Did The Mcgregor vs Mendes Fight Change Your Outlook On Aldo vs Mcgregor?

Went up. Thought Mendes was a tougher fight than Aldo and he wrecked Mendes. Aldo is done. Conor is on another level.

Aldo is Conor toughest test. I can't wait to see what happens Conor will need to have his A game ready that night to win.

It sure did.

I went from "Aldo finishes this scrub in the first" to being like "This guy can do it. Here is a guy who can really beat Jose Aldo. If anyone can... this is the guy."

Mendes can take nearly anyone down, but his top control is iffy at best. Having said that, he was still able to hold Connor down. With Aldo's ground game, Connor is fucked if it hits the deck.

EDIT: I just noticed that Aldo has a better TD success rate than Mendes by a fucking mile too. I didn't see that one coming.

Stats like that come about by going for takedowns rarely, it hardly means Aldo would have greater success than Mendes implementing a TD based strategy.

Either way, we saw Conor come flying up whenever Mendes tried to leave his guard. And I can't imagine Aldo being content to stay there. Can you?

conors line is hard to bet on - i like the idea of betting with him as i feel its a bet with the ufc, at those odds, im not sure though

im going to bet con aldo via sub, however if conor ko's him i won't be surprised, he has an amazing chin and is a very dangerous striker

Definitely up, would have had him as an underdog vs Aldo originally, now I'd make him slight favourite. He came out on top and showed he could weather the storm when getting taken down by the best wrestler in the division, showed great composure in how he didn't let those takedowns rattle him and finished him clinically. Bookies agree with me, Aldo was favourite before the Mendes fight but now they all make McGregor the favourite. Anyone who thinks his odds went down is a bit clueless to be honest.

I don't know man. Mendes taking someone down is one thing, at that he is the best. But holding them down? Aldos ground game and grappling is miles above Mendes.
If it hits the mat Aldo will tool Conor. You can look at every example when Aldo takes anyone down and see how easy he just transitions wherever he wants.
Standing it will be a toss up, and Conor will have a good shot to win. But if it at any time hits the ground Conor will get smoked and out worked.
This isn't any disrespect to Conor or Mendes though. Aldo has trained BJJ on an elite level most of his life and has the best ground game in the division, just as Conor has the best boxing from training it all of his life.
The difference is that we don't see it very often, because he hasn't needed it. But I have no doubt he will push for the TD if he feels threatened.

On topic:
I don't think it changed the perception about how the fight will end vs. Aldo tbh. It made him out to be a very legit threat and that he could KO Aldo (just as I thought before), and showed that he can handle himself in every position. But in the end, MMAth is hard to apply and especially against an experienced champion that is good or excellent in every part of MMA.

Last edited:
No. Still got Conor.

If it changed anything is I think now that if Conor doenst improve his ground and TDD Aldo can win.

well, Aldo was my favorite and still is, but conor x mendes changed a bit my view on the how the fight will go.

conor showed a decent chin by absorbing some strong punches, i was not aware he had a chin. He also showed resiliency in being taken down at will but insisting on his gameplan. Congratz to him on that.

that said, I expected Aldo to KO/TKO Conor within the first 3 rounds. Now I see 50% chances of a sub happening, due to Conor's chin and will.

Up.

People are acting as if McGregor was taken down repeatedly by someone like Cub Swanson or Jeremy Stephens. He held his own on the ground against one of the best wrestlers in the UFC even if he didn't train wrestling. I don't think Aldo will be too much of a challenge in the wrestling department.

This fight will be a stand up war.

This fight will be a barn burner....can't wait!

Disagree with those who believe Connor didn't train wrestling for the best fighter in the world who has world class grappling and submissions. I also disagree that this will be a barn burner, stand up war, or make it out of the first.

If Aldo stands with McGregor, it will be close. I think McGregor may even edge the striking. But on the ground they are miles apart and Aldo knows this. I think we're going to see a very grappling-oriented Aldo for the first time in his UFC career. McGregor's defense has to extend beyond talking to Herb Dean. If Aldo wants to take him down, he will, and if he does, he's not going to give up a silly sub. Aldo will submit McGregor.

Definately.I was really scared for Aldo at first.

Now it's really not hard to pick the winner.I didn't expect McGregor to look that bad against a dude that didn't even train.

I was really starting to believe the hype before,even though i knew he hadn't faced anyone relevant.I think it's pretty clear that he has no chance at all against Aldo for those who watched the Mendes fight.

Up. One thing for sure in this fight that none of you slags can deny, is that Aldo WILL get hit, A LOT. I just don't think he'll be able to take it, Conor wins via dec. 49-46

Pretty much the same or slightly down. Don't expect the fight to take place on the ground so McGregor being taken down by Mendes doesn't mean much. One also needs to take into account that 1) he didn't have much time to prepare for a wrestler and 2) he was able to get up and defended most GNP.

Didn't like the fact that McGregor keeps his hands low and Mendes was able to land some hard punches on McGregor. Sooner or later I think we'll see McGregor being knocked out cold much like Silva against Weidman, question is if McGregor's chin can hold up as long as Big Nog's did or if it will deteriorate quicker.

I expect Aldo to win though I must say that I one one hand was impressed by McGregor but on the other hand also saw that his cockiness will likely lead to trouble sooner or later. Would be surprised if Aldo wins by KO or TKO as when he's fighting better competition he usually decisions fighters. Question is if Aldo's time off will affect his performance and he's only getting older so making that weight cut could be tricky and he might gas in the later rounds which opens up the possibility for McGregor to take the fight by TKO/KO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back