Did Fedor have the right idea, when it comes to talk? Or does Jon Jones?

Fedor didn't need to play any mind games, his demeanor and aura were the ultimate mindfuck.

"I look into his eyes and I see nothing. I don't see if he's serious. I don't see if he's trying to be funny. I can't sense anything from him. A lot of people say, 'Don't pay attention to his demeanor because it will psyche you out.' It's true. I feel that." Brett Rogers

And then there's this:

"If a fighter gets under his opponents skin, it is the equivalent of getting the plague. The best when it comes to the staredown is Fedor Emelianenko. Watch him: he does not make eye contact and his entire expression is extremely relaxed - you would think he is about to perform a ballet or something. But here is the crucial thing. When the referee tells them to head back to their corners, Fedor suddenly darts a short look directly at his opponent - or through his opponent, I should say.

This kind of look is associated with antisocial behavioural disorders and psychopaths. They don't look at you, they look through you. It's emotionless, it goes deeper than skin level."

You will get a lot of fighters who will catch that look and suddenly realise they don't want to be there.

Wanderlei Silva has a stare-down that makes you think 'this is gonna hurt', but Fedor's makes you think 's---, I might die'."
Dr Joe Bell, Pyschologist

20091103105059_big_preview.JPG

In a way, I think Fedor was the scariest man to ever compete in MMA.

The way fedor handled things was amazing. But it wouldn't work for everyone

Jones is not cocky or arrogant, thats just some shit shertards made up because they want to find any and every reason to hate on Jones. Plus its standard procedure to give a BROTHER a hard time.

He wasnt too happy about Cro Cop that time :icon_lol:

That's angry lol? There's barely any emotion on his face. The only hint of anger is in his body language for a few seconds.

I mean shit, Cain's the same way, but at least he popped out of his chair screaming when Josh clubbed Diaz with his shin bone.

Jones is not cocky or arrogant, thats just some shit shertards made up because they want to find any and every reason to hate on Jones. Plus its standard procedure to give a BROTHER a hard time.

race-card.gif

Are you new to MMA? It didn't matter who it was until JDS and Cain came around. Actually every other orgs HW champ was considered equal or better, and we are talking about something very recent.

Are you new to mma?? Fedor lost to Werdum (at the time a UFC reject) and to Big Foot..... and Bones has lost to?????

I would attribute the differences in culture (for starters) and how much the MMA landscape has changed from then to now with regards to sales, bringing in new markets and audiences (not just the hardcore fans) and growing the respective brand. Especially in the US, it's as if folks want to see the guy that talks a lot get his head taken off. On the flip side, guys who don't talk much still get play because 1.) their opponents talk enough for both 2.) they beat up their opponents and are well liked by fans for being the quiet one who beats the loudmouth on the other end (not always...some opponents if the quiet ones are respectful). Like Matt Hughes, he didn't have to talk trash, he destroyed guys and his brute strength style of fighting did all the talking. GSP doesn't have to talk much, most of the guys he has fought have done the lions share of the talking. And let's really face it, from a marketing standpoint, ask a fair weather/mainstream MMA fan who Fedor is and they'll shrug shoulders and respond, "dunno". Prime Fedor however, if he were smashing guys in the UFC today would be very well known.

I would attribute the differences in culture (for starters) and how much the MMA landscape has changed from then to now with regards to sales, bringing in new markets and audiences (not just the hardcore fans) and growing the respective brand. Especially in the US, it's as if folks want to see the guy that talks a lot get his head taken off. On the flip side, guys who don't talk much still get play because 1.) their opponents talk enough for both 2.) they beat up their opponents and are well liked by fans for being the quiet one who beats the loudmouth on the other end (not always...some opponents if the quiet ones are respectful). Like Matt Hughes, he didn't have to talk trash, he destroyed guys and his brute strength style of fighting did all the talking. GSP doesn't have to talk much, most of the guys he has fought have done the lions share of the talking. And let's really face it, from a marketing standpoint, ask a fair weather/mainstream MMA fan who Fedor is and they'll shrug shoulders and respond, "dunno". Prime Fedor however, if he were smashing guys in the UFC today would be very well known.

Fedor would have been EXTREMELY popular if he fought during his prime in the current UFC. Even if he didn't beat Cain or JDS he would still be the top 3 most popular guy. Mainly because he is not a point fighter, he isn't game-planning very much, he doesn't play to the judges or flaws in the rules........ He fights, and he wins.... quite often via finish.

Fedor would have been EXTREMELY popular if he fought during his prime in the current UFC. Even if he didn't beat Cain or JDS he would still be the top 3 most popular guy. Mainly because he is not a point fighter, he isn't game-planning very much, he doesn't play to the judges or flaws in the rules........ He fights, and he wins.... quite often via finish.

Agreed! My point exactly :)

There's a difference between confident and cocky. I don't think any fighter should be cocky.

I've got nothing but love and respect for Fedor, but we both know this isn't true. We also can't be sure that Fedor's a better person than Jones. Probably so, because Jones is still young and trying to decide who he wants to be. But I'd love to hear your evidence on this conclusion.

We all know MW killer Jon Jones would stomp Prime 2005 Fedor...:rolleyes:

susumu19.jpeg

Yes it can safely be said Fedor is a much better fighter and would beat up JJ, at this point.

Come back to me when Jones goes undefeated against HWs for 10 years. Or even beats one.

Are you new to mma?? Fedor lost to Werdum (at the time a UFC reject) and to Big Foot..... and Bones has lost to?????

Werdum the number 1 contender after the next JDS fight you mean?

Or Bigfoot the number 1 contender behind him?

Werdum wasnt released, he left iirc because of the contract issue.

Who did Fedor lose to for the first ten years of his career of not fighting people who were laughably smaller and weaker than him?

I prefer a stoic and modest personality, so Fedor.

We all know MW killer Jon Jones would stomp Prime 2005 Fedor...:rolleyes:

susumu19.jpeg

Yes it can safely be said Fedor is a much better fighter and would beat up JJ, at this point.

Come back to me when Jones goes undefeated against HWs for 10 years. Or even beats one.

Get real, just like the pic you posted, its a perfect and prime example that Fedor has fought a bunch of cans too, dont act like Fedor was fighting top competition for a decade because he sure in the hell was not. Dont get me wrong Fedor is the GOAT, but when comparing him to Jones you got to be more accurate than that.

Jones cleaned out a division in literally just over 1 year, that owns and triumphs Fedor ruling the HW division fighting half cans and half elite fighter for almost a decade.

Back