Did Dan Severn let Royce Gracie win?

I believe that early on Severn was uncomfortable with using a brutal style that might have helped him beat Royce Gracie but after he lost that match he seemed committed to not losing that way again and seemed to make sure he didn't.

I'm not saying he made a conscious decision to not use more brutality against Royce Gracie but more likely it was perhaps something that he realized after the fact.

Im watching Ultimate Royce Gracie right now on my computer and i was very surprised to hear this from Dan Severn specially because ive never seen someone post a thing about this before.

He said something like "Did i tap because Royce Gracie beat me or did i tap because i was unwilling to do something that i needed to do to another human being?"

I honestly dont know what to think about this, Royce Gracie responded with a big smile on his face saying that was an excuse.

What do you guys think?

He did say in a previous interview that he had 5 days notice. He went in pretty much with just a wrestler's mentality and he said he found it hard to bring himself to punch an opponent. He said he had years of wrestling rules etc behind him and so he wasn't really putting much into his punching. I think the interview is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKasH7_vMj4

He did say in a previous interview that he had 5 days notice. He went in pretty much with just a wrestler's mentality and he said he found it hard to bring himself to punch an opponent. He said he had years of wrestling rules etc behind him and so he wasn't really putting much into his punching. I think the interview is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKasH7_vMj4

Thanks.

I think it is interesting how much the fight commentating at the time and people's memories are back when we all knew less about BJJ. Anyone with BJJ experience, go youtube the Severn vs Royce fight, turn off the sound, and try to convince yourself that Severn was "mauling" Gracie until the surprise finish.

Remember that in BJJ, just because you are on your back does not mean you are losing the fight. In fact, if you are fighting a wrestler with an 80lb weight advantage, you can definitely expect to be on your back. Never once did Severn come close to finishing the fight or inflicting serious damage or even passing the guard. Gracie was far more active.

After you watch it with no sound, watch it again with sound and prepare to laugh at the ignorance of the fight commentary throughout the entire fight.

i dont think its an excuse at all.
Certainly not a very good one.
Hes just saying he lacked the mental toughness to win I guess.

Its not uncommon.

A big part of learning to fight and most importantly defend oneself is learning how to be prepared to do grievous harm to another person and eliminating the threat before they find a chance to do the same to you.

Thats the lesson I took from it when I saw it.

Bullshit excuses from severn.
Even after his 100th fight, he STILL could barely throw a punch with any decent form.
He had no idea what to do and can't man up to a smaller guy kicking his ass.

Why are you offended at a comment that isn't even directed towards you?

Sorry, but my comment made sense, when he asked why he has never seen that question asked before and he's apparently been around for 4 months as far as anyone knows.

Some of you people are way to sensitive.

Dude,.. you attack the guy for being a new member,.. then you cry about someone being sensitive when they point out you are pretty new too. GTFO, lol.

I think you're misinterpreting him. IMO he just means that had he been willing to use certain strikes (such as knees to the head of a downed opponent) he feels he'd have won that fight. At that time he wasn't yet willing to do that to win. That changes in the next event.

That's how I interpret it anyway.

yep, this, and also the early UFC did indeed have rules that were set up to help Royce. For example, they disallowed Shamrock from wearing shoes because it was "equipment" which could help him get traction for takedowns, kicks or strikes, but they allowed Royce to use his own equipment (his gi) to choke Shamrock out.

yep, this, and also the early UFC did indeed have rules that were set up to help Royce. For example, they disallowed Shamrock from wearing shoes because it was "equipment" which could help him get traction for takedowns, kicks or strikes, but they allowed Royce to use his own equipment (his gi) to choke Shamrock out.

This is why I loved watching him face Sakuraba in Pride. Though he and his team tried to shift the rules to favor him, Sakuraba was too crafty to let those rules hold him back. I give him props for hanging in there With Saku as long as he did (most other fighters would have broken mentally or physically far quicker) but he was definitely outclassed.

Lol BS Severn. Look at Severn Ragdoll/Maul that thai boxer, tell me that guy was holding back. lol

I've read many times that he held back many times when he has fought.

Well you're wrong.

The format of the early events was that the overall winner walked away with a check for fifty grand.

Unless you was Art Jimmerson who made $20,000 to not get punch nor put in a submission hold while just tapping out after a few minutes of practicing Folkstyle Wrestling.

Back