Did Brock get as much hate as CM Punk?

Brock got far more (unfounded) hate than Punk.

People are laughing at Punk and his chances simply because he's in his late 30's with no combat sport background. Brock flat-out proved himself time and time again and the retards still refused to give him credit. Similar to Conor in that respect.

People were saying he wasn't proven and hadn't earned his stripes. But it was tempered a little because guys at the time were coming to the UFC from TUF with little to no experience.

People on the other side of the fence said that he is a legit athlete with an NCAA championship and a ton of power. The best thing the UFC did was have him fight before coming to the UFC. He probably should have beat Mir in that first UFC bout if he had just a little more experience.

The other factor was that Kurt Angle was teasing an MMA fight for years even then. Which was, and still is, a publicity stunt.

CM Punk has no experience, he should have had a fight in RFA or Legacy to build off. Feels more like a stunt.

Brock got substantially more hate, even after his wins.

Brock was hated about as much but respected a lot more than Punk due to his obvious natural athleticism and legit wrestling background. Punk fighting in the UFC is about as big a joke as Ken Kaneko fighting in PRIDE and even then they didn't resort to bringing in regional guys to beat up Kaneko.

Brock was an NCAA Champion wrestler. That's why he got a bit of a pass

Brock got more respect, because of his background, but he also got more hate, because ... well, he's Brock.

At first everyone said Brock had no chance, he beat Min Soo Kim with the greatest of ease but everyone overruled it and said he wouldn't stand a chance against a "good" fighter. He dominated Mir until the stupidest decision ever by Mazzagati. But people still said he wouldn't beat Herring however he dismantled him and for the Couture fight people were 50/50. After that everyone thought he would win.

I'm not convinced with Punk personally, unlike Brock he doesn't have any real experience, I say 1st round TKO for Gall, I can't see Punk/Brookes winning unless he has somehow sprouted these great martial art skills.

Holy fuck yes Brock got more hate...

Especially when compared to Fedor...oh my god the hate.

A lot of the Brock hate was in retaliation to people saying he would be the greatest HW ever. The hatred was mostly from Fedor fanboys and anti-pro wrestling crowd. CM Punk supporters are saying he might not get completely destroyed in his UFC debut and by some miracle win. No one thinks CM Punk will have a successful mma career. People actually felt threatened by Brock's potential and the haters were in defensive mode so they were more vocal. CM Punk doesn't have that potential Brock had.

Brock was a college champion wrestler and had at least 1 pro fight. Consider that Cain was a less succesful wrestler than Brock and signed with 2 fights. Bilyal Makhov is a fantastic wrestler, but he will debut with no pro fights.

Remove Brock's WWE run, and any fame he had. He was still a legitimate signing, going by standards used at HW.

Signing CM Punk is the most pathetic thing the UFC have ever done.

Both aren't top level martial artists, Brock was entering heavyweight though so it was more conceivable that he could compete in the lumbering, lazy, untechnical division.

He atleast had proven wrestling credentials to pull him through.

Brock did pretty good and that seemed to make people hate him even more

I've been on here for a few years now, but I don't seem to remember this sort of hate against a WWE fighter. Was it because Brock looks like he does or his background in collegiate wrestling?

He only had one pro fight before he fought Frank Mir for christ sake lol

Win 1–0 Min-Soo Kim Submission (punches) Dynamite!! USA June 2, 2007

8 months later, he fights and loses to Frank Mir vie submission. The rest they say, is history.

Was there less hate for Brock because he wrested for the NCAA and was quite successful where as CM punk started with a backyard wrestling company lol?

Just trying to understand why all the hate.

Brock fan, I don't feel one way or another about CM Punk just yet, nor a fan of WWE for whatever it's worth. I rooted for for Brock because I thought it was pretty cool to see a dude want to test himself against professional fighters. That takes heart/courage/balls whatever you want to call it. It's also why I'm a MCGOAT fan, he's not afraid to take on bigger and bigger challenges. That's how you progress as a fighter and that's how you also push this sport further.
Brock got hated because he was a douche. Only thing he had for him was he had a legit background in NCAA wrestling. Punk gets it because of his star power.

I actually hate Brock more I never liked him and cheered when brown pride made him break dance

Brock got way more hate. CMPunk isn't really getting hate, he's getting people pointing out how he's kind of a joke and bashing 'rasslin, but no real hate. Brock was hated partially because he asked for the attention by his actions and attitude (smart on his part) and because people seemed afraid that his success would open the floodgates to making UFC more like WWE, which in a way it has (connor).
Yes there are people hating on CM Punk, but not the majority of the sport, most don't really care about him because he's an undercard quality fighter at this stage. People knew Brock was going to be on the main card permanently based solely on his abilities, and many couldn't not accept that and still maintain their notion that he as just a 'rassler and nothing more, as if signing with WWE erased his wrestling accomplishments.

looking back the hate brock got was undeserved, he did pretty damn well for someone who was primarily a wwe wrestler whose past credentials were well behind him, his freaky size and athleticism was a big wow factor, it's a pity his striking wasn't up to scratch and he wasn't accustomed to taking punches and punishment especially after his diverticulitis.
I always went against him, but i kinda wish we had another freak like that back in the division.

So far CMP has done little to deserve hate for MMA fans.
Lesnar on the other did , with his disrespectful behaviour.

Fighting in the biggest arena of them all (WWE) is not a laughing matter.
So it's safe to say CM Punk ain't no rookie when it comes to fighting.

Brock got exponentially more hate than CM Punk. People viewed his entering MMA as an "us versus them" scenario. Mir was essentially tasked with upholding the integrity of the sport. People thought that if Brock came in and started destroying people, it would make the sport look like a joke. In addition, people resented the incursion of fake wrasslin fans into "our" sport. As time went on, and people realized that Brock brought credible talent to the table, the hate changed. It was no longer about MMA vs. WWE, but some people now hated him because he came across as a bully. Most people dislike a guy who's bigger than everyone else and also acts like a bully. Smaller guys can get away with acting like that, but humility is a better look for the biggest guy in the room.

As someone else said, CM Punk has been shielded from some of the backlash because Brock already paved the way for him. Also, he poses much less of a threat. Although some people resent his unwarranted preferential treatment, few people lose sleep over it because nobody expects him to do well.

Brock got hated because he was a douche. Only thing he had for him was he had a legit background in NCAA wrestling. Punk gets it because of his star power.

You honestly believe that people dislike Punk because of his "star power " ?.

Back