Law Dems blocking Senate relief bill bc it doesn't cancel $10k of student debt

• Thread starter Deleted member 159002
  • Start date
It always comes down to enjoying suffering of those with debt. It makes one feel superior.

Always the arguments against student loan costs and forgiveness is always ´´´´They get what they deserve I dont have any serves them right´´´or something of that sort.
Who said that?

So best practice would be ignore all the other massive amounts of good in the bill, because of the disbursement/discretion portion, and wait until "at least Friday" (new timeline) to try again while rewriting the entire thing and adding the debatable student loan debt wipes to it?

The best practice would be to vote on the provision separately, or have an independent body decide on the disbursement and provide transparency with it. It's just unbelievable that the GOP's knee-jerk reaction is "how can we set this up to hurt poor people and create opportunities for corruption?"

You mean the bill that was mostly written for corporate welfare while only a small fraction is going to the working class family that is impacted
It included expansion of unemployment and funding to hospitals (which is a dire need). You need corporations to stay afloat. There are no jobs without corporations.

Everyone in this thread, just stop. Stop with the ridiculous "Nuh uh YOUR PARTY is corrupt". It's very clear that both parties are trying to inject partisan pork into this and it's turning into a game of hot potato. At this rate, it's going to be a game of who can appeal to their base while taking the necessary steps hostage, whatever you consider those to be.

I think most people in here, outside of those who have an a priori resistance to any form of government assistance program, know the practical steps for demand-side stimulus. If we had any brains, we would be the ones telling BOTH parties to cut it out and get the thing passed. But, we are permanently neutered by this us-versus-them mentality. Mitch and Nancy are probably having cocktails together tonight, and laughing at us.

Da fuck... i just paid off my loan... can I get 10k as well?
I've said for a while now, I kick myself for working hard to pay off my student loans. What a fool I was, thinking I was doing the right thing.

The economy crashing while they stall is a win for them in the long run and they know it. I hope people are paying attention to this.

I realize that most of the people who cosigned this post would literally support anything the Republican Party put forward, even if it entailed immediate suffering for them and loved ones, because suffering physically is still easier than admitting one is an immature rube.

However, for the few others who aren't so pathetic (@MMAisGod and...err, @Gunny maybe?), please see the following:

The disastrous Senate GOP bill:

— Creates a $500,000,000,000 slush fund for corporations that *only* Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin has control over
— Doesn’t require reporting of recipients for six months, i.e. until after the election
— Provides no guarantee that Trump’s own businesses won’t benefit
— Has no worker protections and only one weak restriction on executive bonuses
— Provides only a one-time $1200 check and just $600 for those who need it most

Don’t listen to the pundits trying to spin this as a “partisan battle”. Senate Democrats were absolutely right to hold the line and reject this corporate bailout.

Instead of a $500 billion blank check to corporations, here’s what should be in the Senate bill:

— $2000 every two weeks to every adult for at least two months
— Universal unemployment insurance, with checks sent to *everyone* as early as next week
— Subsidize the states so they can get the unemployment checks out immediately
— Expanded Medicaid so that anybody who needs to go to the hospital is covered
— Money to help hospitals buy masks, ICUs, and ventilators

Don’t believe anybody who says this is complicated. Bail out people, not corporations.

The fact is that the GOP is exploiting a fucking national disaster to further loot the economy, because they know that Democrats will be coerced by reactionary public outcry to get something done. It's insanely slimy. This will just result in, yet again, just like everyone said the tax cuts bill would, in executive cashouts and stock buybacks.

It's important that we're all standing united to give millionaires a break
Dude. I bet you just can't wait until you contract this disease, and they determine that someone else should get your ventilator because they have a better shot at survival. The bill included funding for hospitals and expansion of unemployment, but you obviously need employers to stay afloat in order to have jobs...

It included expansion of unemployment and funding to hospitals (which is a dire need). You need corporations to stay afloat. There are no jobs without corporations.

I don't think people are against bailing out corporations. But there needs to be restrictions on how the money is used.

It always comes down to enjoying suffering of those with debt. It makes one feel superior..

who is to say people that paid off their student loans already didn’t face hardships while honoring their debts and paying it off in time? Do they get a refund or they SOL?

i’m sure they would appreciate free money too. People should feel superior if they don’t fukk up their finances. Isn’t this common knowledge? In large, society labels us as either a winner or a loser based on your/our bank account balance.

who is to say people that paid off their student loans already didn’t face hardships while honoring their debts and paying it off? Do they get a refund or they SOL?

i’m sure they would appreciate free money too.

I just made a thread on this. Being screwed before doesnt mean you then say ´´´time for everyone else to be screweed´´´

at some point end the suffering. It would be nice and I would support compensation for you in this case

We should get people the relief money as fast as possible without arguing.
no way man businesses who employ people are getting money this is madness and had to be stopped, who cares of people would of got money in the mail faster. It's time to politic !

I realize that most of the people who cosigned this post would literally support anything the Republican Party put forward, even if it entailed immediate suffering for them and loved ones, because suffering physically is still easier than admitting one is an immature rube.

However, for the few others who aren't so pathetic (@MMAisGod and...err, @Gunny maybe?), please see the following:

The disastrous Senate GOP bill:

— Creates a $500,000,000,000 slush fund for corporations that *only* Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin has control over
— Doesn’t require reporting of recipients for six months, i.e. until after the election
— Provides no guarantee that Trump’s own businesses won’t benefit
— Has no worker protections and only one weak restriction on executive bonuses
— Provides only a one-time $1200 check and just $600 for those who need it most

Don’t listen to the pundits trying to spin this as a “partisan battle”. Senate Democrats were absolutely right to hold the line and reject this corporate bailout.

Instead of a $500 billion blank check to corporations, here’s what should be in the Senate bill:

— $2000 every two weeks to every adult for at least two months
— Universal unemployment insurance, with checks sent to *everyone* as early as next week
— Subsidize the states so they can get the unemployment checks out immediately
— Expanded Medicaid so that anybody who needs to go to the hospital is covered
— Money to help hospitals buy masks, ICUs, and ventilators

Don’t believe anybody who says this is complicated. Bail out people, not corporations.

The fact is that the GOP is exploiting a fucking national disaster to further loot the economy, because they know that Democrats will be coerced by reactionary public outcry to get something done. It's insanely slimy. This will just result in, yet again, just like everyone said the tax cuts bill would, in executive cashouts and stock buybacks.

Agreed. However, lets hope the 10000 student loan forgiveness can make its way in there. That would at least make this bill worth it. Plus the fact that soon, people will really need that money.

The best practice would be to vote on the provision separately, or have an independent body decide on the disbursement and provide transparency with it.

This is the second time you yourself are making better points than the approach the party is currently taking. Great, then push for that. I wouldn't want to see CEO's raking in large portions of relative to the worker from the corp portion of the bailout. Put the heat on Republicans to add tighter restrictions, or mandatory restrictions, an independent body, etc. However, what you don't do is waste time talking about rewriting the whole thing that already benefits most people, adding much longer than needed delays, adding extra bickering on top of the bickering that was going to naturally occur, lying on tv about the proposal, and throwing in hotly debated topics like student debt wipeouts. No one benefits in this scenario except people trying to play politics. Instead, they should be fighting for exactly what you just posted to expedite relief to the American people since the actual money involved is unprecedented, and going largely in part to those in need.

It's just unbelievable that the GOP's knee-jerk reaction is "how can we set this up to hurt poor people and create opportunities for corruption?"

I haven't seen them (yet) fighting to keep the "Mnuchin will handle all" end of it. I think it's a worse knee-jerk reaction to only focus on the couple of things that are bad as a reason for rejection, rather than the overwhelming things that are good as a reason for working together to fix and finalize.

It would be great if we could start limiting the number of threads based on false premises that reach multiple pages. Dump.

The biggest scandal to me is that they think a one time $1200 check is going to stop the slide into the abyss. It won’t. If this is all that’s on the table in terms of direct relief in the face of a catastrophe that’s going to make the Great Depression look like a cake walk then we’re well and truly fucked. There’s gonna be blood in the streets.

The biggest scandal to me is that they think a one time $1200 check is going to stop the slide into the abyss. It won’t. If this is all that’s on the table in terms of direct relief in the face of a catastrophe that’s going to make the Great Depression look like a cake walk then we’re well and truly fucked. There’s gonna be blood in the streets.
Thats only the part of the bill to keep people spending money. There's more aid in there than that.
Honestly its the only part of it that would make any difference for me.
Whats going to "keep us from sliding into the abyss" is making sure the economy doesn't totally fail.

Another Alt account started this week. All parroting the exact same talking points. What’s that 3 now? This website is so funny it allows this to go on

It would be great if we could start limiting the number of threads based on false premises that reach multiple pages. Dump.

if you don’t like something you can choose not to participate. You can’t even do that.

Back