Television Did we reach the peak of TV when Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones were being broadcasted around the same time?

Did we reach the peak of TV when Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones were being shown at the same time?

• Total voters
2014 had...

Black Sails (probably one of my all time favourites)
True Detective
GoT
The Walking Dead
Boardwalk Empire
Homeland
Peaky Blinders
Daredevil
Sons Of Anarchy
Shameless (US)
True Detective
Fargo
The Knick
Mad Men

Sons had pretty much shit the bed by then, and TWD was losing steam (imo), but for a single year not a bad lineup of shows.

2014 had...

True Detective
GoT
The Walking Dead
Boardwalk Empire
Homeland
Peaky Blinders
Daredevil
Sons Of Anarchy
Shameless (US)
True Detective
Fargo
The Knick
Mad Men

Sons had pretty much shit the bed by then, and TWD was losing steam (imo), but for a single year not a bad lineup of shows.
I almost never see Black Sails love. First season was aight but a little messy, after that it became incredible right through to the end.

This show in its prime
images

+

The Monday Night War
1709795558200.jpeg

2014 had...

True Detective
GoT
The Walking Dead
Boardwalk Empire
Homeland
Peaky Blinders
Daredevil
Sons Of Anarchy
Shameless (US)
True Detective
Fargo
The Knick
Mad Men

Black Sails was awesome!
This show in its prime
images

+

The Monday Night War
View attachment 1033172
This was that last period of time I watched live TV regularly. My roommates and I never missed Monday Night RAW, Southpark, and Deep Space 9. The Monday Night Wars period of wrestling were legendary.

I cut the cord around the mid to late 2000's. I always hated commercials, so getting to binge shows, commercial free, like BSG, the Office, the Wire, Sopranos etc... was glorious. It was either DVD rentals at Blockbuster, or fully buffering multiple episodes at a time on free streaming sites.

Lost could have been one of the GOATs with a bit better direction towards the end

True- we still troll my friends about geting 'Assavaded' (sp) if something goes off the rails, referring to when that cop captain gets mouth raped.
That was horrible. How honest The Shield portrayed that and the devastating effects on Azavedas mental health. . It made it all the more difficult to see how he betrayed Mackey later despite him saving him and keeping it under wraps. No matter how shitty some of the stuff was Mackey did it always felt like Azaveda was an ungrateful bitch.

The something that went wrong is that d and d wanted to move on, and as you said a lack of detailed source material. I think past jon snow getting killed all grrm left them to navigate with was bullet points. Been a while but I think that's where the last book left off.
I also saw an inte
That was horrible. How honest The Shield portrayed that and the devastating effects on Azavedas mental health. . It made it all the more difficult to see how he betrayed Mackey later despite him saving him and keeping it under wraps. No matter how shitty some of the stuff was Mackey did it always felt like Azaveda was an ungrateful bitch.
glad to know others are still troubled by that scene lol I think it was the choking and spitting of the dude's load at the end that made it too real

Lost could have been one of the GOATs with a bit better direction towards the end

In hindsight it could not have been because JJ Abrams was the director. He never had a plan for the ending and more importantly was very proud of not having a plan. I will never forget this motherfucker doing a ted talk talking about how not explaining things made him a visionary.

Nick at Night was a thing for a reason. TV was great for nearly half the last century. I'd argue 90s because you had Network still producing quality shows and you had HBO, 00s were decent but that's when Network started to decline. Now TV feels practically on life support.

Everyone raves about Breaking Bad, it’s never hooked me. I watch a few episodes and it’s just kinda meh.

I know that’s a super unpopular opinion.

Peak TV began with Manimal in 1983

and ended with V in 1984.

Yes, right around when those shows ended was when the golden age of television concluded. We've talked about this before on the board, and this only really applies to drama, or series from other genres that are more dramatic in tone. Not comedy/sitcoms.

Most attribute the start of the golden age to The Sopranos. It lasted roughly 15 years.

Back