scores.

There are still plenty of recent gems:

Severance, Andor, Silo, Shogun, House of Dragon etc...

There will be more to come as companies eventually move away from "woke" DEI nonsense. Shareholders will only tolerate losing so much money.

Last edited:
The golden age was when shows like The Wire and Lost came around. They ushered in a great run of shows that peaked with True Detective S01 imo. Then hipster culture became the thing and the quality dipped pretty hard with things like Game of Thrones and Stranger Things. Now it's all shit.

Nah I remember thinking Oz was one of the greatest shows ever when it aired

Rewatched it lately and it was corny and dated af, did not age well
I dunno. I still watch scenes from it quite regularly. The corniness was always intentional, sort of like, I dunno, as if Kenneth Anger and John Waters got together to make a musical about the prison system. That was the great thing about it - it was out loud and proud. Plus I've always liked the punk style of cinematography that comes from a shoestring budget and a young and hungry production company that's just throwing darts at a wall of ideas.

AMC had a really good thing going there in the 2010s. That is the biggest a cable channel ever got compared to the normal networks. Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, Mad Men, Better Call Saul.

Despite being the movie channels you can argue they ironically were a big part of why TV shows finally supplanted movies. I always get a big kick out of that. The channell that did that is literally owned by a fucking movie theater.

The reality is at this time cable cutting had already begun and ratings pools were beginning to shrink. So its hard to call it a golden age in that respect but quality and prestige wise it certainly was.

I think Game of Thrones is for nerds and I did not "get" it. The reason I know its for nerds is how GOTs fans kept insisting it wasn't just for nerds.

That may have been peak week to week excitement, or peak Cable ratings but not peak TV.

Game of Thrones turned out to be a bust. It's probably not a top 5 HBO show in terms of overall quality. Certainly Chernobyl, Band of Brothers, The Wire, The Sopranos, and Curb would generally be considered better overall shows by most. Barry was nominated for 44 emmy's in 4 seasons and they actually stuck the landing. HBO has done a bunch of great shows that didn't shit their pants 2/3 of the way through.

There's still a lot of good shows out there, but they are more spread out and HBO doesn't have a monopoly on quality television anymore.

Since then

Ozark
Black Bird
Better Call Saul
Chernobyl

All great shows
Black Bird was excellent. Time is another really great miniseries about prison.

God no. GoT's final couple seasons were awful.

The Sopranos & The Wire era >

This is the correct answer my first thoughts were peak TV was the wire and the sopranos soon as I saw the thread title.

I don't hate the plot points of the last seasons of got and if you watch it in a binge it's not quite as bad as it seemed but man the pacing is all fucked up and everything feels so rushed

You aren't one of those morons who didn't understand that Danny was the mad queen all along and were shocked by what she did are you? I was hip to the fact that she was going to do exactly what she did for a while and I new jon was not going to be king. I didn't see Brandon stark ending up king though. I was thinking it might end up Sansa or tyrian.

Game of thrones would be the unbeatable greatest show ever made if they had paced it correctly and had one more or 2 more seasons to flesh out all those plot points and let you feel and see the impacts of the events. . It's really a shame. It really did seem like it was the last time we as a nation all watched something.

This is the correct answer my first thoughts were peak TV was the wire and the sopranos soon as I saw the thread title.

I don't hate the plot points of the last seasons of got and if you watch it in a binge it's not quite as bad as it seemed but man the pacing is all fucked up and everything feels so rushed

You aren't one of those morons who didn't understand that Danny was the mad queen all along and were shocked by what she did are you? I was hip to the fact that she was going to do exactly what she did for a while and I new jon was not going to be king. I didn't see Brandon stark ending up king though. I was thinking it might end up Sansa or tyrian.

Game of thrones would be the unbeatable greatest show ever made if they had paced it correctly and had one more or 2 more seasons to flesh out all those plot points and let you feel and see the impacts of the events. . It's really a shame. It really did seem like it was the last time we as a nation all watched something.
I think its pretty simple with GoT. The show went off the rails when they went past the books. I understadn GRRM was involved but something just went wrong. Season 2 was my fav. Still rustled that the Imp beat Stannis.

I think its pretty simple with GoT. The show went off the rails when they went past the books. I understadn GRRM was involved but something just went wrong. Season 2 was my fav. Still rustled that the Imp beat Stannis.

The something that went wrong is that d and d wanted to move on, and as you said a lack of detailed source material. I think past jon snow getting killed all grrm left them to navigate with was bullet points. Been a while but I think that's where the last book left off.

Or TV shows going to get better?

It feels to me after Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones shows have now finished, that was the end of an era in terms of TV, perhaps the highest peak of quality television ended there.

I'm not saying there isn't good to great shows being released, but it feels the peak has ended. We're in a different phase now. Or am I mistaken?
I think the 90s was the last decade of good show as
2000s have/had great ones but not much anymore.

The 2000s were better than the 2010s

The Wire
The Sopranos
Rome
Deadwood
Band of Brothers
Oz
Mad Men
Dexter
Arrested Development
Lost
Firefly

Our entire tv system at work went down in the middle of the Breaking Bad Series finale episode and I thought people were going to start murdering us lmao.

2013 was the peak…. breaking bad and game of thrones were in their prime..

Back