Devil's Minions Team-summer Squat Competition

lemmi try to find a good avatar...

Fenn comments posted...

Ok here's my avatar...Chase I like that avatar...looks cool.....google pictures FTW!

I'm maxing tomorrow. I'll be the team sandbagger, because I haven't squatted in months.

So gracious leader.. when I finish the first phase of the 5x5 in a couple of weeks what do you think my next step should be the second phase of 3x3? A heavily squat intensive program? 20 reps or Smolov? Any ideas?

go with smolov...if you got the motivation.....and a good foam roller...haha

Devil I left comments in my log, I THINK I may have figured it out. Just need your input.

I am thinking of giving Smolov a go as well. Reading stonglifts.com Smolov page (How to Add 100 Pounds to Your Squat in 13 Weeks | StrongLifts.com), I think I should get to a 1.5 bodyweight squat first, which is exactly 405 for me at this point. So my idea is to get to that 405 ASAP, while improving my form a little bit and getting comfortable with squatting all the time again. Then, it's time to suck it up and do some Smolov. Any recommendations on anything?

I think I saw that if you're squatting a good deal beforehand you might want to skip the introductory cycle, but I don't want to cut any corners. Any truth to this?

I know I'll have to give up my beloved deadlifts (after I hit my 405 for my other 800 lbs. DL/Squat race), but this is for the fuckin' Minions.

I don't usually like the Soviets, but this seems like an absolutely brutal way for my Summer to be productive.

Here's another Smolov article I'll be using: Another Russian Super Cycle: A Strength Training and Powerlifting article from Dragon Door Publications

I'm getting excited for this. I wanna get going.

DS, do you advise that I should work for a 405 (1.5 BW) first, or just start the Smolov Program from where I am? I read in the stronglifts article that a common mistake is people start with too high a number. I really wanna finish the cycle off and make it all the way through. With the design of the program, gains seem inevitable, but do you think I should hit the 405 first (easier said than done, I know)?

haha i just saw my squat goal is 365... I am doing urban's routine this summer and I tweaked so it is squat intensive so hopefully I can meet that goal because 365 seems nearly impossible right now lol...

haha i just saw my squat goal is 365... I am doing urban's routine this summer and I tweaked so it is squat intensive so hopefully I can meet that goal because 365 seems nearly impossible right now lol...

Nah man, it's not impossible, you got that shit.

I kinda tweaked my quad trying to verify/improve my 1RM last week. I had hurt my foot and I didn't take into account the affect that would have on my stability. I plan to focus on higher reps/less weight for a few weeks, so my squating won't be very impressive, but I hope to have a nice bump in July and August.

Back