Did Brock get as much hate as CM Punk?

Crimp_Keeper

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I've been on here for a few years now, but I don't seem to remember this sort of hate against a WWE fighter. Was it because Brock looks like he does or his background in collegiate wrestling?

He only had one pro fight before he fought Frank Mir for christ sake lol

Win 1–0 Min-Soo Kim Submission (punches) Dynamite!! USA June 2, 2007

8 months later, he fights and loses to Frank Mir vie submission. The rest they say, is history.

Was there less hate for Brock because he wrested for the NCAA and was quite successful where as CM punk started with a backyard wrestling company lol?

Just trying to understand why all the hate.

Brock fan, I don't feel one way or another about CM Punk just yet, nor a fan of WWE for whatever it's worth. I rooted for for Brock because I thought it was pretty cool to see a dude want to test himself against professional fighters. That takes heart/courage/balls whatever you want to call it. It's also why I'm a MCGOAT fan, he's not afraid to take on bigger and bigger challenges. That's how you progress as a fighter and that's how you also push this sport further.

Brock got more. He is a much more polarizing figure than CM punk,and even worse,he is so goddamned huge terrifying and athletic,that people who hated him knew he might just pull it off.

Yes and No. But Brock actually had an Aura and intrigue around him. Plus his size and wrestling credentials were serious. There isnt much mystique around Punk so he'll prob catch more guff.

But to this day, Brock still gets a lot of hate even though he did show success.

Brock actually had REAL wrestling pedigree. Not just the entertainment pedigree. And he was a freak of nature, strength-wise.

So the Barnum & Baily's factor wasn't quite as pronounced as it is this time around.

3b52556r.jpg

Brock really knew how to rub everyones face in it,the jimmies that were rustled is something CM punk can never aspire to.

brock-drool.gif

Brock got a ton of hate, both warranted and some unwarranted. Everybody that comes from an entertainment aspect of our culture will always get some hate.

Brock was/is one of the most reviled fighters on Sherdog.

It seems to me that CMPunk isn't close - yet.

Brock was/is one of the most reviled fighters on Sherdog.

It seems to me that CMPunk isn't close - yet.

I dont think he can get there. Brock won the goddamn belt
no way CM PUNK is doin that.

Brock will go down in history as one of the worlds biggest bad asses,when your grandkids read about him on wikipedia they cant imagine a dude like that pulled off what he did.

Brock got as much hate, but for a completely different reason.

The hate against Phil Brooks is predicated upon the fact that you got thousands of guys busting their ass to get into the UFC, who are fighters with legit talent and fighting experience who aren't noticed. Meanwhile, here you've got someone who's already a multi-millionaire, former WWE superstar just given the opportunity because he did a little BJJ, is best buds with Dana, and he's marketable. For a company that claims to only get the best talent, that is demonstrably inconsistent.

Brock got hate because of his portrayed arrogance. He was a Badass and he knew it STS. People saw him as a bully type, because as good and as talented as he was at inflicting damage, he didn't deal with it well, and in the end, that was his undoing. But let's not get it twisted. Brocks only background isn't WWE. He's one of the best pure athletes to ever step foot in the octagon, a 6'3, 270 lb montser who hits like a truck. And he's an NCAA Division 1 national champion, something that took you very far in MMA at that time, and still does to a certain extent.

But also because of this, Brock had a cult following as well.

Brock got a ton of hate and it was less deserved.

Brock had a significant background in combat sports and had one warmup match before getting signed. Although, he also got a much more high profile fight, too.

CM Punk came a knockin...and the UFC said yes,we gotta have that money. Theyd be fools not to,even though the whole thing is pretty ridiculous.

Brock was a wrestler before, CM is a speedo fake fights actor

Also Lesnar posed a ridicolous treat on athletic/size/strenght level

Thats why brock got more hate,people were afraid he'd be successful

Brock was a freak athlete with an excellent wrestling pedigree,who made his debut at 30 yo in the least skilled division of MMA.

CM Punk is just an athletic entertainer who wanted to fight in the UFC....I mean come on,this guy has no background whatsoever in combat sports and is 37.

Brock and CM Punk are worlds apart. Brock is "a four-time All-American, two-time Big Ten Champion and NCAA heavyweight wrestling champion." -UFC.com

It is insulting to Brock to even be put in the same sentence as CM. They are nothing alike.

CM doesn't even belong in a sentence with Bobby Lashley.

Putting CM in a sentence with Batista is acceptable but even then i would have entered both their first fights with higher expectations for Batista.

He did and just about everyone this board celebrated when Frank beat him. Brock had a few things going for him that CM Punk doesn't though. He had a real wrestling background, was insanely strong and athletic, much more so than the rest of his division, and he at least had a professional fight before he stepped in. CM has none of that, and he looks like he isn't all that athletic so really it seems like he is just trading on name alone.

Brock beat the crap out Herring, Couture and Mir. Mir was gifted by Mazzagati a stand up.

CM Punk is a scrawny 170 pound man who looks like mechanic at Jiffy Lube.

Back