Did The Mcgregor vs Mendes Fight Change Your Outlook On Aldo vs Mcgregor?

Do not rely on mma math man.

You may call it MMA Math, but the fact remains that Conor has been steamrolling whoever the UFC put in front of him, while Aldo barely managing to win via decision.

Frankie and Chad gave him hell. Conor will be too much for Aldo.

PLUS the Conor hating TROLLS still ignore 2 things:

1. Holloway had just as much reach and Conor schooled Holloway in the exact same fashion (hitting counters/making him miss etc)

Meanwhile when Jones fought someone who was just CLOSE in size to him he was tagged at will and battered. Thats getting exposed. Jones relies ON NOTHING BUT REACH and size.

With Conor its evident he actually has the skills and more. Good D is good D period, and Conor has great subtle D period.

2. Mendes is pound for pound the most explosive fighter in MMA. When you can close distance as fast as Mendes reach is negated...BUT not when going up against superior skills and timing...THE fact Conor was able to dictate, nullify, and easily beat Mendes best explosions with far superior timing is remarkable. Aldo in his wildest dreams couldnt dream of doing that to Mendes. And Its more proof to how Conor relies on nothing but pure skills and IQ to dominate

Conor is pure unadulterated skill and IQ

Yeah Holloway is a good example of that one guy being completely wrong about Conor relying on his reach for defense. Conor made it look simple against Holloway and Holloway is one of the best strikers in the division with good reach himself. His reach is listed at 70" and Conor has supposedly 74" but Conor is much wider in the chest and they measure across it so their reach was damn near the same if we go by these figures. I just told him that he's blinded by hatred because he is. You can't convince anybody like that of anything because they're delusional.

Another thing about these trolls and haters is that they'll give Aldo a pass and say that he only got busted up due to the takedown threat against Mendes in the rematch but with Conor they'll say he got hit a lot and pretend he wasn't facing that same takedown threat. :icon_lol: If anything, Aldo had to worry about it less because he's better of his back with his BJJ and always manages to get back to his feet through excellent scrambling. Conor had to worry about the TD threat more than Aldo and he had no problem avoiding most of Chad's biggest shots and smashing him in the standup.

Mendes can take nearly anyone down, but his top control is iffy at best. Having said that, he was still able to hold Connor down. With Aldo's ground game, Connor is fucked if it hits the deck.

EDIT: I just noticed that Aldo has a better TD success rate than Mendes by a fucking mile too. I didn't see that one coming.

Jose has some explosive takedowns just like the rest of his skill set. If I don't recall ever watching him not get the take down and in most case he quick mounts and controls his opponent.

People are acting like Jose is going to be trapped out there with no fire power lol

Connor doesn't have the experience and yes he has some holes.

maxresdefault.jpg

Chad Mendes rearranges Jose Aldo's facial structure, no one bats an eye.

Mendes lands a couple of punches on McGregor, and everyone loses their minds.

Ha! Good point.

maxresdefault.jpg

Chad Mendes rearranges Jose Aldo's facial structure, no one bats an eye.

Mendes lands a couple of punches on McGregor, and everyone loses their minds.

Wow guess you missed the massive split over connors eye and puffed up face in that 2 round fight?

Wow guess you missed the massive split over connors eye and puffed up face in that 2 round fight?

The cut was from an elbow on the ground. It was from GnP. Aldo's face looks like that purely from their standup war. McGregor's face wasn't even that puffed up like you're claiming it was. A lot of that GnP was throw away glancing stuff.

2e5b61a94c28a8ac47ca950efebf34f4_crop_north.jpg

a40a781c0c0cdafc2a61ab09d49adacc_crop_north.jpg

1414326810325_wps_28_RIO_DE_JANEIRO_BRAZIL_OCT.jpg

457871470.0.jpg

aldo-mendes-left-hook.jpg

Seriously...

But no, it didn't really change much. Aldo isn't Mendes, Conor isn't...IDK, another good striker for Aldo to outclass.

Conor has gotten hit hard by a few guys, Aldo has gotten hit by a few guys. But Aldo has faced by far the better competition.

Conor showed a big weakness in his wrestling, and Aldo can take advantage of that. Conor only has one way to win, while Aldo can mix it up with great takedowns, while also being the best FW striker as well. Aldo just has more ways to win.

Conor better hope his left straight works, because without that, he has nothing. Aldo can take him down, and Aldo has a much more diverse striking arsenal and has shown better defense against MANY championship level opponents.

But I'm so glad Conor has so many delusional fans...it's going to be great money to bet on Conor early while the odds are close.

Up, in general, and certainly striking wise. But I also started thinking grappling might actually play a point, which I hadn't bought until them.

Slightly up. I thought he'd win before, more convinced of it after seeing how uncomfortable Mendes was striking with McGregor compared to Aldo. Mendes did expose McGregor's TDD as merely solid instead of elite like Aldo's and that will get exposed down the line if he doesn't improve it, but I don't think Aldo is the guy to expose that TDD. I expect a striking battle, and McGregor will win it.

Frankie Edgar is the guy who could use what Chad did against Conor. He has a similar level of wrestling, only with better footwork and significantly better cardio. He also doesn't really take risks which is boring, but would mean he wouldn't have pulled what Mendes did in going for the guillotine. If I'm the UFC, I want Edgar kept very far away from McGregor. Make him go fight Dillashaw at 135, try and have Mendes fight him immediately and KO him. Offer him a title shot at 155 which is a pretty irrelevent title that can't sell at the moment anyways. Whatever it takes, he's a nightmare matchup for McGregor.

Mcgregor's chances up honestly, Aldo was getting dropped and shook by many of Chad's punches Conor walked through them all.

Think Conor will beat Aldo now.

obviously the ground game being the biggest question mark, i dont know how aldo simply ignores it

The same. Aldo isn't taking Conor down, he isn't anywhere near the wrestler that Mendes is despite people pretending that he is.

But I don't see Conor so easily catching Aldo on simple feints, nor do I see Aldo letting Conor go crazy on the kicks.

I think it showed:

The good
1. He's capable of stuffing at least some takedowns
2. He has a hell of a chin
3. He has enough ground skills to be able to spend minutes underneath one of the hardest-hitting and best wrestlers of the division in the middle of the octagon and not get close to being KO'd/TKO'd
4. He has some good scrambling or guillotine defense skills against a fighter from a camp known for guillotines
5. He doesn't stop going forward even when faced with adversity
The bad
1. He doesn't have great takedown defense, especially compared to Aldo
2. He wasn't able to get up from the takedowns every time
3. He wasn't able to contain Chad enough to stop him landing hard elbows

There's still obvious routes to victory for Aldo but I'm more confident in Conor now. I picked Aldo over Conor and more confidently picked Mendes over Conor, but now I favor Conor over Aldo.

I think they are about the same. He is more legit in my eyes but I still think Aldo takes it. I've noticed people seem to think that Aldo's only chance is on the feet. They're forgetting his 72% td accuracy and his sick bjj. If Aldo is on top like Mendes was he won't just sit in Conor's guard.

It took him 2 rounds to beat an out of shape Mendes. Not hating, not making excuses. It was a legit win no matter how you slice it but I don't think he finishes Aldo inside of 2 rounds. I don't think he finishes Aldo period but an in shape and motivated Aldo will last a lot longer than Mendes. I don't see Aldo getting picked apart on the feet. I don't see Conor winning on the ground.

It'll be competitive but now I have a better scope of Conor's skills and already have seen Aldo's. Comparatively speaking, Aldo has the advantage almost every where.

To quote Mendes, "Aldo is a different beast."

Mcgregor's chances up honestly, Aldo was getting dropped and shook by many of Chad's punches Conor walked through them all.

Think Conor will beat Aldo now.

Conor didnt "walk" through any of Mendes punches. Conor AVOIDED, delfected, parried, shoulder rolled, or rolled most of them.

Mendes did NOT land more then 2 clean shots on the feet against Conor across 2 rounds period (Mendes actually tagged Aldo more in 1 minute of 1 round)

Just go read the breakdown a couple pages back. "Mendes tagging Conor a lot" has turned into one of the biggest ugliest myths in MMA.

Conor has great under rated subtle D and takes great pride in it.

As memtioned Mendes ACTUALLY DID TAG ALDO AT WILL though

The double standards are insane

Mendes MANGLES Aldo's face = "what a warrior"

Yet some how Conor out classing Mendes while blocking or avoiding the vast majority of shots Mendes threw = "Ate shots. Relied on chin"

Its laughable. Its also sad to see that so many people are truly delusional or just have no idea what they are watching. That also segways perfectly into this post from the poster below

Jukai said:
The same. Aldo isn't taking Conor down, he isn't anywhere near the wrestler that Mendes is despite people pretending that he is.

But I don't see Conor so easily catching Aldo on simple feints, nor do I see Aldo letting Conor go crazy on the kicks.

You have no idea what youre watching. I bet you havent even seen many of Aldo's fights

Aldo has been badly prone to over reacting to fients or over comitting and getting badly countered. Its happened in literally MOST of all his UFC fights. Conor's lead hand game is going to wreck HAVOK on Aldo; dictate, disrupt, draw out, get to over commit etc. Conor is gonna have a field day capitalizing and timing Aldo

Last edited:
Yea, I learnt that it will now go to the 2nd round cause Conor has a chin.

I'm glad. more highlights.

Nope. I thought before, and still think now...that Conor will put a hurting on Aldo.

My outlook on Conor/Edgar and Conor/Mendes didn't change after Conor/Mendes either, I still think they are the obvious Conor-killers if such a thing exists currently.

Definitely up, would have had him as an underdog vs Aldo originally, now I'd make him slight favourite. He came out on top and showed he could weather the storm when getting taken down by the best wrestler in the division, showed great composure in how he didn't let those takedowns rattle him and finished him clinically. Bookies agree with me, Aldo was favourite before the Mendes fight but now they all make McGregor the favourite. Anyone who thinks his odds went down is a bit clueless to be honest.

Back