Diaz vs GSP is bad for MMA

I agree to a point.

The big problem I have is that a fighter who has twice faced suspension for illegal substances has a chance to become the champ. What happens if he does win the belt? What if he tests positive again during his reign of after this fight?

A guy who's been popped more than once needs to demonstrate a ability to chain together a few more fights before he gets a shot at the title. Otherwise the UFC is just asking for trouble.

go smoke a joint. its fukin weed grow up.

GSP/Diaz is fine. It's Sonnen/Jones that is really bad. Also, there have always been fights that were bad to make. Lesnar/Couture messed up the HW picture for years.

Fans like you are bad for the sport, comparing MMA to any other sport is pointless.

GSP/Diaz is fine. It's Sonnen/Jones that is really bad. Also, there have always been fights that were bad to make. Lesnar/Couture messed up the HW picture for years.

What's the difference between Diaz and Sonnen? I don't see any both are coming off losses in title fights and both got another shot with their mouths.

This is exactly the reason why they shouldn't be setting up big name fights just for the sake of PPV buys when doing so hurts the legitimacy of a sport that's still in its infancy, relatively speaking. You think you're looking at the bigger picture when you're doing just the opposite, looking at short-end gains at the expense of the long-term repercussions in giving title shots to wholly undeserved fighters just because they're currently popular.

And if you cannot understand that then you are either 10 years old, too mentally slow, or too emotional and should instead be watching Twilight. Idiot.

You just went Megazord.

mma is bigger than any one fight, if they did gsp v a squirrel, some people will buy some wont, everyone moves on

This is exactly the reason why they shouldn't be setting up big name fights just for the sake of PPV buys when doing so hurts the legitimacy of a sport that's still in its infancy, relatively speaking. You think you're looking at the bigger picture when you're doing just the opposite, looking at short-end gains at the expense of the long-term repercussions in giving title shots to wholly undeserved fighters just because they're currently popular.

And if you cannot understand that then you are either 10 years old, too mentally slow, or too emotional and should instead be watching Twilight. Idiot.

Why not run a MMA organization then and show Zuffa how to do it right?

Diaz was had a 11 win streak before losing to Condit in a close decision fight. In those 11 wins he defeated BJ Penn and avenged his loss against Noons. He acquired top ten wins and fought Condit for the title shot but lost. But after Condit lost to GSP, it makes no sense to say Diaz does not deserve it. Diaz loses a close fight to Condit for a title shot but Hendricks sneaks in with a win over Kampmann and yet you make it seem as if Diaz just came into the picture from the WWE. Stop being so damn over dramatic cupcake. This is not Gossip Girls.

PPV sells of names. Selling it based of a strict sport's ranking formula would not get them the big numbers. Period. This is common sense.

Now I'll go slow for you.

My point is in a sport like the NFL, the teams that win in the playoffs go to the super bowl because they deserve to more than the teams that lose.

In MMA, the guy who KO's the perennial number 2 guy in the division, then KO's another top contender, is more deserving of a shot than the guy who fails to meet contractual obligations, loses, then is suspended for a year.

Do you see the comparison now? If the NFL decided to pick the two most popular teams based on trash talk or touch down celebrations and had them play, it'd be fucked up and the super bowl wouldn't mean anything. It would be bad for football.

Literally nothing you said compares to the NFL.

So if a team beats the steelers and Ravens they should get a shot instead of a team that lost to the Patriots But had beat the sea Hawks and bears. Goodell would then choose who to play in the super bowl against the Giants?

Where is the comparison.

you should care how it got there

- and it won't by the way - the people selling it will try to convince you otherwise leading up to the fight but st pierre is going to clown diaz and the whole thing will look like a joke - there's a reason diaz has fought a string of mid-tier strikers and not a wrestler among them - condit was his only real championship worthy fight and he lost - st pierre will have diaz so confused and frustrated once the fight starts he won't remember what day of the week it is
Condit/GSP was pretty exciting, and the Diaz/Condit fight was so close that people still argue about the outcome.

By that logic, this fight should be exciting too.

But, that said, title fights are never earned, always given.

He fought for top contender spot against Condit and lost by decision in a close fight.

But with Condit having recently lost to GSP, well than you go ahead and do the math.

One can say Hendricks deserves the shot and I don't disagree. But in this case with Diaz; he was still behind Condit to fight for the title before Hendricks defeated Kampmann.

Sure the hype factor plays a role here. But so what? MMA is part business because it is still a growing sport. Which factors greatly here at the present moment due to the many injuries and other circumstances this year that has ruin big name fights from happening.

I don't think losing a contender fight, even if it was close, means you get a shot without winning another fight

Fans like you are bad for the sport, comparing MMA to any other sport is pointless.

He's comparing popularity in those sports not the sports themselves. The most popular team in the NFL, MLB and NBA doesn't get an automatic shot at the title. In MMA its should be the same way the most popular fighter shouldn't get an automatic title fight he should have to earn it. It should always be the next guy up for MMA Joe Silva should have a good grasp of who deserves it the most and give it to them next and so on. I love Diego Sanchez and he's an exciting fighter and a decent name in MMA since he moved down to LW should he automatically get the shot just because he's exciting and trash talks no because its not fair. I know the UFC has PPV sales to worry about but what message does that send to casual fans that guys coming off losses get automatic title shots. Edgar is the only one deserving of his shot. He's the former LW champ and he's moving down. Sonnen and Diaz do not deserve it not yet. Hell if the UFC really wants them to fight for the belt give them gimme fights I don't care as long as they have a win streak before they challenge the champ

If GSP couldn't handle criticism before, he's in for a shock when Diaz's juvenile stoner army comes out in droves after he 50-45s Nick.

"Pussy!" "He didn't bang!" "Lay and pray!" "Hit and run!"

Get ready, Georges.

Literally nothing you said compares to the NFL.

So if a team beats the steelers and Ravens they should get a shot instead of a team that lost to the Patriots But had beat the sea Hawks and bears. Goodell would then choose who to play in the super bowl against the Giants?

Where is the comparison.

He's saying if the NFL did it like MMA is doing, the most popular teams would automatically play for the SB so the Cowboys vs. Patriots or whoever idk who the most popular teams are. He wasn't comparing it to anything the NFL is doing now it was hypothetical

your talking about a promotion that got away with brawk lesnar fights and couture vs james toney. they will be fine.

He's comparing popularity in those sports not the sports themselves. The most popular team in the NFL, MLB and NBA doesn't get an automatic shot at the title. In MMA its should be the same way the most popular fighter shouldn't get an automatic title fight he should have to earn it. It should always be the next guy up for MMA Joe Silva should have a good grasp of who deserves it the most and give it to them next and so on. I love Diego Sanchez and he's an exciting fighter and a decent name in MMA since he moved down to LW should he automatically get the shot just because he's exciting and trash talks no because its not fair. I know the UFC has PPV sales to worry about but what message does that send to casual fans that guys coming off losses get automatic title shots. Edgar is the only one deserving of his shot. He's the former LW champ and he's moving down. Sonnen and Diaz do not deserve it not yet. Hell if the UFC really wants them to fight for the belt give them gimme fights I don't care as long as they have a win streak before they challenge the champ

College football often plays to the fans with bowl choices though. They try to make it seem "sciencey" with the bcs using math, but it is still a popularity contest driven by who will buy tickets and fill hotel rooms.

your talking about a promotion that got away with brawk lesnar fights and couture vs james toney. they will be fine.

Toney didn't fight for a belt, and at least Brock was coming off a win and posed an interesting style matchup with his size and wrestling ability. This has 50-45 written all over it to anyone who knows these fighters.

More mma fans want diaz vs gsp if u get off sherdog. Hendricks will get his shot after so quit crying or watch something else... gsp wants to fight the top wws and he knows Carlos/Diaz was basically even so he will fight em both. I dont see anybody crying about edgar vs aldo? Edgar lost twice. Diaz via Matt Hughes.

Toney didn't fight for a belt, and at least Brock was coming off a win and posed an interesting style matchup with his size and wrestling ability. This has 50-45 written all over it to anyone who knows these fighters.

if brock lesnar had to climb up the ladder like everyone else and have like 10 fights before the UFC, people would have realized he doesn't react well to punches a long time ago and would have adjusted accordingly. the point is that its never about actual legitimacy its about the $$$$ and the trash talk + GSP = big PPV $$. the next day a few people will bitch about it on sherdog and the UFC will still be the UFC and nobody in the public would know or care that diaz came off a loss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back