Did Dan Severn let Royce Gracie win?

Severn is the man, but that triangle took him by surprise.

Well to be fair, back then most of us watching didn't really understand what was happening either. One minute he's fighting and the next he's tapping and the fight is being stopped. Not many viewers recognized a triangle back then!

The fucked up thing is that they went over their allotted PPV time slot and the fight got cut off, so very few people saw that happen live anyway. I remember my sister calling me from immediately afterward and asking if I knew who won because the fight just stopped out of the blue.

Its not the same to pound on a guy with no ground game than pounding on one of the best bjj practicioners at the time.

Oleg had no ground game??? Do you even know who he was?

I admired his wrongness from afar - it was quaint

I guess I have a pet peeve for people who scoff at something and in the same breath admit they don't really know the answer either.

and the fact that you joined in 2009 makes you better right???

Why are you offended at a comment that isn't even directed towards you?

Sorry, but my comment made sense, when he asked why he has never seen that question asked before and he's apparently been around for 4 months as far as anyone knows.

Some of you people are way to sensitive.

lol actually thats what Keith Hackney used to beat Joe Son at UFC 4.

Pretty cool they added this to the documentary.

I remember that fight! Cringed and continued cringing for another half hour after....

Some things never change....

i know dude, i'd been joined since 2002, and this shit never fails to pissed me off. just caused he joined before the the TS somehow makes him better.

anyway.. yeah severn was just simply got caught by that triangle and didn't know really how to defend against it.

Sorry, but my comment made sense, when he asked why he has never seen that question asked before and he's apparently been around for 4 months as far as anyone knows.

Even your avatar looks like a bully lol.

Didnt know who he was till a momento ago, thanks.

Still judokas dont have the same guard as bjj fighters.

Well yeah, I doubt his guard was in the league of Royce but he's no slouch either (especially for back then). Funny thing was, he was beaten so soundly by Severn most people had no idea he was as good as he really was. He surprised a lot of people when he showed up in the next event and won the whole thing.

Ive been around for more than 2 years actually.

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

Sensitive like you're being right now?

I guess I have a pet peeve for people who scoff at something and in the same breath admit they don't really know the answer either.

But he "doubted" it, and that's like Sherspeak for solid knowledge attained through years of study and experience

But he "doubted" it, and that's like Sherspeak for solid knowledge attained through years of study and experience

Yes, very true. How silly of me. You'd think this is the first thread I've participated in with such an oversight :redface:

I think he's hinting that he refused to punch Gracie in the nuts even though he could have.

But then again, he ended up punching Shamrock in the balls a bunch of times in a failed attempt to break out of a guillotine.

Im watching Ultimate Royce Gracie right now on my computer and i was very surprised to hear this from Dan Severn specially because ive never seen someone post a thing about this before.

He said something like "Did i tap because Royce Gracie beat me or did i tap because i was unwilling to do something that i needed to do to another human being?"

I honestly dont know what to think about this, Royce Gracie responded with a big smile on his face saying that was an excuse.

What do you guys think?
I think most guys have an excuse when they lose.

I think he fell asleep and got caught napping

Back