1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Did Robbie underestimate Woodley? Like Werdum underestimated Stipe?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by ClosetVitorFan, Aug 9, 2016.

1. ClosetVitorFan Gold Belt

I think this is the case. I bought into it as well! I thought Woodley would be his easiest defense!!! Did he believe the same thing? Lawler fought killers like Hendricks, Condit and Rory. 2 of which are very well versed in more than just striking. Then u have Woodley a guy finished by Rory and Nate Marquardt. Pfft. Easy fight right? Wrong.

Then you have Werdum in Brazil. Obviously troll facing before the fight. All smiles. Looks softer than usual.

He's thinking to himself. Stipe? Pfft. Lol. The guy who lost to Stefan Struve of all people??!!! And a one legged JDS??? Funny I thought the same thing!!!

I understand a champion and a champions schedule. I'm sure a guy like Robbie was burning the candle at both ends in preparing for a killer like Condit. (Seriously what's Condits head made out of? I'm going with granite) but when he gets a guy like Woodley. Maybe just maybe he took it a little easier.

2. essie kay hansen's pink scrunchie Platinum Member

No, Woodley is better at fighting than Lawler and beat him.

3. thechoice2 Banned Banned

Condit the guy that was dominated by Woodley is a killer but Woodley is supposed to be an easy defense?

4. BoosieBoo Banned Banned

Lawler looked terrified in there. He didn't throw one strike. Opposite of Werdum who chased down Stipe.

5. Sleepdancer Brown Belt

he looked off. but Robbie is pretty passive the first round anyways, so who knows.

6. ClosetVitorFan Gold Belt

Dominated? Condit had his shin broken in that fight in a freak accident.

7. Arm Barbarian Titanium Belt Platinum Member

I think it was a combo of too many wars, and more stringent testing.

Lawler did not look physically the same to me as in some of his previous fights.

8. Heathcliff Pang Blue Belt

Think Wonderboy had it right on the MMA Hour, didn't look like the same Robbie in there.

9. ClosetVitorFan Gold Belt

Well I hedged my bet and bet on Woodley by KO in the 1st. I figured If Woodley was gonna win. That's exactly how he would win. Woodley only has 1 1/2 rounds in him. I don't think he's ever been in a 5 round fight before. I think Woodley would gas. Perhaps that was the gameplan for Robbie. Start slow beat Woodley as he gasses.

10. KaySlay Blue Belt

He was dominating the fight before the injury

11. thechoice2 Banned Banned

My mistake....Dominated and finished inside of 2 rounds.

12. ClosetVitorFan Gold Belt

Your definition of dominating and my definition are completely different then. I give Woodley this. He's a strong first round fighter no doubt.

13. Flokk Faux Belt

Lawler is a slow starter and I'm sure he hoped to take advantage of Woodley's cardio in the championship rounds. Woodley pretty much lulled him into a safe space and then knocked him out of it.

Werdum had a massive crowd-fueled brain fart.

14. LiquidSnake Banned Banned

Nope they just got whupped by superior fighters

15. 7th Silver Belt

Seemed like Robbie just forgot how to fight that night. I think if he underestimated Woodley, he would have went for the quick KO. If anything, he overestimated him and was too respectful and sat back waiting because of it.

16. boingyman If can, can. If no can, no can.

Likely not.

17. mudrubble Silver Belt

Nah, I think he knew he was fast so he was hesitant. He looked like he had respect. I'm sure he's seen that overhand destroy ppl in the gym and knew well to try to avoid it (called it the 'ol t-woodley bomb).

I think it was just too early. He was trying to get settled in and catch his rhythm and Tyron was smart enough to use his feint and speed while Robbie was trying to settle down, before he really got in the fight. Nice, slick move by T-wood at the right time, produced a picturesque KO. Poor Robbie. War Woodley.

18. RDUBYA an oldie but a goodie

Quit the PED talk, Lawler got hit hard and the follow up was fast and he couldn't recover. The end.

19. Private Whatley Purple Belt

I doubt Lawler underestimated Woodley. His greatest weakness is Woodley's biggest strength and Woodley has shown that he can also crack. Also, unlike Hendricks whose wrestling also gave Robbie fits, Woodley is extremely good at shooting from distance, which forced Robbie to keep his hands lowered even outside boxing range.

20. daprodigal2 Green Belt

i don't think so. they've trained together and have sparred. he knew who he was facing. lawler is a slow starter and woodley is explosive early. woodley landed a great shot and put lawler away.