Did Brock get as much hate as CM Punk?

Brock was one of the most hated guys ever because he was a legit threat. CM Punk is just completely irrelevant and it seems people are more rolling their eyes than hating.

No. Brock had real wrestling cred as well as trying our for the NFL. He was a phenom since childhood, and considered Olympics before signing with WWE.

Brock was friggin' awesome and I wish he never got sick. He was charismatic and a beast and didn't need the money. He didn't have to take anyone's crap and basically made his own rules about what type of beer he'd support ;) -
I honestly haven't watched WWE for 10+ years or so. I had no idea who CM Punk was until he was signed by the UFC. From what I've read he isn't particularly athletic. I think he's going to lose his first fight. But I certaintly don't hate the guy for following his dream of fighting in the UFC. He did a good job of marketing himself in WWE and getting signed by the UFC. Ya, he took a "short cut" but anyone who hates him is just jealous. Why hate another man b/c he had the guts and ability to make his dreams come true?

No. Brock was/is an athletic freak. His collegiate wrestling record was 100 something and like 3. He had multiple private try outs for NFL teams (and he never made the cut. That should tell you something about NFL lineman for all you football haters out there. A NCAA national champion couldn't get a slot as a backup DL or special teams player). Plus he looks like a juggernaut.

All Phil Brooks did before he got signed was a couple months of bjj (which is funny because CM Punk was suppose to be a Muay Thai expect). Him being able to fight his first mma in the UFC is disrespectful to the sport.

Brock was much better at getting under peoples skin, with Punk it all seems like a bad joke.
Brock was polarizing but was also more generally more respected.

His first fight was against a former champion not fringe amateurs.

Thats why brock got more hate,people were afraid he'd be successful

Yeah, THIS I can see being a big motivation for people to hate on him. You've got a guy coming from WWE and dethroning MMA greats. Okay, fair enough.

To a certain extent Brooks gets a pass on some of the extra hate that Lesnar got for being the first big name sports entertainment star to get into the UFC, plus all the favorable match ups (in terms of ranking and getting the title shot) in the opinions of the MMA fans. He brought a lot of pro-wrestling fans to the sport that were as initially frowned upon and sneered at as the TUF noobs of a couple years earlier.

Brooks doesnt get a lot of that hate because that barrier has already been broken. He does get extra hate, however, for being allowed in the UFC with the fighting background of any random mid-30s guy in most neighborhoods but having a famous name. Lesnar at least had a pedigree of wrestling champion that even the haters couldnt deny. When he said that he wanted to do it basically because it was on his bucket list, and is allowed to get away with it, it makes every other person who kind of had that on their bucket list and knows it will never happen kind of mad. Its supposed to be the UFC, the major leagues. Not Fight Club where you have a retired action star fighting a photographer for kicks.

He also gets extra hate from the fighters who have been training their whole life, giving up other opportunities to fight their way into the "Big Show" for whatever salary they can get just to watch someone get a bigger payday for being a celebrity.

So the situations are similar but a lot of the motivations are different, which might be why it seems bigger or more vocal.

Brock was hated mostly by fans who didn't understand his amateur wrestling credentials

Let's see here. He isn't a J Robinson product & a D1 nat'l champion. He also isn't being brought in to save an entire division from crashing and burning. The middleweight division in 2016 and the Heavyweight division in 07-08 are vastly different landscapes. That being said, Brock steadily earned his hatred throughout his career IMO. After watching a season of TUF, I can't imagine why anyone really gives a $hit if CM Punk gets a chance to prove himself though.

Anyone sayin Brock didnt get as much hate either wasnt around then,or arent thinking clearly. Hardly anyone even really cares about CM Punk in regards to what they think will happen.Brock was a completley different story as he was thrown right into the fire,and hammed up every minute of it. Even in Lesnar's loss to mir in his debut he was fucking terrifying and mir was lucky to win.People are more dismissive of their expectations of Punk,and rightfully so,but Lesnar had this forum on defcon 1 with every fight.

Well Brock had experience in college wrestling which is way more than anything CM Punk is bringing to the table

Also just look at the 2
th

th

CM Punk is like a walking talking joke on himself, they had Brock fight Mir who was one of their best HW's.....They had to bring in the least experienced fighters they ever have into the UFC just so Punk would be able to compete against someone

brock did get as much hate, but it was really due to him playing the bad guy. cm punk isn't doing that. cm punk's hate has more to do with his lack of any defined skill set. everyone knew that brock was a great wrestler in college.

Lets not get too far ahead of ourselves here. CM Punk hasn't even fought yet and I honestly don't think he will. He already said he has a bad feeling. I see him backing out at the last minute. He is just looking for attention. I have to give Brock credit for getting in there like a real man and getting back in there after losing also. If Punk does fight and loses I don't see him getting back in there and doing it again.

Brock got way more hate than Punk. I think because he wasn't as humble and because he got really high profile fights so quickly.

He got a lot of hate, but he also had some skill and credentials to back up his bravado.

way more - he was discussed much more as he was actually fighting - he didnt desreve most of it, in my opinion

It was clear coming in that Brock had the background and athletic ability to compete in the UFC, there was no doubt about that, the question was his ability to compete against an experienced mixed martial artist, and he agreed to fight Mir, who had the most dangerous skillset for Brock as a pure wrestler. The fight was interesting going in, and Brock did a great job in the fight.

Punk/Brooks is just getting a ufc fight because he is famous, there is no reason to think he can be successful as a ufc fighter as he has done nothing as an athlete to warrant any expectations. The whole thing is awkward.

I wish when Brock left WWE back in 2004 that instead of wasting his time trying to make it on the Vikings football team in the NFL that he would have went straight to mma. He could have gotten much better. He was still in his 20's. Could have become multi demensional. Learned better stand up. Etc. Could have really been a HW goat.

Back