Did Fedor have the right idea, when it comes to talk? Or does Jon Jones?

ethanfranklin

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Watching Jon Jones v Gus pre fight hype, and seeing all the shit he gets for being cocky, it makes me wonder what difference there would be if he just said nothing at all.

Did Fedor avoid a ton of mind games and bullshit with his stoicism and respect for his opponents? By refusing to rise to the bait, did he keep it all in the game, or did his foreign language, and reluctance to comment, ultimately hurt his box office?

Are we in a different era when all fighters, especially in the UFC have to do their hype work, as part of the game, or is their still a place for someone who smiles, says nothing and then just beats the shit out of people.

Last edited:
it's not one or the other.

some greats use mind games. others don't. both win, and eventually (A Silva & Fedor) both lose.

I wonder if Fedor would have talked any more if he spoke more english?

Can you imagine Michael Landsberg interviewing Fedor.

Damn that would be a train wreck?

I wonder if Fedor would have talked any more if he spoke more english?

Fedor does speak English, but not very well, to put it in perspective cro cop speaks about twice as well.

Chael's a good fighter, but without his mouth, he wouldn't have gotten all the opportunities he's had. And that's not a bad thing, fans Love the appearance of a feud and Sonnen brings it. There's nothing wrong with what he does.

Anderson Silva vs Chael Sonnen 2 - 925,000 PPV buys and a 6 million dollar gate.

Chael knows how to promote.

That being said. By being Stoic it left this cloud of Mystery to Fedor that intrigued people. But that doesn't work for everyone. Just like not everyone can be Chael Sonnen. I really think that Stoicism only would work for foreign fighters especially those from eastern Europe. There will never be anything mysterious about a dude from Jersey or Oregon or any other State.

I'm going to add this. The reason why Stoicism can work so well for a Russian, and this is no joke, because of Rocky 4. That cold menacing monster who beat the American loud mouth to deah. He hardly ever spoke and when he did it was short and to the point. He never changed his expression just a mysterious monster from the Soviet block.

Last edited:
It seemed genuine with Fedor, like he wasn't trying too hard.

Chael seems forced to me. Which is fine if you like his schtick, but can be grating if it's not your style.

Fedor let his fighting sell his fights

Changed it to jones, as i was really thinking of the ton of shite jones gets for being cocky.

In the interview today, the dude had him calling out the Klitschkos and dealing with Gus remarks and a lot of other stuff.

It just struck me that Fedor would have avoided all of that shite quite easily.

Cocky fighters have been around forever, as have the silent, modest ones. Fedor and Jon are just the latest in 2 very long lines.

"lets have a fair fight, and I hope we have a beautiful fight ... to satisfy all the fans waiting for this fight" that's why I respect fedor so much.

i think jones says stuff to build his own confidence or to maintain it - doesnt seem liek fedor needed to do that - i dont think jones does it strategically, he just reminds me of guys who need to talk themselves up to feel good about themselves

different strokes rule the world

Life would be pretty boring if everyone took Fedor's approach

different strokes rule the world

Life would be pretty boring if everyone took Fedor's approach

xakly.

they are both probably acting the way they need to act.

the worst think is probably for someone to act unnaturally.

that's why i don't hate Nick Diaz. he's just being him. if anything i feel bad for him.

Different flavors. Fedor was an incredible fighter in his day, but I seriously doubt he was capable of serious shit talk. I think it would have sounded forced and fake.

You can only have one Fedor on your roster. The shy, quiet, stoic, unassuming type can't work for everyone.

Same goes with GSP, Anderson Silva and Jon Jones. They all have unique personalities and if everyone acted like them, no one would stand out.

Fedor worked for Fedor and Jones is working for Jones.

Different flavors. Fedor was an incredible fighter in his day, but I seriously doubt he was capable of serious shit talk. I think it would have sounded forced and fake.

He wasnt too happy about Cro Cop that time :icon_lol:

Back