Did Dan Severn let Royce Gracie win?

^^^ Severn tapped 'cause he knew after triangle escape, royce would go all out & viciously rag-doll him into oblivion.... :icon_lol:

KarateStylist

Stupid thread.

Severn had a chance to head butt the shit out of Royce and didn't do it. He just ddin't have it in his heart to fight dirty. Considering they also made a gentleman's agreement to not pull hair.

Severn could had done damage to Royce with head butts and knees to the balls probably. But he never expected the triangle choke to come out of the blue. That was no "fixed" fight ending right there.

Its not the same to pound on a guy with no ground game than pounding on one of the best bjj practicioners at the time.

You realise ''that Russian'' was Oleg Taktarov, right? No ground game? lol.

I believe that early on Severn was uncomfortable with using a brutal style that might have helped him beat Royce Gracie but after he lost that match he seemed committed to not losing that way again and seemed to make sure he didn't.

I'm not saying he made a conscious decision to not use more brutality against Royce Gracie but more likely it was perhaps something that he realized after the fact.

and you think a brutal style will get you out of a fully locked triangle??? LMFAO...

by the way, its really hard to aimed the balls with a locked triangle, i mean REALLY hard..

Actually it does. In BJJ tourneys that is.

1. You took my quote out of context. Just quoting part of my post and making a dumbass comment means your IQ is about 57.
2. That wasn't a BJJ tourney.
3. I haven't competed in a long time, but when I competed, being in someone's guard didn't get you any points. Anyway, that is irrelevant. It was a fight, not a BJJ tourney (point number 2, moron.)
4. Because it is not a fight and the opponent is much heavier and has elite wrestling, the BJJ fighter expects, wants, and tries to end the fight from the back (which he did.) You actually think it would be a good strategy for Royce to try to take Severn down and stay on top of him?

5. You're an idiot.

I really doubt that Severn was concerned about hurting Royce at the time. In his most recent interview, he talked about a period in his wrestling days (prior to starting his MMA career) where he was deliberately blowing out people's joints in matches, ending their careers.

Doesn't exactly sound like a guy to have a crisis of conscience about some dirty GNP.

I think Severn could have been more vicious with GnP, but he wasn't really a fighter at that time, and didn't have that kind of ruthlessness.

When he came back for UFC 5, he said before the event that he had held back a little bit and that he was really going to let the beast out this time. Judging by how hard he pounded Joe Charles and Oleg that event, it could be true.

As for tapping out, Severn was caught in a triangle and had no other choice.

Well to be fair, back then most of us watching didn't really understand what was happening either. One minute he's fighting and the next he's tapping and the fight is being stopped. Not many viewers recognized a triangle back then!

The fucked up thing is that they went over their allotted PPV time slot and the fight got cut off, so very few people saw that happen live anyway. I remember my sister calling me from immediately afterward and asking if I knew who won because the fight just stopped out of the blue.

You mean you didn't recognise a triangle when you watched the UFC 4 torrent you downloaded a couple of years back?

Everyone was new once :)

and you think a brutal style will get you out of a fully locked triangle??? LMFAO...

No it could have just make it more difficult for Royce to have applied a fully locked triangle in the first place.

Back