Did Brock get as much hate as CM Punk?

Brock had a lot of fans.

I don't think anyone here likes CM Punk or thinks he can be one of the best.

th

So Glass Joe moved from boxing to MMA and got a Pepsi tattoo?

f_Glass_Joe-719x897.jpg

Punk is UFC's parody of the casual and pro wrestling fan. Dana offers up an actor, with no background in any combat sports, and zero amateur fights and says: "Look at how much money we'll make off the stupidity of these fans, because they'll nut hug on any celebrity if we Hype them up". And sadly, he's right.

Just look at the contingent of morons that support him here with statements like "you all are haters", or "you're just jealous", as though that's a justification for UFC signing an actor to fight, when the regions are filled with talented fighters that have been busting their butts to get a shot.

The ignorance of the public is beyond comprehension.

CM Punk will never be a Brock...

(I can't believe I said that, but it's true.)

I think Brock got a lot more hate from fight fans just because he rubbed everyone the wrong way. I don't recall any fighters complaining about him as Brock did prove that he was legit (though not as good as some people believed) and he was huge, scary guy that most fighters knew they would lose to. Punk seems to get a lot of hate from fighters but not as much from fans.

Brock played the heel well and had an incredible presence - almost everyone knew and talked about him. Plus he took all challengers - back to back and quick turnaround fights. HW Division was never better.

All you saying Brock got as much hate are not correct.. I'd compare cm punks hate to kimbo slice... Real mma fans new he wasn't a top fighter but still got a chance at the big boys.. Brock had wayyyyyyy more interest in seeing him vs the big boys...

Brock was a world champion and defended twice.

And he STILL gets hated on and called a can.

I'm not hating on CM, nor did I hate on Lesnar. To me, anyone willing to get in the octagon against someone trying to hurt you for money deserves a degree of respect. Seeing that CM doesn't really need the money, unlike some fighters, but is still willing to test himself at a risk is pretty cool, IMO. He's going to make some money, make the UFC some money, and hopefully put up a decent showing.

Honestly, I think he may have legit skills that are just being kept under wraps well. Not champ material, but enough to prove a lot of haters wrong. I almost guarantee you that he's got enough skill to hurt 99% of Sherdog members, including myself.

Brock got a ton of hate and it didn't help that he lost his first UFC fight to Mir. But I think the real hatred started because of the way the UFC gave him his title shot after beating Herring and and I believe was handed the interim title after beating Couture. He was pretty much handed the belt and a lot of fans hated that.

Not even close, IMO.

Brock's wrestling credentials were respected. He also had a fight outside of the UFC before being signed. He was also regarded as a freak athlete coming into the UFC. In short, people were much more likely to believe he could be a legit fighter than anyone is giving CM Punk a chance for right now.

Lesnar also fought Frank Mir in his first fight in the UFC, not some newly signed fighter like Punk. Prior to the Cain fight this forum actually became very divided between people believe Brock would go down as the best HW ever (many people claimed he already was) and others who believed he had become way over hyped.

There was also Brocktober. Never forget.

Brock got a ton of hate and it didn't help that he lost his first UFC fight to Mir. But I think the real hatred started because of the way the UFC gave him his title shot after beating Herring and and I believe was handed the interim title after beating Couture. He was pretty much handed the belt and a lot of fans hated that.

His antics during that Herring fight also did not help matters.
I became a fan after his second fight with Mir, I could not help but like him at that point.
However that fight too helped to polarize him with fans.

I miss Brock Lesnar. It was an entertaining run to say the least.

Most people don't know who CM Punk is - he was WWE Big but not WWE BIG - casuals talked about Brock, no one talks about CM except those who follow the sport to any real degree. As a heel even many of the casuals hated Brock or spoke of him negatively.

I hate the word "casuals" too!

Let's see if I can answer this stupidity as eloquently as possible...

Brock= Former Collegiate Wrestling Champion. Who could have easily made the USA Olympic team. Has extensive REAL grappling experience that carries over well into MMA. He also started training 2 years before making his pro debut in some Japanese org to test himself. He is also an A-level heavyweight athlete. Even with my disdain for his character and quick jump to title stardom, I cannot deny his real wrestling/grappling accolades and athletic pedigree.

CM PUNK= A former pro-wrestler...Who has not put in the a propos amount of time in the gym to even be a pro-fighter. He has no athletic background or accolades to fall back on. No real experience at all, and well...There is literally no excuse for bringing him into the top organization in MMA.

I don't see how it can be any clearer than this. Only a serious RASSLIN loving fanboy can even attempt to excuse the FACT that he is jumping over more deserving fighters/better fighters into the UFC. And there is NO GOOD EXCUSE for having him receive the amount he is going to get for being KTFO/Choked unconscious by someone they are bringing in to lose to him.(Note this guy must suck if the UFC are using him to boost Punk)

Brock was far more disliked. Especially when he got the title shot, and even more when he won.

I think a lot of people are just flat out dismissive of CM Punk and don't expect him to do shit.

Brock Lesnar had legit credentials. This really helped.

1.gif

1.2.gif

brock-horn.jpg

CM punk could shit on the planets entire supply of cereal and still not come close to the nerd rage Brock caused.

Every time Brock won a fight, anti-wwe nerds had hundreds of aneurysms in unison.

For some reason a lot of them thought his real amateur wrestling credentials somehow didnt count as a skill.

Back