Did Dan Severn let Royce Gracie win?

HC Daniel

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Im watching Ultimate Royce Gracie right now on my computer and i was very surprised to hear this from Dan Severn specially because ive never seen someone post a thing about this before.

He said something like "Did i tap because Royce Gracie beat me or did i tap because i was unwilling to do something that i needed to do to another human being?"

I honestly dont know what to think about this, Royce Gracie responded with a big smile on his face saying that was an excuse.

What do you guys think?

I think he's hinting that he refused to punch Gracie in the nuts even though he could have.

I think you're misinterpreting him. IMO he just means that had he been willing to use certain strikes (such as knees to the head of a downed opponent) he feels he'd have won that fight. At that time he wasn't yet willing to do that to win. That changes in the next event.

That's how I interpret it anyway.

Im watching Ultimate Royce Gracie right now on my computer and i was very surprised to hear this from Dan Severn specially because ive never seen someone post a thing about this before.

Maybe it's because you've been a member for four months.

fingers in the orifice of an opponent is a tough call to make for 50 g's

I think he's hinting that he refused to punch Gracie in the nuts even though he could have.

lol actually thats what Keith Hackney used to beat Joe Son at UFC 4.

Pretty cool they added this to the documentary.

I think you're misinterpreting him. IMO he just means that had he been willing to use certain strikes (such as knees to the head of a downed opponent) he feels he'd have won that fight. At that time he wasn't yet willing to do that to win. That changes in the next event.

That is how I took it aswell .

This is correct because he trashed the russian and had him bleeding from the face and the back of the head with those strikes.

i doubt they were getting 50g's back then.

Well you're wrong.

The format of the early events was that the overall winner walked away with a check for fifty grand.

Severn is the man, but that triangle took him by surprise.

This is correct because he trashed the russian and had him bleeding from the face and the back of the head with those strikes.

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking of when I wrote that too. At the time, it was one of the more bloody and violent fights in the short history of the UFC. I remember being shocked by it when I saw it.

That is how I took it aswell .

I saw and interview where he talked about how he thought the Gracie's were willing to watch him beat Royce to death before stopping the fight and he just could not do that and held himself back from mauling Royce. That being said, he did not let Royce win by giving up he just left the door unlocked for Royce to sneak the triangle in.

Its not the same to pound on a guy with no ground game than pounding on one of the best bjj practicioners at the time.

Back