Derrick lewis got BEAT yet nobody noticed @stupid fans? Why the UFC hates GRAPPLING ufc 247

smart strategy? Lost him the fight Lol you’re wilding out today bro

Smart strategy wont win fights with dumb fans/judges

Thats the POINT of the thread

Who cares?

The fight sucked.

Though immediately after the fight shit tons of people on SD cited that the decision was wrong. The fight thread is was definitely split amongst “fans.”

But also, the fans don’t decide who wins, so maybe it’s ignorant judges? Or maybe Latifi should have done more damage. Khabib wrestles his way to wins but he also fucks people up while controlling them.

You have valid points

Latifi tried to coast to a win via superior position and did virtually nothing while frustrating fans and promoters

Take home messages is UFC hates grappling

they love Grapplers as long as they throw strikes NOT WIN BY GRAPPLING

The smartest strategy in fight Sports is to hold your opponent down and then attack them when they make an effort to escape because that puts them in a vulnerable position...

If your opponant can get away with STALLING IN AN INFERIOR POSITION (waiting for the magic ref extraction) the contest is getting further and further from a legitimate test of grappling AND striking

Welcome to MMA 2020

Sports entertainment

#gracies were correct

This is how modern MMA should handle the stalling in an inferior position problem

the referee should warn the contestant in an inferior position to work out or he's going to stand you up

If the contestant in the inferior position sales to escape or land significant strikes / catch a submission attempt the referee should stand up the contestants

Because the person in the superior position got ripped off and the person in the inferior position got a save the person in the inferior position should lose points on the judges card

So every time the referee stands you up out of an inferior position you should lose one point on the judges card

This is the exact same problem we have in Judo and wrestling and that an opponent who is losing can crawl out of bounds with no penalty whatsoever and get a magic start over

Derrick Lewis was able to lay against the fence and lay against the wall like a big slug and wait for his magic do over at no cost to his points total

This is a big opportunity for MMA to learn from older wiser Combat Sports

Penalize the athlete that stalling or crawling out of bounds not the athlete that force them to do so

LOL @ STUPID FANS

All fight promotions are sports entertainment corporations this is MMA 101

they are not focused on producing the Pinnacle of sports performance they are focused on providing an entertaining product

If an athlete is in a superior position they are winning the fight this is MMA 101

Derrick Lewis spent most of the fight in an inferior position

He spent most of the fight pressed against the wall or pressed against the ground

Maintaining Superior position is only the slightest of wins

If you remain in an inferior position you must do something dramatic in order to overcome this positional loss

Head Derrick Lewis wobbled his opponent, escaped numerous times and got a few close submissions from the inferior position he could have at least earned a draw

Trouble is Derrick Lewis stalled the same as latifi...he just stalled in an inferior position

Big trouble is Derrick Lewis stalled in an inferior position and waited for the referee to stand him up then failed to hurt or endanger his opponent only landing 1 arm punch in the last min of the fight

ya we pretty much agree on everything. Like I said I scored it for latifi. But where we differ is it happy lewis won regardless of all of that. At least when they were on the feet he was trying to do something more than stall, and landed a few strikes. In my ideal mma world one punch would negate 4:59 of control without any damage or danger. I also agree that based on the entire history of mma lewis should not have won. I’m still happy he did tho lol

This is how modern MMA should handle the stalling in an inferior position problem

the referee should warn the contestant in an INFERIOR position to work out or he's going to stand you up (kinda like they do now)

If the contestant in the INFERIOR position FAILS to escape or land significant strikes / catch a submission attempt the referee should stand up the contestants

Because the person in the SUPERIOR position got ripped off and the person in the INFERIOR position got a free save the person in the INFERIOR position should lose points on the judges card!!!

EVERY time the referee stands you up out of an INFERIOR position you should lose one point on the judges card

This is the exact same problem we have in Judo and folkstyle wrestling in that an opponent who is LOSING can crawl out of bounds with no penalty whatsoever and get a magic start over

Derrick Lewis was able to lay against the fence and lay against the wall like a big slug and wait for his magic do over at no cost to his points total

This is a big opportunity for MMA to learn from older wiser Combat Sports

Penalize the athlete that stalling or crawling out of bounds not the athlete that force them to do so

LOL @ STUPID FANS

Last edited:
ya we pretty much agree on everything. Like I said I scored it for latifi. But where we differ is it happy lewis won regardless of all of that. At least when they were on the feet he was trying to do something more than stall, and landed a few strikes. In my ideal mma world one punch would negate 4:59 of control without any damage or danger. I also agree that based on the entire history of mma lewis should not have won. I’m still happy he did tho lol

That's fine as long as you realize that allowing this type of manipulation in the contest will result in MORE STALLING

The person in the INFERIOR position can now just hold on and wait for the crowd pleasing standup with ZERO penalty

If your ever in trouble just pull guard and hold on

# punchers welfare

You have valid points

Latifi tried to coast to a win via superior position and did virtually nothing while frustrating fans and promoters

Take home messages is UFC hates grappling

they love Grapplers as long as they throw strikes NOT WIN BY GRAPPLING

The smartest strategy in fight Sports is to hold your opponent down and then attack them when they make an effort to escape because that puts them in a vulnerable position...

If your opponant can get away with STALLING IN AN INFERIOR POSITION (waiting for the magic ref extraction) the contest is getting further and further from a legitimate test of grappling AND striking

Welcome to MMA 2020

Sports entertainment

#gracies were correct
Well previously you had guys like Matt Hughes who was absolutely revered and Randy, what’s your thoughts on that period of time? Wrestlers really dominated. Popular with fans and the UFC.

On another note, I don’t agree with you on some things you post on here but I want to give you credit.

When you start a thread you follow up the whole way through and reply to pretty much everyone. That’s not all that common most just fire off a half cooked thread and pop smoke.

Well previously you had guys like Matt Hughes who was absolutely revered and Randy, what’s your thoughts on that period of time? Wrestlers really dominated. Popular with fans and the UFC.

On another note, I don’t agree with you on some things you post on here but I want to give you credit.

When you start a thread you follow up the whole way through and reply to pretty much everyone. That’s not all that common most just fire off a half cooked thread and pop smoke.

The fact is the only publicly funded combat sport in the United States is folkstyle wrestling So It produced the vast majority of our legitimate Fighters in the United States

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/the-real-reason-wrestlers-dominate-the-ufc-american-mma.3959991/

The UFC hoped and dreamed that it could find a big American Slugger that could take on the rest of the world with Mike Tyson style knockouts

But alas....

they had to settle for the lay and pray wall n stall folkstyle wrestling tactic because at least for Once An American could walk away with the title
( as long as they avoided Soviet Bloc war machines steeped in the art of Freestyle Wrestling)

As Freestyle Wrestling is Superior to folkstyle wrestling for MMA and is highly supported by the governments throughout the former Soviet Empire

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...tes-in-ufc-and-wrestling-competition.4006389/

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...rs-in-the-ufc-past-and-present.3969399/page-7

I am probably one of the 5% on this website who are exactly who they say they are and can prove it

I have a long celebrated history in mixed martial arts and I will continue to do so in the future

I'm one of the founding fathers of the sport... I have a bit more invested than the average shedog troll pharm denizen

You looking for a proofreading job??

At least you know how to score a fight
As a MCpl I proofread a lot of documents, so guess I kind of have one. Thank you for your consideration though.

A takedown/slam/throwing someone to the ground should be worth 15 sig. strikes.

The problem with this is that most of you, as well as the ruleset, aren't considering the reality that the takedown itself IS AN ATTACK and not only that, it's the overall most effective attack that exists in martial arts.

It doesn't matter if I throw a single strike at you, if I take you down hard and SLAM you body into the Earth, it's going to bash your skull and rupture your internal organs. It literally happens all the time. People just trip over curbs and fall hard and damage their wrists and elbows, let alone being THROWN and SLAMMED onto your back/head by an elite grappler.

TAKEDOWNS ARE MORE POWERFUL STRIKES THAN EVEN THE STRONGEST HEAVYWEIGHT PUNCHES. The only reason they don't do that much damage is because the UFC is legally obligated to make sure that the canvas of the octagon has a GMAX and HIC is a certain rating so that falling and being slammed isn't debilitating or deadly.

Whether they fought in the cage or on the street, Lewis' punches would be just as powerful as they were, meaning Lewis never actually defeated Latifi with his punches. However, had their fight been on concrete, or dry dirt, or a hardwood floor, or a tiled floor, or any number of actual real environments that aren't regulated to be soft enough to be safe for human impact, Latifi would have broken several of Lewis' bones, cracked his skull open, ruptured his internal organs, and just overall broken him.

If the UFC canvas were made of concrete, every fight would be over with the first hard takedown. TAKEDOWNS ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT AND VALUABLE ATTACK IN ALL MARTIAL ARTS. A good takedown should be worth like 15 sig. strikes

Last edited:
The problem with this is that most of you, as well as the ruleset, aren't considering the reality that the takedown itself IS AN ATTACK and not only that, it's the overall most effective attack that exists in martial arts.

It doesn't matter if I throw a single strike at you, if I take you down hard and SLAM you body into the Earth, it's going to bash your skull and rupture your internal organs. It literally happens all the time. People just trip over curbs and fall hard and damage their wrists and elbows, let alone being THROWN and SLAMMED onto your back/head by an elite grappler.

TAKEDOWNS ARE MORE POWERFUL STRIKES THAN EVEN THE STRONGEST HEAVYWEIGHT PUNCHES. The only reason they don't do that much damage is because the UFC is legally obligated to make sure that the canvas of the octagon has a GMAX and HIC is a certain rating so that falling and being slammed isn't debilitating or deadly.

Whether they fought in the cage or on the street, Lewis' punches would be just as powerful as they were, meaning Lewis never actually defeated Latifi with his punches. However, had their fight been on concrete, or dry dirt, or a hardwood floor, or a tiled floor, or any number of actual real environments that aren't regulated to be soft enough to be safe for human impact, Latifi would have broken several of Lewis' bones, cracked his skull open, ruptured his internal organs, and just overall broken him.

If the UFC canvas were made of concrete, every fight would be over with the first hard takedown. TAKEDOWNS ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT AND VALUABLE ATTACK IN ALL MARTIAL ARTS.

You have a point that modern MMA is advantageous to the striker

in fact athletes punch HARDER with gloves

Padded mats
Stand ups
Gloves

All favor the athlete that throws bombs and has no intention of grappling

Its all about pleasing a crowd that wants to see guys get knocked out not some borring positional point win

Lewis won, end of

Because he landed an arm punch uppercut maybe a few body shots and a slapping haymaker or two

You like the way the ref kept helping him get off the fence and off the ground?

Cormier took down Lewis, but actually did something with it

Latifi just didnt bring the fight

Cormier took down Lewis, but actually did something with it

Latifi just didnt bring the fight

Yeah Latifi just dominated the Grappling...who cares

You have to "do something with it"

Besides all the takedowns

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member