Did Robbie underestimate Woodley? Like Werdum underestimated Stipe?

No he did not underestimate him. He knew damn well what Woodley is capable of and looked defeated from the start

Lawler looked terrified in there. He didn't throw one strike. Opposite of Werdum who chased down Stipe.
This. I thought Lawler looked like someone slipped him a few sleeping pills before going out there. He looked way too relaxed, not on guard, and not aggressive. He's historically a somewhat slow starter but he really looked like he thought the fight hadn't started yet. Tyron, on the other hand, looked like a predator from the moment the bell rang.

Werdum could have estimated Stipe any way he wanted. His standup is still sloppy and he still would have been KTFO'ed.

Lawler doesn't underestimate people.

It was one of two things imo. He wasn't confident fighting without PED's (speculative) or he knew who got the upper hand in training. Possibly a little of both. I don't buy the theory Lawler was bored or underestimated him because he looked nervous and I've never seen him like that.
Didn't realize roid accusations were acceptable on here.

Good to know.

Amazing how so many people don't notice what this actually is which is a Stipe bashing thread, I said for weeks that Werdums sloppy muay thai would get exposed by Stipes boxing.

Uhm... I don't think Werdum underestimated Miocic but he probably bought into his own hype. Werdum is a good striker and has a lethal ground game but it was very easy to see that Werdum would lose to someone with good striking. Obviously Werdum thought that he would win but there is nothing Werdum could have done to not lose to Miocic.

I don't think Robbie underestimated Woodley, he had respect for his power and unluckily for him, Woodley was able to land a power shot to the chin. I think we need to stop saying "figher X underestimated fighter Y" - this is just a bad excuse. Sometimes, this is definitely the case, but these people are professional fighters, they know that a simple mistake can lose you a fight especially if you're fighting someone like Woodley. Don't make up excuses for Lawler when he himself isn't making any excuses. Hopefully he'll KO Woodley in a rematch.

I think this is the case. I bought into it as well! I thought Woodley would be his easiest defense!!! Did he believe the same thing? Lawler fought killers like Hendricks, Condit and Rory. 2 of which are very well versed in more than just striking. Then u have Woodley a guy finished by Rory and Nate Marquardt. Pfft. Easy fight right? Wrong.

Then you have Werdum in Brazil. Obviously troll facing before the fight. All smiles. Looks softer than usual.

He's thinking to himself. Stipe? Pfft. Lol. The guy who lost to Stefan Struve of all people??!!! And a one legged JDS??? Funny I thought the same thing!!!

I understand a champion and a champions schedule. I'm sure a guy like Robbie was burning the candle at both ends in preparing for a killer like Condit. (Seriously what's Condits head made out of? I'm going with granite) but when he gets a guy like Woodley. Maybe just maybe he took it a little easier.
Stipe is better than Werdum has ever been

Hard for me to know if Robbie was lethargic/daydreaming at that moment, or if Woodley was just that fast.

Woodley is a fast starter and Lawler is definitely not as he gets stronger as the fight goes on. Woodley smartly didn't give him that chance. In a rematch Lawler would need to change his strategy completely.

Robbie got caught with a huge punch. It happens. Woodley used a feint to get Robbie to drop his hands, then dropped him with a clean shot. All this talk about "Robbie not looking right" seems like hindsight excuse-making. There's not a whole lot you can tell from a 2-minute KO, except the facts that Woodley has blazing speed and hits like a mack truck. In this sport, anybody can get caught. It's the nature of the beast.

Werdum, on the other hand, completely abandoned technique and paid the price. Literally running at Stipe with his head up and hands down -- you don't often see things like that from high level fighters. Perhaps he needed to get humbled.

Nope, Robbie didn't even have time for that. It was just a perfectly timed punch which landed on the button.

I think lawler training with woodley kind of struck fear into him. He probably knew that woodley had his number and what he was capable of. He fought almost like he was scared of him.

You people are expecting young champ behavior from old dudes.

Both Robbie and Werdum are old dudes. They slow down by a second and they are gone.

It's amazing that they were even champs at their age, both of them coming back from obscurity.

What's next ? Are you all going to be surprised when Bisping, an ancient dude, will lose his title in the next 2-3 fights... tops.

Older champs don't last long.

Robbie did exactly what he did in all of his previous title defenses, nothing (in the first 2 rounds). He is notoriously slow starter and against an explosive fighter like Woodley thats a receipt for disaster. You cant just rely on your chin and do nothing for the first half of the fight, twas only a matter of time before something like this happens.
I dont think he underestimated him, at least I cant imagine a champ that arguably lost 2 of his last 3 would underestimate a legit top 5 fighter in one of the most stacked divisions in UFC.

Woodley punched Lawler faster than he could react and block. Then Robbie got ko'ed. The end.

Robbie does not really start fighting until the second half of the fight. Woodley was able to capitalize quickly.

Neither guy underestimated their opponent, Lawler and Werdum knew their opponents were legit KO guys, sometimes things happen

TS is begging the question. Stipe beats Werdum 8 out of 10 times.

Back