Did The Mcgregor vs Mendes Fight Change Your Outlook On Aldo vs Mcgregor?

Every round in their second fight was basically a toss up. I think Aldo was landing more strikes, but Mendes was landing the more damaging blows. Their level of striking is close enough. Mendes was getting destroyed against McGregor standing. That's not a good sign for Aldo.

that's simply not true. Like I said, Aldo/Mendes was a competitive fight, but the striking exchanges favored Aldo pretty much every time and Aldo was far closer to finishing the fight than Mendes ever was. Furthermore, McGregor was not destroying Mendes. Mendes landed quite a few power shots and was landing on conors porous defense. I'd definitely say McGregor won the standup, but dominated? nah.

Saying the rounds were a toss up is silly. THe concensus score was 49-46 Aldo, and I scored it 48-47 because I'm such a huge TAM fan.

furthermore, Aldo won the standup with Florian, a fighter of similar metrics to McGregor (roughly the same reach and height). Florian also had a more diverse usage of the jab, and used leg kicks and elbows more.

Every round in their second fight was basically a toss up. I think Aldo was landing more strikes, but Mendes was landing the more damaging blows. Their level of striking is close enough. Mendes was getting destroyed against McGregor standing. That's not a good sign for Aldo.

That fight wasn't a "toss up", it was competitive, yes. But Aldo won 4-1.

Every round of their fight was not a toss up. Plus, styles. McGregor has no threat of a takedown while Chad has the best takedowns at FW, that opens up the striking game for Chad immensely. Aldo's TDD is fantastic, but even just defending against the takedown opens him up to striking.

About the same. I figure he was gonna get taken down a few times vs mendes but still thought he would get back up and use his striking to smash mendes. Aldo should be very concerned, mcgregor is his toughest challenge.

konami code. worked on contra, gradius, and maybe some other konami made games.

Life Force Salamander, which I think was Gradius II.

Up. Conor showed a few things in that fight which we hadn't seen before: ability to execute a gameplan and play the long game (attacking Mendes' body to tire him out), great durability (was clipped by a very hard striker and looked unfazed), ability to cope with adversity and still remain calm, stick to the plan and get a great finish.

I'd considered this a very even fight, maybe juuuuuuuust favoured Conor before. Now I think he wins 7/10 times. He's better than I'd have believed he'd turn out to be.

Conor dropped down a notch. Great win against Mendes but Aldo is a different beast.

If it was to stay standing and Aldo for some reason didn't kick him repeatedly, my thoughts on Conor's chances go way up.

But realistically, they are just the same to me because Aldo isn't that stupid.

Furthermore, McGregor was not destroying Mendes. Mendes landed quite a few power shots and was landing on conors porous defense. I'd definitely say McGregor won the standup, but dominated? nah.

McGregor was destroying Mendes on the feet. Believe it. The footage clearly shows that happening. Conor's defense is far from "porous" as well. These power shots you think landed, most of them did not. And of course McGregor won the standup, he outstruck Chad by a large margin on the feet and knocked him out in the second round. He had him hurt in the first round with body kicks and staggered him where he nearly was dropped with his straight left.

I'll be linking some GIFs I made in slow motion to show you guys just how good McGregor's defense actually is. It's very good, in fact, it's certainly better than Aldo's. Aldo was getting caught a lot by the same counters and when Chad would explode in he was able to hit him, on one occasion two or three times in a row with the same punch which was a left hook.

I think Conor has a better chance now than I did before he fought Mendes. I'd say 50/50.

Conor is a hittable target for Aldo, but if Conor lights up the body and head with volume like he did against Mendes, it could go either way. Pick'em fight now.

that's simply not true. Like I said, Aldo/Mendes was a competitive fight, but the striking exchanges favored Aldo pretty much every time and Aldo was far closer to finishing the fight than Mendes ever was. Furthermore, McGregor was not destroying Mendes. Mendes landed quite a few power shots and was landing on conors porous defense. I'd definitely say McGregor won the standup, but dominated? nah.

Saying the rounds were a toss up is silly. THe concensus score was 49-46 Aldo, and I scored it 48-47 because I'm such a huge TAM fan.

furthermore, Aldo won the standup with Florian, a fighter of similar metrics to McGregor (roughly the same reach and height). Florian also had a more diverse usage of the jab, and used leg kicks and elbows more.

The rounds were extremely close and Aldo was probably slightly ahead. Let's also not forget the late hit after round 1. If that didnt happen, Mendes might have won the remaining rounds.

But enough about that fight. Mendes' striking is close enough to Aldo's to where it can be benchmarked for this fight. If anyone thinks otherwise, they are just being biased.

McGregor was destroying Mendes standing. He rocked him twice in the first round alone. And he only needed 30 seconds to KO him in the 2nd. Mendes landed some good strikes, but other than a few split second moments, he was getting killed standing.

I have no reason to think Aldo won't get outstruck by McGregor, seeing as how Mendes was easily outstruck. The McGregor/Mendes fight clearly improves McGregor's odds going into the Aldo fight. And every single betting website reflects this. Before Mendes/McGregor, the odds on the Aldo fight were close to dead even. Now McGregor is -175 on nearly all of the sites. It's been this way for several weeks now.

Vegas (plus competitive markets) >>>>> Sherdog

Such a different fight.

Mendes couldnt td Aldo, but was able to hit him, because the threat.
Mendes could td Conor, and also hit him, likely because the threat.

Aldo vs Conor, Aldo strikes with no td threat, Conor (shouldnt) doesnt.

Aldo imo still has a technical advantage, but Conor is a big bully, with a chin, and power.

Man, i really cant pick a winner.

as much as i hate to say it it went up for conor i would like to see him lose but i dont think aldo will win the fight

aldo hasnt fought since oct 2014 we all saw what happened to cain

my view towards chad also went down weather he gassed or conors stand up was killing him is not for me to decide but man he was physically done, at almost 40sec in he was breathing heavy from the mouth

and then that end with the failed sub and the last 30sec chad was just taking the shots with his hands down no attempt at defense or any defensive movement circle out or something kinda like the wiedman/beltor fight extremely disappointed with the fighters performance

The rounds were extremely close and Aldo probably slightly ahead. Let's also not forget the late hit after round 1. If that didnt happen, Mendes might have won the remaining rounds.

But enough about that fight. Mendes' striking is close enough to Aldo's to where it can be benchmarked for this fight. If anyone thinks otherwise, they are just being biased.

McGregor was destroying Mendes standing. He rocked him twice in the first round alone. And he only needed 30 seconds to KO him in the 2nd. Mendes landed some good strikes, but other than a few split second moments, he was getting killed standing.

I have no reason to think Aldo won't get outstruck by McGregor, seeing as how Mendes was easily outstruck. The McGregor/Mendes fight clearly improves McGregor's odds going into the Aldo fight. And every single betting website reflects this. Before
Mendes/McGregor, the odds on the Aldo fight were close to dead even. Now McGregor is -175 on nearly all of the sites. It's been this way for several weeks now.

Vegas (plus competitive markets) >>>>> Sherdog

Mendes looked like he was close to Aldo AND Conor in striking because of the td threat. Aldo wont have that, Conor still will kind of.

Was Chad landing clean and hard in all of these? You have to watch Conor's defense in slow motion or else you'll be misled into believing shots landed that simply didn't or didn't land cleanly at all. Here are most of Chad's "best" moments on the feet in their fight.

Chad lands clean and hard as Conor is scrambling back to an upright position with his back against the fence. Chad's follow up punch is caught in mid air and parried away. Rogan and fans think it lands because it looked like it may have due to Chad's hand speed. Rogan goes bananas of course.

Chad misses his overhand right, which lands on Conor's shoulder, and Conor actually clips Chad in the head around his temple as he's on his back foot countering.

Chad missing some more after Conor staggers him first. Note Conor looking for that same counter left from over the top again.

Here is Chad missing literally everything and Conor clearly avoiding it. This same feinted takedown attempt to uppercut setup caught Aldo repeatedly and had him hurt.

Chad lands hard here but not cleanly, it doesn't hit Conor's chin at all but instead the side of the neck (collar bone area) and the second punch to follow it up actually misses completely as Conor retreats just out of its range.

Porous striking defense? More like high level defense through the use of range control, footwork, framing out with arm and head control, slips, parries and dips. Conor also rolls with punches very well too. His understanding of distance and timing far exceeds Aldo's and Mendes'.

Last edited:
Was Chad landing clean and hard in all of these? You have to watch Conor's defense in slow motion or else you'll be misled into believing shots landed that simply didn't or didn't land cleanly at all. Here are most of Chad's "best" moments on the feet in their fight.

Chad lands clean and hard as Conor is scrambling back to an upright position with his back against the fence. Chad's follow up punch is caught in mid air and parried away. Rogan and fans think it lands because it looked like it may have due to Chad's hand speed. Rogan goes bananas of course.

Chad misses his overhand right, which lands on Conor's shoulder, and Conor actually clips Chad in the head around his temple as he's on his back foot countering.

Chad missing some more after Conor staggers him first. Note Conor looking for that same counter left from over the top again.

Here is Chad missing literally everything and Conor clearly avoiding it. This same feinted takedown attempt to uppercut setup caught Aldo repeatedly and had him hurt.

Chad lands hard here but not cleanly, it doesn't hit Conor's chin at all but instead the side of the neck (collar bone area) and the second punch to follow it up actually misses completely as Conor retreats just out of its range.

Porous striking defense? More like high level defense through the use of range control, footwork, framing out with arm and head control, slips, parries and dips. Conor also rolls with punches very well too. His understanding of distance and timing far exceeds Aldo's and Mendes'.

Excellent post. Some of the biggest shots I thought Mendes landed on him didnt even hit him.

^
3137708_o.gif

For me they went down. I was pretty even on Aldo/Conor up until the Mendes fight. But seeing the difficulties he had defending takedowns and being on his back, in addition to, getting hit often I am going with Aldo.

I mean I always saw Conor as a big threat to the title and still do but I am just more confident in Aldo winning now.

Same. I think a full fight camp Mendes would have beat Conor. He's still really good, but Aldo is a whole different beast.

In the first GIF Chad lands clean with that first shot, and it hurts plenty of guys.

In the 4th GIF it's impossible to tell how much it hits Conor's chin and how much it lands in the collarbone area. The camera angle doesn't allow you to see it so no idea why you'd make that claim.

But honestly, the fact that Chad landed some clean shots and that he's shown he has power should make people believe MORE in Conor, not less. Aldo is too good a striker to get shut out, he's going to land some shots in the fight. Now that I've seen Conor tagged by a guy with legit power and not even be fazed, I think Conor's chances are very good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back