Diaz vs GSP is bad for MMA

The more I think about it, the more I think this fight was a part of GSP's negotiations for the Silva super fight.

I think GSP will move up to MW permanently and face Andy, but the Diaz fight was one he did not want to retire from WW without having....so he negotiated a big money Diaz fight in Montreal as his farewell to WW.

You can't compare the fuckin NBA with the UFC. This fight doesn't hurt MMA in any way, shape, or form. Nick is on anyones top 10 list, and a lot of peoples top 5. The last fight he lost was a very controversial decision that definitely could've went his way. Exciting fights between top 10 fighters can't hurt MMA, that's ridiculous.

not necessarily sure that a fight involving gsp can ever be called exciting.

not necessarily sure that a fight involving gsp can ever be called exciting.

I think Nick's style will force GSP to fight. And I don't think this fight goes to a decision. Nick will look for subs off his back while GSP tries to destroy Nick's melon with elbows and G'n'P that can be nasty when he uses it right. I think Diaz wins, and yeah, I'm a Diaz fan, so that is what it is. But I do think this'll be exciting. GSP is pissed, and the last time he was pissed BJ/GSP 2 happened.

Compared a sport that had a playoff and crowns a champ once a year to a sport that has belts that has no playoff and crowns a champ four times a year is stupid. No legitimate argument can be drawn from it.

once again you ignore his point (mainly because you have no actual response) - he was referring to the need for legitimacy, especially when concerning the crowning of champions and nothing else - that point is absolutely valid - you're trying to extend his point to cover grounds he never meant it to cover is where there is no argument

Whenever someone brings up the fact that Diaz doesn't deserve the title shot, the primary response seems to be that Diaz hyped up the fight and that he's exciting. Never mind the fact that he lost his last fight, failed a drug test, hasn't fought in a year, AND already had the opportunity to fight for the title but simply didn't show up to the press conference. Giving Diaz the shot now isn't in our best interest as fans, it's not in MMA's best interest as a sport, hell it's not even Diaz' best interest as contender.

Let's break down the fight and how Diaz is going to keep things interesting. First, does Diaz have the wrestling to keep this fight standing long enough to land his punches in bunches? Has Diaz ever submitted anyone with a ground game like GSP? Will GSP take any unnecessary risks, giving Diaz the opportunity to sink something in? If Diaz can't get a submission or land his combinations often, does he have the versatility to bring a different game plan and adjust?

Is this fight even in Diaz' best interest? He hasn't fought in a year, now he's gonna be pitted against one of the greatest fighters of all time? If he actually stands a chance at beating GSP, why not give him a top 5 fight to simultaneously have him prove he deserves the shot and help him get rid of the ring rust that could seriously hinder him in a title fight.

Meanwhile, you have Hendricks who has already beaten the perennial No. 2 WW and another contender in emphatic fashion. While Diaz has been talking, Hendricks has been garnering attention the way a fighter is supposed to, straight up knocking out his biggest opponents in the first round.

Yes, the UFC is a business and MMA is a spectator sport. But what if the NBA said "Fuck the playoffs, everyone wants to see the Lakers play the Celtics," regardless of either teams' accomplishments that year? All sports have spectators who want something, but you can't treat the athletes that way. The general reaction seems to be "Hendricks deserves it, but Diaz is exciting, so give it to him." Fuck that. he UFC has a deep enough talent pool and has created enough momentum for itself that it doesn't need to simply appease the fans for PPV buys or build up a champion with each title fight. Give the shots to the people who earn them.

STFU and enjoy the show. That is the nature of combat sports. It's how it will always be. You want legit, go watch NBA, or some organized sport. Oh wait they piss hot and draft all the good players.

I think Nick's style will force GSP to fight. And I don't think this fight goes to a decision. Nick will look for subs off his back while GSP tries to destroy Nick's melon with elbows and G'n'P that can be nasty when he uses it right. I think Diaz wins, and yeah, I'm a Diaz fan, so that is what it is. But I do think this'll be exciting. GSP is pissed, and the last time he was pissed BJ/GSP 2 happened.

i hope he forces gsp to fight, but at the same time, nick looking for subs could just cause gsp to play more of a positional game instead of trying to actively attack (as this could expose him to getting caught in something).

once again you ignore his point (mainly because you have no actual response) - he was referring to the need for legitimacy, especially when concerning the crowning of champions and nothing else - that point is absolutely valid - you're trying to extend his point to cover grounds he never meant it to cover is where there is no argument

When you try and use silly and quite frankly ridiculous comparisons to make your point it needs to be addressed.

You can't compare the fuckin NBA with the UFC. This fight doesn't hurt MMA in any way, shape, or form. Nick is on anyones top 10 list, and a lot of peoples top 5. The last fight he lost was a very controversial decision that definitely could've went his way. Exciting fights between top 10 fighters can't hurt MMA, that's ridiculous.

Disagree. It hurts mma's credibility, giving a title-shot to a guy coming off a loss and suspension, with 0 top ten wins. Ordinarily this might pass, but there happens to be a clear-cut correct choice for GSP to fight if he unwilling to fight Anderson. After reeling off 3 straight wins over top-ten opponents, with 2 by way of highlight-reel ko, if there ever was a logical, deserved next opponent for GSP it is Hendricks. The UFC is trading credibility as sport that should be taken seriously for short-term profit and its obvious. Also, what makes you believe GSP/Diaz will be anything but 25min of Georges taking Diaz down at the beginning of the rd and working a conservative top game for the rest of the round? GSP 50-45 all day.

Trying to compare mma to Sports where teams play between 22 and 200 times a year compared to mma which hopefully a championship fight 3 is stupid.

The next game after giants won the super bowl they played the Cowboys. How fucked up is that. The Cowboys weren't even above five hundred the last year and they were playing the giants right after the super.

Just call it another blow to the NFL.

Dude are you fucking mental. I agree with don't compare other sports to MMA but bitching about the Giants opening against the Cowboys is just ludacris. First off you say next game as if they played the next week after the super bowl to defend the title or something. It was a completely different season and they are big time division rivals that's why they opened the season against the Giants. You act as if the Cowboys become super bowl champs for beating them. Try thinking before you type you'll end up looking less stupid

When you try and use silly and quite frankly ridiculous comparisons to make your point it needs to be addressed.

The only difference between the NBA, NFL or MLB and the UFC is that the UFC doesn't start with a fresh slate every season. As I already stated, if you consider the UFC as having one continuous season, then my example is totally applicable. You don't send a team to the playoffs based on the amount of viewers they have each game they play.

Agreed, and you can add Sonnen vs. Jones to the list. At least with Randy vs. Sylvia and Brock vs. randy there was a legit who else question, as well as a legit question of who would win. With the two new fights, they are clearly going to be beat downs while legit contenders sit in the wings(Hendricks and Lyoto).

GSP outwrestled Jon Fitch, Matt Hughes and Josh Koscheck.

He also took down BJ Penn, the man with arguably the best takedown defense in MMA.

I think he can take Diaz down whenever he feels like it and wrestlefuck him if he feels like it.

TS you make a lot of great points and I agree 100 percent. Also everyone trying to give Nick credit saying he lost a controversial decision is dumb the only controversy is that Diaz fans are retarded and think Nick won. I've watched the fight several times as clear as day Condit won it

The only difference between the NBA, NFL or MLB and the UFC is that the UFC doesn't start with a fresh slate every season. As I already stated, if you consider the UFC as having one continuous season, then my example is totally applicable. You don't send a team to the playoffs based on the amount of viewers they have each game they play.

That and the fact that all sports leagues play more games in the playoffs than ufc fighters fight in one year.

Dude are you fucking mental. I agree with don't compare other sports to MMA but bitching about the Giants opening against the Cowboys is just ludacris. First off you say next game as if they played the next week after the super bowl to defend the title or something. It was a completely different season and they are big time division rivals that's why they opened the season against the Giants. You act as if the Cowboys become super bowl champs for beating them. Try thinking before you type you'll end up looking less stupid

Try reading the rest of the thread before you sound any more stupid.

That and the fact that all sports leagues play more games in the playoffs than ufc fighters fight in one year.

That's not the point he's making. He is basically saying popularity shouldn't automatically get you into the championship game or title fight you should earn it. God its really not a hard concept to grasp

No. Hendricks was 2 judges away of being 3-3 in his last 6. MMA fans should not blind stare on wins and losses when fights are that close (Diaz/Condit, Hendricks/Kos}.

Cecil Peoples can still judge main-events.:rolleyes: Hendricks deserves it more in terms of wins in the UFC but Diaz has been around for a long time and many people wanted to see this fight for a long time.

How does that affect this situation? Diaz has been suspended, lost and failed to fulfill his contractual obligations. In what other sport does this merit competing for the championship? If anything, each of these instances is MORE significant because a fighter only competes so many times a year.

Back